SY-1000: It's For You

Started by arkieboy, March 08, 2020, 05:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkieboy

This is a transfer of the 'Mays' preset from my Oberheim Matrix 6R to the SY.  Needs a bit more work in the upper register, but sounds pretty good nevertheless.  What makes this work is the slight pitch envelope on one of the oscillators.

All instruments played on the SY
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

GeePeeAxe

I like it very much!
The first time I really think about buying the SY-1000... cause I like the sounds of Lyle.

Really sorry that he is not amoung us anymore, but his music will always be.

BROCKSTAR

Sounds great! Thanks!

chrish

I'd say you nailed it, one of my favorite PMG tunes. 

You seem to be really good at this synth stuff.  8)

One sound I'd like to have is the lead solo tone on "As Wichita Falls". I think its Lyle playing an auto harp but never could figure that one out.

I've searched YouTube to see if there's a video of that concert but never could find one to see how that lead tone was being played.

arkieboy

Quote from: chrish on March 08, 2020, 12:30:38 PM
I'd say you nailed it, one of my favorite PMG tunes. 

You seem to be really good at this synth stuff.  8)

One sound I'd like to have is the lead solo tone on "As Wichita Falls". I think its Lyle playing an auto harp but never could figure that one out.

I've searched YouTube to see if there's a video of that concert but never could find one to see how that lead tone was being played.

Thanks  8)

It sounds better listening back to it than it did when I posted it, actually.  It took me longer to work out the guitar chords than to programme the patch - in the end I put a capo at the 4th fret across strings 4-6.  I couldn't find any tab on the net.

I've posted elsewhere that this is the guitar synthesiser I've been waiting a lifetime for - and that I bought a GR700/G707 new from a music shop.  Since then I've had synthesisers from Oberheim, Roland, Novation, EMu, Korg and Yamaha and all sorts of plugins so I've had a bit of practice and lots of time!! ;-)

As to the 'autoharp' I think the 'zing' sound at the beginning of 'Ozark' - yes AFWSFWF is one favourite albums too! - is definitely an autoharp played au-naturelle but the lower pitch of that lead sound on the title track, having listened to people strumming autoharps on youtube, makes me wonder if it wasn't sampled into their Synclavier, or maybe created by additive synthesis - the 'out of tune-ness' sounds almost physically impossible.

That said - challenge accepted.  If I pull it off, then 'its for you'  ;D

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

chrish

That would be cool if you could make that sound and agree it would be a challenge. the closest  I ever got was plucking the drone strings on my electric sitar.  one thing about the digital detuning of a guitar string is that it doesn't capture the physical string slackness effect, it only lowers the pitch.

Gearhead

Credox

I was more than astonished, when I heard the mp3. This is a really, really fine work and it sounds great. I don't need the original preset stuff, when I can play such beautiful sounds. Please, more stuff like this! :) Maybe a Little less Noise (if possible) :)

jwhitcomb3

Really wonderful work here! Thanks for sharing!

If I may be so bold (and I'll take this down if I've overstepped my bounds), you have inspired me to add in some other stuff.

I added in a clean normal guitar. The synth level is mapped to the GK volume knob, and of course you can control the guitar level with your guitar's regular guitar volume knob. The GK 3-way switch can also be used to switch between normal guitar, synth, and both. In addition,

Ctl1 toggles an octave drop on the synth.
Ctl2 toggle a subtle tremolo on the synth only
GK SW1 toggle the master delay (on guitar and synth) and toggles a slapback delay on the guitar only
GK SW2 toggles a hold on the synth, so you can noodle over the held synth tone with the guitar.

arkieboy

Quote from: jwhitcomb3 on April 02, 2020, 04:48:04 PM
If I may be so bold (and I'll take this down if I've overstepped my bounds), you have inspired me to add in some other stuff.

Nope, not at all.  Really good controller assignments there.  I've grabbed me a copy

Steve

larocqueman

James M LaRocque

Allomerus

This is a cool patch thanks. I moved the vibrato to the synths and it sounds more flute like to me. I also changed the unused instrument is a clean strat which is switched by ctl2.
Thanks for sharing!

chrish

Quote from: chrish on March 10, 2020, 10:05:44 AMThat would be cool if you could make that sound and agree it would be a challenge. the closest  I ever got was plucking the drone strings on my electric sitar.  one thing about the digital detuning of a guitar string is that it doesn't capture the physical string slackness effect, it only lowers the pitch.
I'm thinking the 1st Melody section from as Wichita Falls by Pat Metheny is done on his electric sitar perhaps detuned by a half step or whole step . The Drone strings on the sitar are occasionally plucked and strummed.

And in sections Lyle Mays is doubling the  Melody line with a almost whistle gourd like tone which I'm guessing is done on his Oberheim four voice.

DreamTheory

This brings memories of Lyle's playing into our hands. Thank you.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008