Roland GR-1 tiny hum...

Started by Joss, June 09, 2019, 11:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joss

Finaly, I've change the GK-2 cable for a new one (a genuine Roland) and end up with a much more stable system (no erratics notes when I pick up my guitar) but a very tiny hum remains (I must approach my ear very close to my speaker monitor in order to hear it though and the volume button on the GR-1 is at full).

So I wonder if I can live with that, in the sense that is it acceptable in the context of a home studio (will the average people hear that hum in the whole mix?). If I decide to get rid completely of that hum, what would I do? What would be the best solution? A hum eliminator? Some device that I don't know about?

Thank you for your help!

admin

Quote from: Joss on June 09, 2019, 11:22:41 AM
Finaly, I've change the GK-2 cable for a new one (a genuine Roland) and end up with a much more stable system (no erratics notes when I pick up my guitar) but a very tiny hum remains (I must approach my ear very close to my speaker monitor in order to hear it though and the volume button on the GR-1 is at full).

So I wonder if I can live with that, in the sense that is it acceptable in the context of a home studio (will the average people hear that hum in the whole mix?). If I decide to get rid completely of that hum, what would I do? What would be the best solution? A hum eliminator? Some device that I don't know about?

Thank you for your help!

Follow all steps on all pagea here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2078.0

Joss

Well, after much hesitations (procrastination maybe?), I finally bought the Ebtech He-2 XLR Hum Eliminator and got rid of the hum coming out of my GR-1. But I must keep the input level on my audio interface not too high (2 o'clock is fine) and this, at full volume on the synth. If I push the input level higher, say at 4 or 5 o'clock, the hum tends to come back although not as quick and loud as it was without the Ebtech. All in all, this is OK for me, considering that my GR-1 is an old machine.

Soon enough I guess, I will have to change the EPROM and maybe this will may eliminate completely the hum, but I'm really not sure about this. My synth is 27 years old and according to http://llamamusic.com page on the Roland GR-1, some synth can still retain data after 30+ years!  We will see...