Boss 200 Series

Started by admin, June 13, 2019, 05:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=Cvt9ACqvtMQ

https://www.boss.info/us/categories/stompboxes/200_series/

With 3.5mm TRS MIDI I/O

MIDI I/O is also available on mini TRS jacks, letting you operate various functions from external MIDI controllers and chain multiple 200 series pedals to select memories on all of them at once.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/bmidi-5-35/

Class-leading sound quality with 32-bit AD/DA, 32-bit floating point processing, and 96 kHz sampling rate
Twelve versatile modes provide a wide range of delay types
Fast, easy operation with hands-on controls
Real-time panel setting and four memories for storing favorite sounds
Phrase looper with up to 60 seconds of recording time
Panel Lock function disables controls to prevent unwanted changes
Customizable multi-function footswitches for bypass, tap tempo, memory selection, looper control, and more
Support for expanded control via external footswitches, an expression pedal, or MIDI
Full MIDI I/O provided with mini TRS jacks (BMIDI-5-35 adaptor cable available separately)
Micro USB jack for firmware updates
Analog dry through and buffered bypass
Runs on PSA-series AC adaptor or three AA-size batteries
Twelve Modes, Unlimited Sounds
With 12 different modes to choose from, the DD-200 provides nearly any flavor of delay in an amazingly compact size. At your command are super-clean digital delays, gritty analog echoes, and spot-on retro sounds from the Roland RE-201 Space Echo and Binson Echorec 2. There's also a variety of options for creating reverse effects, lo-fi tones, and pulsing rhythmic sounds with layered delays. And with the Tera Echo, Shimmer, and Pad Echo modes, immersive ambient colors are just a knob twist away.

Dial in Sounds Fast
The DD-200 features a no-nonsense interface, making it easy to craft inspiring sounds in the heat of the moment. Essential delay parameters are provided on dedicated controls for direct, hands-on access. And in each mode, the function of the PARAM knob changes to parameters tailored for the selected type, delivering extended control with no need to menu dive.

Save and Recall Your Favorite Setups
The DD-200 offers four onboard memories for saving your favorite setups and recalling them while performing. There's also a Manual setting that reflects the current panel status, essentially giving you a fifth setup to choose from. You can scroll through memories with a DD-200 footswitch, and it's possible to limit the scrolling range or assign memories directly for even faster access. And by enabling the carryover function, the active delay repeats will keep sounding as you change memories for smooth, free-flowing transitions.

Deep Real-Time Control
By default, the DD-200's multi-function footswitches provide access to basic functions like bypass, memory scrolling, tap tempo, and looper control. But you can easily reassign them to hold, warp, and many other functions. External control is also possible via footswitches or an expression pedal, and MIDI I/O is even provided on space-saving mini TRS jacks. Via MIDI, you're able to chain multiple 200 series pedals and select memories on all of them at once, and also control a wide range of functions from MIDI devices like the ES-8 and ES-5 effects switchers.

Ready-to-Go Looper
Any time you're ready, pressing the DD-200's two footswitches together puts you into looper mode. Up to 60 seconds of mono recording time is available, and operation is simple and direct with the onboard switches. And since the looper engine functions independently, you're able to develop expressive loops with any of the DD-200's rich delay sounds.

DD-200 Delay Modes
• Standard—Clear digital delay. PARAM adjusts the delay attack.
• Analog—Emulates classic analog "BBD" delays like the BOSS DM series. PARAM controls character and distortion amount.
• Tape—Emulates the warm tape-based sound of the legendary Roland RE-201 Space Echo. PARAM selects different combinations of three playback heads, and also adjusts the amount of distortion in the delay sound.
• Drum—Models the drum-based Binson Echorec 2. PARAM selects different combinations of four playback heads, and also adjusts the amount of distortion in the delay sound.
• Shimmer—Pitch-shifted delay for lush, heavenly textures. PARAM adjusts the delay brightness.
• Tera Echo—Spacious, animated ambience effect derived from the BOSS TE-2 pedal. PARAM adjusts the sound character.
• Pad Echo—Newly developed delay sound for creating drifting ambient textures. PARAM adjusts the delay attack.
• Pattern—Rhythmic sounds with 16 delay lines layered together. PARAM selects different pattern variations.
• Lo-Fi—Delay sound with fat, distorted character. PARAM adjusts the distortion effect.
• Dual—Two different delay lines connected in series. PARAM adjusts the time of the second delay.
• Reverse—Backwards delay for cool psychedelic effects and other unique tones. PARAM adjusts the delay attack.
• Ducking—Delay with a built-in ducking effect. PARAM adjusts the input sensitivity.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/incoming-new-gear-from-boss.2053809/page-12#post-28689640

https://www.boss.info/us/products/eq-200/

Class-leading sound quality with 32-bit AD/DA, 32-bit floating point processing, and 96 kHz sampling rate
Dual 10-band EQs that can be used in stereo, parallel, or series
Insert function for processing external effects with pre and/or post tone shaping
Three different range settings: 30 Hz to 12.8 kHz, 32.1 Hz to 16 kHz, and 28 Hz to 14 kHz
15 dB boost/cut on each band, plus overall level control for each channel
Stereo link function for operating both EQ channels together
Intuitive interface with hands-on sliders and graphic EQ display
Real-time panel setting and four memories for storing favorite sounds
Panel Lock function disables controls to prevent unwanted changes
Two onboard footswitches with customizable assignments
Support for expanded control via external footswitches, an expression pedal, or MIDI
Full MIDI I/O provided with mini TRS jacks (BMIDI-5-35 adaptor cable available separately)
Micro USB jack for firmware updates
Runs on PSA-series AC adaptor or three AA-size batteries
Dual 10-Band EQs with Adjustable Range
With its refined design, 32-bit/96 kHz engine, and ultra-low noise specs, the EQ-200 delivers precision tonal control with superior audio quality. Up to 15 dB of cut or boost is available on each band, and each channel has a level slider for balancing with the bypass sound or kicking in a solo boost when needed. The center frequency configuration of the bands can also be set to one of three types, letting you optimize the EQ-200's equalization for all types of instruments, from electric and acoustic guitars to bass, keyboards, and beyond.

Flexible Signal Flow and Pre/Post FX Insert
The EQ-200's variable signal flow structure offers an uncommon level of versatility in sculpting sounds. The A and B channels can be linked together or used independently, and you can also patch in an external pedal (or a chain of pedals) for pre-EQ and/or post-EQ processing. When used with overdrive and distortion pedals, this provides an exceptional level of power in honing your tone for both rhythm and lead playing. Series mode runs the two EQs one after the other, allowing you to shape your basic tone with one and set up the second for solos or additional sound shaping.

Simple Interface and Visual EQ Display
Using the EQ-200 is fast, intuitive, and frustration-free. Hands-on sliders provide direct access to 10 EQ bands and master channel level, while the informative display offers a visual overview of the current EQ curve. The two channels are toggled with a dedicated panel button, and navigating deeper parameters is quick and efficient. And with the useful Panel Lock function, you can disable the controls to prevent accidental changes while operating other pedals on your board.

Save and Recall Your Favorite Setups
The EQ-200 offers four onboard memories, allowing you to save favorite setups for install recall. There's also a Manual setting that reflects the current panel settings, essentially giving you a fifth setup to choose from. You can scroll through memories with an EQ-200 footswitch, and it's even possible to limit the scrolling range or assign memories directly for faster access while performing.

Deep Real-Time Control
By default, the EQ-200's footswitches control EQ bypass and memory scrolling, but you can reassign them to turn channels on/off, select specific memories, and more. Control is also possible via external footswitches, and these are freely assignable as well. Alternately, you can connect an expression pedal to control A or B channel levels, or even the overall output (a handy stand-in for a volume pedal). MIDI I/O is also available on mini TRS jacks, letting you operate various functions from external MIDI controllers and chain multiple 200 series pedals to select memories on all of them at once.

carlb

How do these compare to the A/D, algorithms, and effects in the GT-1000?

At roughly $250 each (?), get all four and you're taking up more floor space, and getting fewer effect types than the GT-1000. But if you want ala carte with other manufacturer's boxes this works.

Is there a digital signal path available among them?

Seems there was space to put 5-pin MIDI on the side, versus the less standard TRS mini connectors. Although the right angle TRS connections allow more dense pedal board placement.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

admin

most recent Boss pedals past year employ AKM 32 bit A/D>DSP>D/A - the entire 500 series and now 200 series

Its easier to pass FCC / CE emissions compliance with the smaller 3.5mm TRS openings in your earth chassis box vs the huge 5 pin DIN and a pair of 3.5mm TRS jacks occupy far less PCB real estate   

Cups

Pretty impressed. Missing a Reverb and amp modeller.

HAMERMAN409

Strikes me as Boss's answer to Strymon pedals.

I agree - the absence of a Reverb pedal seems odd, hopefully they add one at some point.

mooncaine

At first, mooncaine was unimpressed, but then he started thinking about an EQ pedal that can restore favorite settings with a button press. Then thinking about using MIDI to twake those EQ bands in real time. Yep, I think twake should be the word.

admin

Quote from: mooncaine on June 13, 2019, 09:00:05 PM
At first, mooncaine was unimpressed, but then he started thinking about an EQ pedal that can restore favorite settings with a button press. Then thinking about using MIDI to twake those EQ bands in real time. Yep, I think twake should be the word.

View MIDI Controlled effects here

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av54776610?from=search&seid=14803913365038881607

carlb

Quote from: HAMERMAN409 on June 13, 2019, 08:36:13 PM
I agree - the absence of a Reverb pedal seems odd, hopefully they add one at some point.

I'll guess Boss is working on one that will compete well with the top competition, rather than release one now that doesn't. Boss reverbs have been under inspiring in their multi-effects units so they can't just rehash those.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

ElliotG

Looks like they are filling in the price points they cover.
Compact pedals up to around $150
200 series $250
500 series $350

The RV500 reverb seems to be well regarded, I suspect it is just a matter of time until they release a 200 series version.

Smash

They must be bored at Roland towers...

admin

IMHO - its all about following the trend of all MFG'rs making smaller versions of their effects  - to remain relevant on today's shrinking  Pedal boards  - Boss needs to deliver Strymon  / Meris results and similar physical size , the larger 500 series eat up  lot a limited real estate, these 200 series address that

Smash

So do these produce Strymon/Meris rivaling effects or are they just repacked older algorhythms with added midi? Genuine question as was not impressed by GT1000 verbs

admin

Quote from: Smash on June 15, 2019, 11:06:20 PM
So do these produce Strymon/Meris rivaling effects or are they just repacked older algorhythms with added midi? Genuine question as was not impressed by GT1000 verbs

Youtube to compare - both have former Line6 / Damage Control  DSP engineers and are considered among the top units today

slimefuzz

mooncaine

mooncaine

Quote from: admin on June 13, 2019, 09:16:33 PM
View MIDI Controlled effects here

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av54776610?from=search&seid=14803913365038881607
Lots of fun things to look at here. Thanks! Was up late last night reading.

DreamTheory

We complain that GR55 does not have enough knobs. Well here ya go. Plenty of knobs. But... drat- you can't twist a knob while playing a guitar anyway! So I ask, ergonomically, is a knob better than a jog wheel? Yeah, I admit, much better... you just have to decide if it's worth $250 per effect.  No doubt these beauties will do all you wish. Well done, Boss. I just wish there was an affordable control stystem for GR 55 with lots of assignable pedals and a desktop module with assignable knobs. And that 200 series EQ screen is really nifty.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Cups

mchad

mchad

Version 1.1 Update: User Memory Expansion

The free Version 1.1 software update brings increased flexibility to the BOSS 200 series, greatly expanding the onboard memory capacity for storing and recalling sounds. There are now 128 user setups available. Setups can also be recalled directly via MIDI program change.

The Version 1.1 update is available in the Downloads section for each 200 series pedal.

https://www.boss.info/au/categories/stompboxes/200_series/

ricmus

Hi all,
I just got the OD-200 and the new update V1.1. The problem is that I don't know how to recall the saved presets in memories above 5. I press the memory button but it cycles just from "man", 1,2,3,4 e return to "man" again.
If someone could help, it would be very appreciated.
Best wishes.

admin

Try reinstall latest Firmware again

Here is the typical behavior 

ricmus

Hi again. I have reinstalled the update, but when I press the memory button I cycle from "man" to 1,2,3,4 e return to "man" again. Is someone else having this issue? Any suggestions?

mooncaine

Quote from: mchad on January 16, 2020, 01:16:45 AM\There are now 128 user setups available. Setups can also be recalled directly via MIDI program change.https://www.boss.info/au/categories/stompboxes/200_series/
Wow, that's great to see! Suddenly the 200 series looks much, much better to me, a real option. Swell!

Kevin M

Size and price-wise the DD-200 looks like a great little addition for the SY-1000 send/return.