GR-55 Alt-Tunings

Started by joe himself, December 23, 2019, 09:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

QuoteI can't turn off (or increase) the volume of the modeled tone.

The "SYNTH" Volume Slider on your Godin  ( close to the neck)  Controls the Hex PU volume which feeds the GR-55 COSM Modeled Tone and the PCM Synths and is the only Volume control that should be used when you desire GR-55 DSP Alt Tunings

QuoteSo my NORMAL PU volume seems to be working fine

IF you turn up the Normal Guitar Volume Slider ( the slider furthest away from the neck )  on your Godin , you WILL suffer GR-55 DSP Alt Tuning anomalies - you must turn Down the Normal Guitar Volume Slider ANYtime you desire DSP Alt Tunings   
DSP Alt Tunings can not be performed on the Normal Guitar signal path

gumtown

You make mention of using "Guitar Out", keep in mind that this is a separate output from the rest of the GR-55 signal chain,
"Guitar Out" can be controlled per patch, or over-ridden by a system setting, where you will get either or both of the normal pickup and the modelled tone.
"Guitar out" is also guitar only, there is no amp modelling or effects on this tone.

The Tone Switch settings in the normal GR-55 signal chain (to L/R outputs) have no effect on the "Guitar out" tones.

Are you using the GR-55FloorBoard graphical editor software to work on your GR-55, much easier to see the settings. 
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

Quote"Guitar out" is also guitar only, there is no amp modelling or effects on this tone.

Actually exclusive to GR-55 - the Guitar Out can be assigned to be Normal Guitar, or, COSM Modeled Guitar

Assign the GR-55 Guitar Out Jack to be COSM Modeled Guitar only

How to enable  the GR-55 "Guitar Output" jack:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4682.msg31583#msg31583

Yes - the GR-55 Guitar Out can be selected from two sources:

* Normal Pickup

* COSM Pickup

See page 54 in GR-55 Owners Manual

"The GUITAR OUT jack can output the normal pickup sound and the
sound of the modeling tone.
For example, you can make settings so that the normal pickup sound
and the modeling tone sound will be played through a guitar amp,
while the other synthesizer sounds will be played through the PA
system connected to the OUTPUT jacks. For details, refer to System
settings "GUITAR OUT Jack Settings (GUITAR OUT)" (p. 70).
For details on the parameters, refer to "GUITAR OUT" (p. 59).

MEMO
If the SYSTEM setting GUITAR OUT (p. 80) is set to anything other than
"PATCH," this setting is ignored."

GR-55 F.A.Q.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3137

joe himself

@admin  I saw that in the manual -that's why I set the patch/master and the system/master both the same as I charted above. But I've also set the system/master/guitar out to 'Patch" just as the manual recommends but it makes no difference. And I've also turned the appropriate volume nobs every which way as I charted above. I know you don't think I'm paying attention to your help but I am and I appreciate it. Last week I was a nube but I've spent so much time with the unit as well as the manual I that I feel comfortable now about how its laid out. (BTW what a mess - so much messier than keyboard synths are laid out.)

I'm guessing that the Alt-tuning can't be used at the Guitar Out jack. The deepwater(Open E) patch that I said works will not work through the Guitar out jack. I have 4 days to return my GR-55 but I don't want to unless it's necessary.

If any of you have gotten any Alt-tuning to work through the 'guitar out' please let me know and I will return my box as defective. But I don't think it's possible. Maybe not many players have used it that way and so the bug went unnoticed. I don't know but Alt-tunings don't work at my Guitar Out jack.

joe himself

I just got tired. pooped. no more.
I already got an RA and  boxed everything up to send it back.

Thanks everyone for all your time in trying to help me! This is a great forum and I look forward to when I can make contributions,

And I will definitely follow up with you when I get my replacement to tell you how great the Alt-tuning sounds.  ::)
Should take 4-5 days.

Thanks again!

admin

QuoteI'm guessing that the Alt-tuning can't be used at the Guitar Out jack.

Works for me  - but I assign the Guitar OUT for COSM Model Only

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GR-55_OM.pdf

joe himself

New (replacement) GR-55 came in today.

No problem with the Alt-tunings! (yay)

Thanks everyone I'm a happy man.