GTX100 - pulled the trigger

Started by Smash, July 20, 2020, 07:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

It's perfect for what I need right now.

Hardest part was finding stock - many stores in UK not showing new stock due until October! Must be selling well.

Have 2 days to set up a couple of patches for rehearsal Thursday. Looking forward to it!

admin

^ Look forward to hearing more of your experiences with your Mustang GTX 100 w/ GTX-7 foot switch

Smash

I'm already looking forward to the grab and go factor rather than all the cords and faff involved with 2 FRFR and whatever modeller I'm using.

The blues band just needs the classic Fender edge if break up stuff (deluxe or tweed or whatever) and reverb in front of amp (a must). Plus trem/vibrator type FX. From what I can tell from the Andertons video it's perfect for this.

But it's going yo be a shock to the system as I haven't had a "proper" guitar amp since about 1990!!! True amp in the room here I come!!

Smash

Well a medium sized, very light box arrived today. First impressions, nice looking amp, horrible cheap looking knobs.

Amps really don't sound great at very low levels do they - bit if shock after FRFR modelling.

I now remember about things like speaker break in.

Went to rehearsal room tonight. It's bloody loud! Volume transforms it and within about an hour I became very comfortable with it. Very different experience to FRFR - the sound is everywhere. To quote the singer it's not "hear it, hear it, can't hear it, can't hear it" depending where he moves around - you can hear the amp everywhere. I totally get the amp in the room.

They nailed preset 1 clean twin - great spring board tone. Just really, really nice. Another stand out is BB mid gain (Bassbreaker) - what a lead tone! Sounded amazing cranked with 335. I could have wasted hours on that one.

Interstingly we ran his Audix fireball straight in and ran through some of the models while he was playing harp. He didn't want to admit it but the bassman model sounded incredible and creamed his Fender Blues Deluxe 212. And here the valve vs modelling stigma came out - even though it sounded amazing he just could never buy a modelling amp, has to be valves even though on the night the GTX was the winner.

57 Tweed is nice. Fender Deluxe is a bit harsh with default settings but easily tweaked. Princeton real nice but might not cut through in band.

It's easy to add and move effects - won't take any time to dial in a few core tones.

The pitch shifter was much better than expected, clean shifting and good enough to sell my Digitech drop which I use for a tone drop on one song. So truly self contained now.

Tuner works well on GTX7, could have done with couple if extra LEDs each side of the centre tune marker but not the end of the world.

Just ordered EXP1 to go with it. The spring verbs aren't as good as Bias FX2 stereo spring- it doesn't hut the front end as hard when put ahead of the amp but it's minor.

I could see myself getting a single 12 extension to run in stereo maybe but not essential. I think the twin, 57 and deluxe will cover everything I need for the band material.

Presets are typically mixed bag. 8 think a lot more can be coaxed out of it than the presets suggest.

Overall then a good experience with a couple of excellent tones straight of the bat. Enough effects to cover everything and high quality but not too many options to cause paralysis.

The tone app should allow you to drag FX blocks around in the pre and post  positions without having to go into the reorder option - just not very slick.

This will easily cover gig levels but I did notice a little low end fluff fro  the speaker on the harmonic vibrato patch at high volume but nowhere near max. I suspect a speaker upgrade could give useful benefits...

Great little amp.

Smash

Today I ploughed my headphones in.

First point the headphone jack feels exceptionally fragile and "scratchy".

Select patch and.....Euch!!!! Not good.

Anything with drive sounds not good- like there's no speaker emulation but rather a high end cut. Just horrible.

I was hoping to be able to set patches up via phones and tweak live but no way that will happen. The BB25 mid patch that sounded so awesome at decent volume last night sounded completely different. It almost reminds me of DI-ing from an amps speaker out

And as said at low home level the speaker isn't working hard enough to help shape the tone so not great either.

Can't see how someone would want this as a practice amp unless they practice at a decent volume.

For me it's a gig only amp.

I'm actually rethinking now and wondering whether a powered guitar cab in conjunction with Bias would be a better way to go now I know I like the amp in room effect. Hmmmm...

admin

Quote from: Smash on July 22, 2020, 09:36:19 AM
Today I ploughed my headphones in.

First point the headphone jack feels exceptionally fragile and "scratchy".

Select patch and.....Euch!!!! Not good.

Anything with drive sounds not good- like there's no speaker emulation but rather a high end cut. Just horrible.

I was hoping to be able to set patches up via phones and tweak live but no way that will happen. The BB25 mid patch that sounded so awesome at decent volume last night sounded completely different. It almost reminds me of DI-ing from an amps speaker out

And as said at low home level the speaker isn't working hard enough to help shape the tone so not great either.

Can't see how someone would want this as a practice amp unless they practice at a decent volume.

For me it's a gig only amp.

I'm actually rethinking now and wondering whether a powered guitar cab in conjunction with Bias would be a better way to go now I know I like the amp in room effect. Hmmmm...

Not my experience at all

The 3.5mm TRS Headphone Out is no less durable than same on Boss GP10
( My Mustang GTX on Headphones sounds 1000% better than my Katana headphone Out  - and has stereo fx

Using ATH-M40X headphones. 
Each Mustang GT/GTX Amp has 33 available burned in rom  IR cab sims on tap   - use one that suits your ears 

MUSTANG GTX (GT FW3.0) ALL PARAMETERS 4/30/2020
- All available settings for each Amp/Cab/FX
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Gm-PJbjpgWETWC_3hN5Mf0VN5K3n08U/view?usp=sharing

MUSTANG GTX (GT FW3.0) ALL PATCH LIST 4/30/2020
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15wJ2ahBScsp1lHNvwW0u8_xez4tnuvOS

Review the Mustang GT/GTX Parameters

FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20910.0

Smash

Brilliant spreadsheet reference - Thank you!

I'm not seeing sag and bias options in the app and didn't see them on the amp display - where are they lurking?

All the overdrive pedals sound nasty with the Twin or Deluxe - can't find anything that gives a nice lift without making a mess.

I think j need to download some patches from cloud and see how others have gone about it.

I'm using AKG 451 headphones as I use with BiasFX2 and Tonestack - the difference is night and day between the two. The best way I can describe it is the GTX driven tones just sound ratty (harsh). I've also noticed the Deluxe has some weird overtones on typical blues 7 chord e.g. x54555 as the chord rings out.

Maybe I have a duff unit?

JiveTurkey

Quote from: Smash on July 22, 2020, 03:20:04 PM
Brilliant spreadsheet reference - Thank you!

I'm not seeing sag and bias options in the app and didn't see them on the amp display - where are they lurking?

All the overdrive pedals sound nasty with the Twin or Deluxe - can't find anything that gives a nice lift without making a mess.

I think j need to download some patches from cloud and see how others have gone about it
Scroll to the far right, last page of the amp model settings where you choose the cabinet emulation.

Smash

Quote from: JiveTurkey on July 22, 2020, 03:30:02 PM
Scroll to the far right, last page of the amp model settings where you choose the cabinet emulation.

Thanks. Is this on the amp? I'm using the Android app and there's only 2 pages per amp just volume gain and EQ. Cab selection is a separate icon.

Smash

To put some positives out the acoustic SIM is nicely restrained too often they sound thin and have that ice pick at 6/7k.

The GTX doesn't have that - a couple if the models are quite sweet and usable sat in a mix of a band.

Choruses, vibratos, delays and verbs all great. Stereo is lush for stereo FX and all are high quality.

I obviously need to spend a load more time trying to suss out what works on the driven tones. There are very few decent springboard in the presets and the Andertons review was right, the gain is cranked way too high on almost all the distortion patches. Leaving aside tone, the amps are all very dynamic and touch responsive. The stand outs are the Fender clean amps but I can't make them seem to play well with the internal dirt stomps and the Bassbreaker is another fav. My go tos at the moment are the Twin reverb and 57 twin with my 335.

Putting patches together is fairly painless but the default positioning of FX when you add them hadn't had any logic applied. For example if you've got a comp ad pre FX already and add say a delay it stick it in front if compressor rather than after. It just default adds to the left. The work around is work out your pedal chain and add it backwards. The reason I mention is this is because every time you add a stomp almost inevitably you tgen have to go through the reorder process which is a bit irky. Likewise post FX builds outward to the right. Little things...

If anyone us curious about how many FX you can run what actually happens is the more FX load you put on the DSP, you'll see amp models drop off the available list. I've not seen this covered anywhere and it was a question I couldn't get the answer for. For example running basic comp, overdrive, vintage vibrato, poly pitch shift and spring verb knocked about a third of amps of the available list. Still plenty yo choose from but interesting to see whoch amps use most dsp. The big culprit appearing to be the poly pitch unsurprisingly.

JiveTurkey

Quote from: Smash on July 22, 2020, 03:34:55 PM
Thanks. Is this on the amp? I'm using the Android app and there's only 2 pages per amp just volume gain and EQ. Cab selection is a separate icon.
Hit the gear icon on the Amp screen in the Android app. Those settings are in there.

admin

QuoteIf anyone us curious about how many FX you can run what actually happens is the more FX load you put on the DSP, you'll see amp models drop off the available list. I've not seen this covered anywhere and it was a question I couldn't get the answer for. For example running basic comp, overdrive, vintage vibrato, poly pitch shift and spring verb knocked about a third of amps of the available list. Still plenty yo choose from but interesting to see whoch amps use most dsp. The big culprit appearing to be the poly pitch unsurprisingly.

In general - the Latest 2.0 and 3.0 Firmware added new amps which require more DSP resources vs original models

See the Spreadsheet here and the "NEW" Amps & FX are noted in RED

MUSTANG GTX (GT FW3.0) ALL PARAMETERS 4/30/2020
- All available settings for each Amp/Cab/FX
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Gm-PJbjpgWETWC_3hN5Mf0VN5K3n08U/view?usp=sharing

I edit ALL PArameters right on the AMP  - which i find a joy vs Katana

Smash

Quote from: JiveTurkey on July 22, 2020, 05:34:03 PM
Hit the gear icon on the Amp screen in the Android app. Those settings are in there.

Ah ha! Brilliant. Thanks.

Categories FS mode is useful.