...aaaand back it goes.

Started by Antonuzzo, October 20, 2020, 02:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antonuzzo

After the best part of two months, I'm selling off my Helix.

It's an incredible device but it just isn't working for me. Here's a balanced look at the pros and cons from my viewpoint - and I hasten to add that this is entirely subjective. Another person will have an entirely different experience with it and more success than I've had.

The good

The sound. The tones are incredible. There's a sense of realism and dynamism to the amps and the effects. The latter in particular are very impressive - the RAT and Electric Mistress options are as close to their real-world counterparts as you'll get.

The tweakability. So. Many. Parameters. You can sculpt your presets endlessly.

The connectivity. Every input and output you could imagine and four effects loops. Wow.

The form factor. It's built like a tank and in fact, you could probably roll a tank over it.

The support. Line6 are still actively updating this machine, and adding new models continuously.

The bad

The sound. I seemed to get lots of feedback, even at low levels; probably my own fault for using a Tele... but even using a snapshot to do nothing other than turn on a flanger would sometimes just introduce upper harmonic components that caused instant feedback.

The Tweakability. It seems intuitive to use... but the sheer wealth of variables is its downfall for me. Balancing levels and EQ between snapshots and patches is a serious undertaking, and one that I found myself losing interest in, rapidly. Others might (and indeed have) a different experience, but I'm used to the quick patch building in Roland units; the Helix demands just a bit too much of me.

The connectivity. The HX Edit software doesn't have an audio pass-through, and it needs one. If your unit is permanently connected to your computer, you're probably used to monitoring through your DAW - which isn't possible when HX Edit is using the USB connection. Again, this might be just me - but combined with my struggle to create patches, it's a speedbump for me.

The form factor. It's built like a tank... and I haven't got room for a tank...

The support. No printed manual! Not that it would help; the manual is amusingly written, but explains almost nothing about the effects and amps, or how to use them.

So, sadly - I'm parting company with the Helix. It is a seriously impressive bit of kit and it's clear that other users don't have the problems that I've had. But I think it's a case of sticking with what you know - and what delivers the results for you.

gumtown

I had the Helix Lt for a few months, and my findings similar to yours,
what I found was the sound coming out of the speaker was nice, but it didn't correlate to my playing dynamic.
Kind of like over-processed dynamics.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

QuoteI seemed to get lots of feedback, even at low levels; probably my own fault for using a Tele... but even using a snapshot to do nothing other than turn on a flanger would sometimes just introduce upper harmonic components that caused instant feedback.

Wax pot your pickups
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=43.0

QuoteThe connectivity. The HX Edit software doesn't have an audio pass-through, and it needs one. If your unit is permanently connected to your computer, you're probably used to monitoring through your DAW - which isn't possible when HX Edit is using the USB connection. Again, this might be just me - but combined with my struggle to create patches, it's a speedbump for me.

Windows only allows one MIDI connection to Helix at a Time,
And Audio can not be rereouted to separate hardware I/O without  adding crackles or high latency, or flat not allowing the audio to
Pass
Part of the benefit of Apple Macs for music is their ability for MIDI and Audio  Devices to connect to multiple applications at same time - not possible on Windows

Antonuzzo

Quote from: admin on October 20, 2020, 02:53:14 AM
Part of the benefit of Apple Macs for music is their ability for MIDI and Audio  Devices to connect to multiple applications at same time - not possible on Windows

It's a pity that they haven't implemented that, then! I'm using a Mac.

JiveTurkey

Welcome to Helix  ;D

1. The good: Frank Ritchotte

2. The bad: the sound.

Good luck in wherever you land next.

mooncaine

Quote from: admin on October 20, 2020, 02:53:14 AM
Thank you so much for that clear and distinct comparison! Tho' I've lusted after Windows PCs recently (quarantine, gaming, experiments), I'd be crushed to discover that I couldn't connect multiple audio or MIDI apps to my connected (and built-in) audio/midi hardware.

Whew! I need to be reminded of this essential advantage of the Mac every now & then. Still mystified why Windows doesn't handle this better in 2020. I hoped that by now, Windows would be able to do this.