GR-33- firmware upgrade

Started by de073823, April 11, 2021, 02:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

de073823

Hi
I decided to upgrade the GR-33 to 1.03 fro m 1.02......silly

Now after a fail its giving me the Flash Rom message

help

Ive tried to multiple times on Mac ( preferred) PcC & Ipad but it never gets the 'All Complete' message and seems to want more data after the 16th file has been loaded

Any tips or tricks?

Thx

gumtown

No, that's it, a brick, the only fix is for Roland Service Center to replace the whole main board at cost of a new GR-33 (when they were new).
I doubt there are GR-33 main boards floating around, it's a goner. Sorry ..
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

de073823

;D
Success
Hers's how I did it on my Mac
The link to the SMF update program for the 33 on the Roland site is broken
Use the Gr-20 version
Download the update zip file for 1.03  - USE THE PC version
Run the GR20 MAc updatye program with the 33 PC download files
Success!!!!!!!

de073823

Extra question
What is the differences between 1.02 & 1.03 firmware?

Any ideas

gumbo

Quote from: de073823 on April 18, 2021, 02:02:52 AM
Extra question
What is the differences between 1.02 & 1.03 firmware?

Any ideas

A whole lot of work for the user of a 21-Y-O bit of kit, by the sound of it.....  :-X 
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Rolloq

***Gr-33 SYSTEM UPDATE***

** This update corrects the channel which is used for sending Volume while in Poly Mode.

Rolloq

Chumly

Good on you de073823, for discovering how to update the firmware and un-brick your GR33.  I have a GR-33 as well and also have a bit of a preoccupation for keeping firmware up to date, so I sympathize with your endeavors.  I wonder what version my GR-33 is running; it does sound a bit fiddly to perform the update, on the other hand you've paved the way to success with your tears.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

admin

Remember when using Roland SMF Player to perform firmware updates, load each  SMF file manually-do not allow the SMF Player to auto sequence multiple SMF files for loading the firmware update -as that clobbers the checksum return for each SMF file and bricks the unit

Not obeying this bricked many a Roland VG-88

Chumly

Thank you for that, one at a time it is, I guess it's now just a question of what version the thing is on and if it's worth the futz, as opposed to playing some tunes for the pleasure of the pleasure of...
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Chumly

GR33 I: Ver 1.01
GR33 E: Ver 1.02
GR30 (I have not checked)
VG-99 (I have not checked)
Roland JV1010 (I have not checked)
Other gear (I have not checked)
Dog Ver 6.0
Wife Ver 3.0

admin

Gr-33 Service manual explains all

Read the GR-33 FAQ to locate it
(Bottom of 1st post)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14682.0

izayoi

I just went through this ordeal yesterday with my old and lovely GR-33.

Just to clarify: the issue is with the firmware 1.03 .mid files for Mac (with a 2004 date) which are corrupted. The firmware 1.03 files for PC are different .mid files with a 2002 date; these files will work.

These files are OLD. They were compressed as a Stuffit Expander file. I don't think I've seen a Stuffit file in 10 years at least.

No need to even attempt to use the Roland SMF player software at this point. Not sure about the Windows version, but the Mac version will not run on a modern Mac system. I used MOTU Digital Performer 11 with a Midi Interface hooked up to the GR-33 and all went smoothly (the second time). :-)

Elantric

izayoi

Quote from: Elantric on October 29, 2023, 03:55:51 PMUpdSMF is the Roland SMF updater app for MacOS

https://www.roland.com/ca/support/by_product/a-01/updates_drivers/

The Mac version of the Roland SMF updater looks like it hasn't been updated in quite a while. Under Mac OS Ventura, it gave me a security warning that it couldn't verify the author and refused to load the software. There might be a way to get around that, but I just went ahead and opened MOTU Digital Performer, and that worked fine. For this task, any decent midi sequencer should work.

Out of curiosity, I downloaded the Windows version of the Roland SMF updater, and it works on my Lenovo running Windows 10.