VController based GA-FC alternative for Boss Katana MK II

Started by Willem Smith, August 16, 2020, 02:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willem Smith

When I saw another guy walking into our practice studios carrying a Boss Katana Head I decided I wanted one myself.
I allready own a Boss Katana 100 Mk1, which I like very much, but it is too heavy to carry it to practice every week.
I have a GA-FC controller with the Katana but being an electronics hobbyist I decided I would like to build something like that myself. I realise it will not be much cheaper to build one myself and will take a lot of time but the fun off building it myself to my own specifications is what makes it interesting to me.

Before starting my project I read lots of articles about GA-FC alternatives and stumbled upon the V-Controller by Six-Eight.
I was very impressed with the way his design was setup and documented. The way the software and the electronics are designed (very modular and well thought out) made me decide this was a good starting point for my project.

I contacted Six-Eight (we both live in the Netherlands, coincidence :)) and he told me he had a PCB laying around which could be used and that there was a lot of demand for a controller that was comtatible with the Boss Katana MK II. So I got a PCB and started to design.

I want my controller to have the following specifications:
  • 6 (programmable) footswitches in a row next to each other (like the GA-FC)
  • 4 displays (16 * 2 characters) above the left 4 switches showing relevant information
  • 6 Neopixel Leds next to the footswitches showing some easy to recognize status colors
  • 1 master display (20 * 4 characters) above the right 2 switches.
  • USB-connection to the Boss Katana
  • 2 connections for expression pedals.

I plan to build my controller in 3 stages:
  • build and test the controller for basic functionality of the displays and switches
  • test the controller and adapt the software on the Katana Mk I
  • test the controller and adapt the software on the Katana Mk II

At the moment the first stage is finished.
I will describe all steps for those who are interested.
Questions and reactions are welcome.

Willem Smith

2 pictures off my build so far

Front/top image

Bottom/inside image

AlaMiz17

Dear Willem,
I bought my first KATANA MKII 50W last month.
And the lack of control except 4 patches is an issue for me...

I saw the VController from Six-Eight, and found it great, but too complicated for me.
Although I am also an Electronics Engineer, I didn't want something that complete.

I can help and support your project for something that could look like a GA-FC.
I am based in France.

Alain

admin

Quote from: AlaMiz17 on September 06, 2020, 12:50:10 AM
Dear Willem,
I bought my first KATANA MKII 50W last month.
And the lack of control except 4 patches is an issue for me...

I saw the VController from Six-Eight, and found it great, but too complicated for me.
Although I am also an Electronics Engineer, I didn't want something that complete.

I can help and support your project for something that could look like a GA-FC.
I am based in France.

Alain

Might be redundant

Look at several DIY Katana Foot controllers here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=240.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22174.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25185.msg184049#msg184049

Willem Smith

Project Update  :D

Stage 2 of the project is finished (more or less)

With some tinkering on the hardware and a new configuration for the controller from SIxEight I've now got a good functioning controller for the Katana MKI.
I am still discovering all possibilities of the controller in this stage so there may be (minor) changes in the future.

The picture shows what you see as a user of the controller:

The first 4 buttons (1 ..4 from left to right) select a patch in the controller (and the connected Katana). The coresponding displays show the names of the patches. The Leds next to the buttons show which patch is selected.
The buttons 5 and 6 do bank up (6) and bank down (5).

In the picture bank 2 is selected and from this bank patch 1 (Clean Acoustic) is selected.

The controller (and the patches and effects) can be controlled by VCEdit (by SIxEight) and FX Floorboard (by Gumtown)

A more detailed description of the possibilities will be posted later if people are interested.

Next step is sending my Katana Head MKII to SixEight so that he can figure out how to make the controller fit for the Katana MkII.

whippinpost91850