Godin LGX-SA / LGXT/ xtSA with 2020 LR-Baggs piezos

Started by Sanji.Bo, May 29, 2021, 02:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazerdriver

Quote from: admin on November 18, 2021, 09:29:01 PM

In 2021, after Godin dropped RMC and went with the lower cost LR Baggs Piezos on LGXT, LGX-SA, xtSA, it makes iGuitar Brian Moore guitars with RMC piezos more attractive,
http://iguitarworkshop.com/

So what do I need to know about Brian Moore iguitars in terms of piezo? I have seen some used korean made models for sale. They have the 13 pin jack but don't have the usb jack so I assume they must be older models. Do all of Brian Moore iguitar regardless of year use RMC? Are there particular years or time periods of RMC that should be avoided due to known problems?

admin

All Brian Moore employ RMC Piezos,

Older models use RMC  polydrive Boards without sub filters

All have very thin profile Necks 

lazerdriver

Quote from: admin on November 21, 2021, 11:27:49 AM
All Brian Moore employ RMC Piezos,

Older models use RMC  polydrive Boards without sub filters

All have very thin profile Necks

Do you happen to know which model of Poly Drive board they used on Godin before switching to LR Baggs? They have two different models listed specifically for electric guitar, "I" and "V". The model "IV" says for acoustic, but also says used in Godin multi-AC guitars (which is how Godin classifies the LGXT).

admin

RMC provided custom Polydrive boards to Brian Moore

But all depends on the year/model

Always ask for gut pics when buying used

Same model Brian Moore guitar may have a different polydrive piezo preamp board , depending on year

Kevin M

Quote from: lazerdriver on November 24, 2021, 09:10:52 AM
Do you happen to know which model of Poly Drive board they used on Godin before switching to LR Baggs? They have two different models listed specifically for electric guitar, "I" and "V". The model "IV" says for acoustic, but also says used in Godin multi-AC guitars (which is how Godin classifies the LGXT).

I'm not familiar enough with the variants of RMC boards, but I believe somewhere around 2012-ish a new version was put in Godin synth-ready guitars that improved performance with Roland guitar. I have a 2020 LGXT that has an RMC board. I can look for a version marker on it when I get a chance.

admin

Quote from: Kevin M on November 24, 2021, 10:01:26 AM
I'm not familiar enough with the variants of RMC boards, but I believe somewhere around 2012-ish a new version was put in Godin synth-ready guitars that improved performance with Roland guitar. I have a 2020 LGXT that has an RMC board. I can look for a version marker on it when I get a chance.

Should look like this 2011-2020 era RMC Polydrive-X board

These were only available on Godin guitars , designed with built in 2 pole active sub filters by Richard McClish (CEO of RMC)

Robert Godin sons decided to cut costs, and drop RMC for LR Baggs in 2021, but none of Robert Godin sons who run Godin today  use VGuitar systems so they remain clueless why dropping RMC  was a huge mistake

lazerdriver

Well I returned the 2021 LGXT at no cost to me. If people stop buying the new ones, or keep buying them then returning them, due to the cheap preamps maybe Godin will get the message and eventually return to RMC (but probably at a $300 increase in price) or drop the line completely.

Kevin M

Quote from: admin on November 24, 2021, 10:04:09 AM

These were only available on Godin guitars , designed with built in 2 pole active sub filters by Richard McClish (CEO of RMC)

Robert Godin sons decided to cut costs, and drop RMC for LR Baggs in 2021, but none of Robert Godin sons who run Godin today  use VGuitar systems so they remain clueless why dropping RMC  was a huge mistake

That's it.

admin

Quote from: lazerdriver on November 28, 2021, 07:39:50 AM
Well I returned the 2021 LGXT at no cost to me. If people stop buying the new ones, or keep buying them then returning them, due to the cheap preamps maybe Godin will get the message and eventually return to RMC (but probably at a $300 increase in price) or drop the line completely.

They would probably drop the line

Today, only GK13 processors available as new are GR-55, and SY-1000, and 6Appeal , and at 2020 NAMM Show,  Godin had many models on display , but chose not to show any GK 13 output "SA" models

lazerdriver

Quote from: admin on November 24, 2021, 10:04:09 AM

Question on the Polydrive-X board: How are the piezos connected to the board? Hard-wired or via ribbon cable?

admin

Each RMC saddle employs coax cable. Each cable (6) are manually Soldered to RMC Polydrive PC board

A high percentage left Godin factory mis wired 2011-2020
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5838.0

The current Godin Production line no doubt prefers assembling the 2021 LR Baggs assembly, with fast plug in ribbon cables -no doubt the LR Baggs saves 15 minutes soldering  labor  per guitar vs RMC

lazerdriver

Quote from: admin on November 30, 2021, 02:07:20 PM
Each RMC saddle employs coax cable. Each cable (6) are Soldered to RMC Polydrive PC board

A high percentage left Godin factory mis wired 2011-2020
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5838.0

Good to know in case I decide to purchase a used one. Thanks!

CodeSmart

I had an issue with my xtSA on one of the pickups. One string was very weak, so I just cut the plastic cable tie on the particular pickup coax cable and the release in stress/tension made it work perfectly again. Just saying in case someone is having the same problem. Been working perfectly in 7 years since the surgery.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

lazerdriver

Quote from: admin on November 30, 2021, 02:07:20 PM
Each RMC saddle employs coax cable. Each cable (6) are manually Soldered to RMC Polydrive PC board

I notice the soldering of the piezo leads looks really good in your picture. Did you do this yourself?

Here is a photo of a Poly-Drive X board in an LGXT and the soldering of the piezos does not look as good. Is this typical work of Godin assembly or does it look like the work of a DIY'er?

admin

Quote from: lazerdriver on December 05, 2021, 09:35:47 AM
I notice the soldering of the piezo leads looks really good in your picture. Did you do this yourself?

Here is a photo of a Poly-Drive X board in an LGXT and the soldering of the piezos does not look as good. Is this typical work of Godin assembly or does it look like the work of a DIY'er?
All my pictures are factory wiring
The Godin assembly quality varies substantially. Depending  on the employee holding the soldering iron that day over the past 25 years

When negotiating for a 2011-2020 Godin xtSA/ LGCT/LGX-SA with RMC electronics. try to get the seller to supply a photo of the RMC PolyDrive PC Board  - this upgraded GK preamp board was designed specifically for these model guitars , includes active sub filters to minimize tracking errors , improve perfomance with Roland / Boss VGuitar Modeling Systems

see blue circles for RMC PolyDrive PCB  date codes

in center =  ©2011

on right   = 110818 = 2011, August 18

This PCB was used only on 2011-2020 Godin xtSA/ LGCT/LGX-SA with RMC electronics.