Output settings / speaker simulation

Started by gt5and6, October 29, 2020, 01:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt5and6

Has it ever been established how GT-6 output settings were intended to be used?
What would be the best settings to run the GT-6 into the return of a Marshall head attached to a 4x12?

From the GT-6 manual I understand that the board should be set to STACK RETURN.
But this leads to extremely muddy and sound stripped from any dynamic.
If output is set to STACK RETURN, the speaker simulation no longer has microphone settings.

Is this a bug?

If the output concept had been implemented properly, it should reflect the tonal characteristics of the output device.
As a stack provides more bottom end than a combo, the signal should reflect this, right.
The compensated signal running into a Combo should add some bass and treble should be a tad lower.
However, it's the other way round. Choosing COMBO RETURN, the signal is much brighter.

Has nobody ever noticed the flawed logic, or what am I missing here?
How can it be beneficial to strip mike settings from speaker simulation settings, if the GT-6 is attached to an STACK RETURN instead of a PA?

gumtown

The theory is that Line/Phones Output select setting adds speaker cabinet simulation as phones and PA/monitor systems are full range, and speaker simulation cuts the lows and highs, and boosts the low-mids a bit, to simulate the narrow bandwidth of a guitar speaker in a cabinet.

The other output select options assume you are already running through a guitar speaker/cabinet (of limited frequency bandwidth) and disable the cabinet simulator controls, as they are not required.

I would not read much into the options names, and use your ears to set which suits your gear the best.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gt5and6

This is what I assumed as well.
However, it seems to be the other way:
In theory, a signal with speaker simulator on fed into full range PA should have less treble.
In contrast a signal with speaker simulator on fed into a STACK RETURN needed to boost treble.

And this is contrary to how the GT-6 signal is being treated in the GT-6.

Shingles

Some Marshall amps have a switch inside the input Jack that wholely or partially mutes the power amp when nothing is plugged in. To test this, turn down the gain controls on your head, then plug a spare lead into the normal input.
Does this alter the sound you get by connecting the GT6 to the return?

Secondly, don't forget that the GT6 has a master EQ section that enables you to compensate for the character of whatever amp you are using.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3