SY-300- Subout Level Control Confusion

Started by jongrant, June 20, 2019, 11:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jongrant

I am confused. When I set the Subout Sys Ctl (so that it places the Subout immediately after the dry guitar signal, not including any Osc or f/x), I can't seem to assign a controller (Ctl 3, in my case) to actually control the Subout level. Boss Tone Studio allows me to seemingly set a control assignment, but it doesn't actually work. The control assignment only works when Subout Sys Ctl is off (pushing the placement of Subout further back). I am using the Thru/Return loop with another pedal, and I want to use the Subout to send my dry guitar to yet another pedal, but I need an on/off control for it. I was REALLY hoping to be able to do this in the SY-300, so I wouldn't have to add yet another cable and pedal to my board.

Any suggestions from more learned SY users than me?

Thanks in advance!

gumtown

Are you using the Tone Studio editor?
I have heard of a couple of bugs within it,
does it do the same with the SY-300 on board controls (if you have not already done so).?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

jongrant

I hadn't thought of that, so I just tried it in the hardware. No luck. Apparently, they only allow you to control the Subout Level when it's in "patch" mode, but then it's not dry guitar (same as thru signal). How inconvenient of them not to think of everything.  :P

I have a little loop box, which can be used as a signal on/off switch, but it makes a horrendous click, which sends a little spike of audio signal when used. This triggers the f/x pedal I put after the Subout, which is bad. I could use a volume pedal, of course, but that takes up a lot of real estate on a board for what "should" be a simple switch.

I love the SY-300, but it is slightly enigmatic at times.

Back to the drawing board...

jongrant

There seems to be no way of controlling the Thru (out), either. Only the Return Level.

I am sure I can find an easy way of doing this. Someday.

admin

Quote from: jongrant on June 21, 2019, 08:24:55 AM
There seems to be no way of controlling the Thru (out), either. Only the Return Level.

I am sure I can find an easy way of doing this. Someday.

Review the SY-300 manual and block diagram
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15226.0

the INPUT and THRU jacks are simply two 1/4" jacks wired in parallel  - no active buffer between them - either jack works as input to SY-300  , think of the SY-300  THRU jack as a "Y"  cord to feed other destinations in parallel with SY-300 

jongrant

Yes, that should have been clear to me before embarking upon this quest for control. Thanks for the diagram. A cheap Chinese volume pedal has been placed in the chain for now, so I can control the "send" to my auxiliary pedal.

I have stumbled upon another weird problem involving the Subout, for which I've started a different thread.

Thanks, everyone, for your help and patience!

Cheers!