BillBax - GK String Killer pedal

Started by billbax, May 05, 2019, 07:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbax

Hi All,

Put together a GKP-2 'string-killer' last year for a really cool guy in the US, and been in two minds whether to take it further.

I'm thinking of adding a D-sub (probably jacks) with separate strings out, a buffered GR55 pin-7 normal guitar input, and pin-8 foot-volume socket maybe. Any thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

www.separate-strings.co.uk

String-Killer

admin

I like -  very practical for live use too

billbax

QuoteI like -  very practical for live use too

Thanks Admin,

Apart from knocking out strings, the GKP-2 cable in hardware is a bonus. The unit still needs more features.

Bill

admin

Remote GK vol jack

Remote GK S1/S2 switch jack

Normal 1/4 guitar input with internal dip switch to select which GK 13 pin 1 thru 6 or 7 to feed ( for GR55 folks who wish to use it for normal guitars

Trs insert jacks for each string

adding a D25 connector so folks can use  DB25 to eight TRS cable for single string IO

vanceg

Very cool!  I've got a software version written as an algorithm for the Eventide H9K.  It kills any given string based on MIDI note input, so it can be sequenced using and external sequencer if desired.

billbax

Hi All,

Here's the bigger brother of the original String Killer pedal. Huge thanks to my customer for his cooperation over many many emails - he's a super cool guy AND an excellent producer/singer btw.

STRING KILLER 3 PEDAL

GKP-4 distribution. Can mute separate strings with three v-guitar units, and offers THRU with a 4th 13-pin device. LED GK VOLUME & PATCH SELECTION defeat switches are also featured. Lens-barrel effect included:)

String Killer rear with five 13-pin sockets.

No fancy photoshop here just a raw image.

Just finished on the workbench.

Humble beginnings. Step-drill massacre!

Thanks for viewing,

Bill

www.separate-strings.co.uk

gumtown

Very impressive and well done !!!
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

GuitarBuilder

Well done, Bill!

This concept actually opens up new possibilities in single-string processing!  Vance suggested to me a technique he was using, namely strumming a chord and holding (freezing) it, then cutting out different strings for arpeggiating effects.  Super interesting!

Before seeing this post, I was already planning on introducing a SynQuaNon Eurorack module that allows for CV control of the string on/off switches, which makes possible an endless combination of arpeggios without having to do it manually or by foot.  The CV sequences could be looping or triggered by strings.  Of course one could also have manual or static routing of strings to multiple outputs.  Very exciting!
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

billbax

Thanks GuitarBuilder and Gumtown for your appreciation 8)

QuoteVance suggested to me a technique he was using, namely strumming a chord and holding (freezing) it, then cutting out different strings for arpeggiating effects.  Super interesting!

Yeah, Vance is all for creative separate string innovation and he energetically wants to take it to new levels. I think we need more of this kind of separate string experimentation at the forum with audio and movie demos.
Before seeing this post, I was already planning on introducing a SynQuaNon Eurorack module that allows for CV control of the string on/off switches, which makes possible an endless combination of arpeggios without having to do it manually or by foot.

Your work and follow through is very impressive, and your SynQuaNon Eurorack module would create a lot of interest here. I'm still getting my head around separate string arpeggio idea, and wondering how that would sound in binaural?

Bill

String Killer 3 rear.