Potentially dumb question - please be patient

Started by Wghall, March 09, 2021, 04:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wghall

So I haven't been using my Katana mark1 100 for a while and have just pulled it back. I'm having an issue I can't quite explain.  I loaded a patch, using fxfloorboard on a Mac,  from guitar patches.com - the 3 dumbles to be specific. It sounded amazing.  I then saved it to one of the 8 memory locations on the amp and reloaded and it sounded different.  Quieter and less "brightness" or " presence" for want of a better word - but distinctly different.  I also noticed the effect order had changed.  The same effects were on, and those were in the same order, but the other ones shown in the chain were placed differently.  All effect settings, amp settings, global eq was exactly there same whether the patch was loaded from guitar patches or the amp memory location. 

Anyone have any idea why it would be different? I did go further to check with a few more patches and they exhibited the same behaviour so it's not just patch specific.  Thanks Warren

Ps will also post this on the boss kata Facebook page to see if anyone there has an idea

Brent Flash

admin

Check your firmware and if the patch is compatible with your specific firmware

many here stick with older Katana MK1 firmware ,after gumtown (with help from many others here) unlocked all the hidden Sneaky Amps  ( GT-100 V2 Amp models) and Tera Echo

But subsequent Katana firmware releases killed off access to a few of those features

Wghall

I'm at the latest version of firmware.  Like I said - when I load the patch directly from guitar patches.com via fxfloorboard it sounds amazing.  Only when I write to a memory bank on the amp and reload it it seems to lose both volume and presence.  Are there settings from the patch that aren't saved when you write it? I went through each setting all seemed to be the same?

gumtown

It depends on the patch, as the MK1 and MK2 Katanas are similar on the outside and in hardware, but the internal patch structure is very different.
MK2 patches will load into FxFloorBoard and convert to MK1, but some feature differences don't copy over, such as the brighter variation preamps in the MK2, which the mk1 does not have.

Sometimes a custom chain order can be difficult for the editor to write into the Katana on saving directly to the katana memory,
if the chain order changes when reading the saved patch back from the Katana,
try loading the patch file back into the editor, where it sounded good on the Katana,
and save the patch directly on the Katana panel by pressing and holding the channel button for 5 seconds.
This is a firmware limitation of the Katana, where some chain orders get ignored during the remote midi write process, but direct access panel buttons do allow the custom chain order to be saved.
Even though parameters can be exactly the same, a different chain order will upset the sound of the output tone.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Wghall

Thank you. I tested your theory and it seems to have resolved the issue. By saving with the panel switch it seems to preserve all the parameters in the correct configuration.

Thank you