SY-300 info

Started by Willbo, January 01, 2020, 04:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willbo

Hi folks, a couple of questions.

1) how do you make an original patch from scratch or do you have to use one of the presets, modify and save as?

2) There's seems to be a lack of tutorials (youtube/blogs etc...) for the SY-300 or I havent been able to find them. If you could point me towards any I'd be grateful.

I'm fairly competent with tech and have managed to get some good results with the SY-300 but I guess there are more competent people out there and I'd like to improve my understanding of the unit.

Thanks

Kevin M

If you're looking for specific sounds or programming 'hints', check out Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook

chrish

Quote from: Willbo on January 01, 2020, 04:24:48 AM

1) how do you make an original patch from scratch or do you have to use one of the presets, modify and save as?

2) There's seems to be a lack of tutorials (youtube/blogs etc...) for the SY-300 or I havent been able to find them. If you could point me towards any I'd be grateful.

I'm fairly competent with tech and have managed to get some good results with the SY-300 but I guess there are more competent people out there and I'd like to improve my understanding of the unit.

Thanks
I just load the user presets with forum patches. Then find a user patch that's not so great and hit the blender button.

As the blender moves along, play a note. If I like the patch sound, I'll save it and then start tweaking the parameters.

szilard

Quote from: Willbo on January 01, 2020, 04:24:48 AM

I often find a patch I like, either on the SY-300 or another synth, and note the basics - how many osc, what wave forms, filter settings, A/D times, and so on and then initialize a patch and start from scratch. The SY-300 is pretty deep and if you don't start from scratch it may not behave as intended. Everyone has their own approach.

Willbo

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.

How do you initialise a patch from scratch?

JiveTurkey

The way that the 300 was pushed out into the wild with next to nothing as far as instructional content (while not surprising) is a real shame, imo. I am on my, I don't know; 4th(?) SY? I might have a problem  8) ;D I can only imagine what they are going to do with the 1000 given the far more advanced options in it that will probably sit and collect dust for everyone but the advanced user. Oh well. I'll probably give it a go nonetheless  ??? ;D

Definitely like others have said; grab presets from here and take note of what you like. There are some good building blocks on Tone Central as well. Don't be afraid to go through the factory presets (***shudder***). You can find some tones you like (with any luck) and take note of some interesting assignment choices you can crib for your own presets.

Right now; I am in the process of replacing my Kemper with the SY. Using a couple of internal stacked dirt boxes on the input oscillator with the amp switch engaged for my guitar tones and it keeps up great. I actually like the guitar tones through my powered Alesis from the SY better than my last round of Kemper gigging profiles.

Yikes lol :)

The 300 is a great box. Definitely deeper than maybe I would like but give it time.

szilard

Quote from: Willbo on January 01, 2020, 09:29:13 AM
How do you initialise a patch from scratch?
I program using BTS. I'm not on my DAW, but go into the Editor and select the patch you want to initialize and there should be three buttons in the upper right - Write, Insert, and Initialize. Select Initialize and follow the process.

Willbo

That's great thanks for the replies.

Some of the BTS SY300 interface is obvious but much isn't.

Are there any tutorial videos around or pdf's

Would be great if someone wrote a "dummies for...."

Brak(E)man

FWIW
One of the most overlooked features is the input section.
Much of the final result depends on the settings in that block.
I suggest using it set to patch.
I haven't seen a overview on how to program this unit (which btw is
great ,  apart from the lack of polyphony)
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch