SY-1000 with normal pickup and cable

Started by alfstone, January 24, 2020, 01:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfstone

Of course it's obvoius that most discussions concerning the SY-1000 are abouth its synth (and hex PU) features, but I'm wondering, since I read that inside it there's almost everything from the GT-1000, considering the SY-1000 as an all-in-one solution (I mean both synth AND guitar modeler, multi-fx), would it be possible someway import some of the patches from the GT-1000 inside the SY-1000, as user patches?

Alfredo

gumtown

The idea will work, the SY-1000 will work fine as a regular guitar (normal pickup only) floor processor much like the GT-1000.
You will also get a limited amount of synth use too,
but I do not see any way of directly importing GT-1000 patches.
You would need to run the GT-1000 Tone Studio editor along side the SY-1000 editor and manually copy and transfer your settings across.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

If designing a new patch from ground up intended to use the 1/4" Normal input only
Go here and change the PATCH TYPE from NORMAL INPUT to GK INPUT

For 1/4" Normal Input Synth Factory Patches
Start at P48-1 thru P50-4

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-1000_soundlist_eng01_W.pdf

anytime the SY-1000 1/4" Gutar input is occupied  - it removes the Normal Guitar signal from the GK 13 pin input

and

Search on "NORMAL" in the Reference Manual
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-1000_reference_eng01_W.pdf
See Page 13
NORMAL PATCH - Patches for a conventional guitar (bass) that is connected to the GUITAR INPUT. These can be used even if you don't have a divided pickup. You can also use these patches with the conventional guitar (bass) signal (normal pickup) that is routed through the divided pickup. If you're using Normal patch, the GK icon goes dark.
* DYNAMIC SYNTH is the only INST TYPE that can be selected for normal patches.

DYNAMIC Synth String Pan / Level

DYNAMIC Synth User Alt Tuning and User Pitch Bend Range

DYNAMIC Synth - OSC TYPES

DYNAMIC Synth with Two User Assignable Arpeggiator Sequencers

DYNAMIC Synth Layer Note Range Assignment

Vaultnaemsae

Forgive me, but I find this quite confusing so just asking the brains trust here. I had an SY-300 but only for a short period and never really jived with it -- so maybe that's why I'm not familiar with this function.

Last night I wanted to test out the 1/4" input running the Dynamic Synth instrument. Intuitively, I started by unplugging my 13-pin cable from the device (using 2 cables -- 1 x GK/1 x 1/4") to connect to the SY-1000). Then I went to my go-to patch (U02-3) and started trying to figure out how to get the 1/4 signal to drive the Dynamic Synth. But I could not figure out how to get it to work!

Patches P48-1 thru P50-4 work perfectly and the GK icon disappears when they are selected but I can't build a patch like this from scratch over another originally GK-type patch. What am I missing? This must be user error. The diagrams in the manual didn't really clarify much in true BOSS/Roland style.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on March 11, 2020, 02:30:13 AM
Forgive me, but I find this quite confusing so just asking the brains trust here. I had an SY-300 but only for a short period and never really jived with it -- so maybe that's why I'm not familiar with this function.

Last night I wanted to test out the 1/4" input running the Dynamic Synth instrument. Intuitively, I started by unplugging my 13-pin cable from the device (using 2 cables -- 1 x GK/1 x 1/4") to connect to the SY-1000). Then I went to my go-to patch (U02-3) and started trying to figure out how to get the 1/4 signal to drive the Dynamic Synth. But I could not figure out how to get it to work!

Patches P48-1 thru P50-4 work perfectly and the GK icon disappears when they are selected but I can't build a patch like this from scratch over another originally GK-type patch. What am I missing? This must be user error. The diagrams in the manual didn't really clarify much in true BOSS/Roland style.
There's a setting in the master block.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

LarryHeil

please tell what this setting in the "master block ' is and what to change it to for the 1/4" input to work. I guess I wil have to get rid of the SY1000 since I am not smart enough to figure out this secret operating system. (I have read the 99 page manual, searched on this forum, and the Facebook group for SY1000 and still cannot find instructions that help me operate the SY1000)

Brak(E)man

Patch type
Se reference guide p. 66 left column
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

JiveTurkey

In usual Boss fashion; this functionality (and the obvious place where it should be found) is clunky as f***.  :-X >:(

Go to Master section in tone studio and click on "Change Patch Type" button. You can then select whichever normal pickup set you wish to use.

Vaultnaemsae

Right, I was confused by this terminology...
If I select 'Change patch type' in the Master block/menu (equally strangely positioned and labeled) there is a warning:
"Inst data will be changed...are you sure?"...sounds kinda ominous but it seems to turn off the GK icon... 8) Thanks lads, I shall tame this beast eventually -- with your help!

admin

Quote from: LarryHeil on March 11, 2020, 03:21:46 AM
please tell what this setting in the "master block ' is and what to change it to for the 1/4" input to work. I guess I wil have to get rid of the SY1000 since I am not smart enough to figure out this secret operating system. (I have read the 99 page manual, searched on this forum, and the Facebook group for SY1000 and still cannot find instructions that help me operate the SY1000)

All above answers are correct

Factory  1/4" Normal Input Only
Synth Factory Patches - Start at P48-1 thru P50-4

Choose which active input to use when creating patches

GK 13 pin input

or

1/4" Guitar Input

Go to MASTER block at End and Toggle "Change Patch Type"

If you are new to Roland/Boss processor MUST read the

SY-1000 FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=26924.0

and

Learn to Program Roland/Boss MultiFX Processors
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88.0

Maudibe

Ah, it is obviously all down to the vinegar face moments. But great vid of potential. Note to self: practice face.  ;D

Vaultnaemsae

Quote from: Maudibe on March 11, 2020, 03:41:49 PM
Ah, it is obviously all down to the vinegar face moments. But great vid of potential. Note to self: practice face.  ;D

What's an Alex Hutchings video without the faces?  :-X ;D

chrish

Quote from: Brak(E)man on March 11, 2020, 03:44:07 AM
Patch type
Se reference guide p. 66 left column
That's for posting that. I I thought I read somewhere on the forum that the choice of GK sensitivity settings (1-10 memory slots) cannot be assigned to individual patches but I see that they can.

stub

If a person has no intention of EVER adding a GK pickup to their guitar/bass, what are the reasons why they might choose an SY-1000 over a GT-1000? Aside from the Dynamic Synth on the SY-1000 side, and more frequent updates on the GT-1000,  are there some other considerations?

admin

Quote from: stub on May 23, 2021, 08:57:04 AM
If a person has no intention of EVER adding a GK pickup to their guitar/bass, what are the reasons why they might choose an SY-1000 over a GT-1000? Aside from the Dynamic Synth on the SY-1000 side, and more frequent updates on the GT-1000,  are there some other considerations?

Zero

There is access to the SY300 type synth via 1/4" input , but IMHO that's a frustrating experience-big reason the SY-1000 with GK hex PU input was created

And many SY-300 fans still prefer the SY-300 over SY-1000-because SY-300 had  the Blender function missing on SY-1000
Quoteeven basic editing makes you nervous, the Boss SY-300 has a very neat trick up its very blue sleeve, and that is the Blender button. Remember that a patch can consist of up to three layers, each with its own oscillator, tuning, envelope and filter settings. Blender provides a very easy way to replace any of the current patch oscillators and their settings with any other oscillator copied from any other patch. By mixing and matching layers copied from existing patches you can create very different-sounding new patches, which may then be stored in the 100-slot user section. And if even that degree of editing worries you, there's an online tone library that you can access where new artist sounds are being added all the time.
http://www.roland.co.uk/blog/get-the-most-from-your-boss-sy-300-guitar-pedal/