EHX - Attack Decay Tape Reverse Simulator

Started by admin, March 05, 2019, 03:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

The circa-1980 Electro-Harmonix Attack Decay is a sought after prize among vintage pedal aficionados. Originally called a Tape Reverse Simulator, it's known for producing volume and reverse swells, backward tape sounds, artificially short staccato notes and bowed instrument effects. The new Attack Decay reinterprets the classic and keeps its cool factor, but adds some modern features for convenience and enhanced functionality.

https://www.ehx.com/products/attack-decay

vanceg

Man, EH just knocks it out of the park over and over again. 

Smash

Quote from: Smash on December 16, 2018, 10:42:18 PM
It's about time we had an intelligent slow gear that varies attack time based on closeness of notes rather than ye old retrigger as per above example...

I was in ball park!

Poly slow gear....the quarter inch VG99 built with pedals steps closer. Impressed.
Love watching Bills fingers - looks so calm and effortless.

CodeSmart

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

vanceg

I still love the true polyphonic/multichannel Slow Gear that's in the VG-99.... But I'd love to figure out how to write/create a multichannel Slow Gear kind of effect that has anything close to as full of a feature set as this pedal.  (I'd love to just use this pedal, but I need 6 separate channels).  Yeah, this is a really nice pedal.

plexified

Good Lord that was sweet! Bill is truly a master. I love how he incorporates other EHX pedals in the demos. I will definitely own one.

The quotes in the YT on that one are priceless:

-Bill can sell EHX pedals to Mike Mathews

- I heard Bill got "The Letter", you know the one from GOD. He said to " Save some technique and skills for the rest of the worlds guitar players".   ;-)  WOW , I must have one!

-

vanceg

Seriously - Bill has to be, hands down, THE BEST guitar product demonstrator I've ever seen.  Is there NOTHING that this guy can't emulate? 

dedjazzgadgetz

I tried me one for a coupla minutes in a crowded music shop... VERY coool & filled with tweak-ability (from a YT review I checked-out later on). Once sensitivity adjusted, my "X-treme" Guitar Sloppiness could barely make it "mistrigger". But...

(and it's a small but)

...I sure wish they'd make a nano version (it's kinda big) with just the basic "volume swell/reverse" effect ; I'd go for that in a heartbeat ! ! !
No excuses, no limits

vanceg

I wish I could program a 6 channel version of it.  Seriously it's an amazing pedal.  so much potential here.

jim-analog

Greetings,

Vance, you got that right, it would be a dream come true! This pedal is amazing and having a hex version would beyond greatness. I'm actually half tempted to buy 5 more. Wonder if Mike M could be convinced to do limited edition hex versions of some of his stuff?!

Regards, Jim

Quote from: vanceg on May 01, 2019, 10:10:21 AM
I wish I could program a 6 channel version of it.  Seriously it's an amazing pedal.  so much potential here.

aliensporebomb

Hex EHX effects?  It HAS been done to some degree....

Remember when Tangerine Dream used five EHX Big Muff Pi's (one for each voice) from a prophet 5 to emulate create a sax like sound in the lower registers and a lead guitar sound on their Tangram record?   

Start at 6:15 or so - the "lead guitar" (Prophet 5 thru 5 big muffs!) starts at 6:55:

Even though Edgar Froese also played lead guitar on that record too?  A Roland GR-500! (mostly on side 1 of the record) - that's for another thread.

Froese would also later took three EHX Big Muff Pi's out from a PPG Wave 2 as well and got some really unusual sounds out of it also using an old white MXR compressor on the Hyperborea record.   You can see the big muff setup in the lower left hand corner of the pic from this video:

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

vanceg

I really suspect that it would be faster and easier to just build this ourselves by buying 6 units and repackaging them into a rack mount package.... But heck yes I would LOVE a 13pin input/output version of this pedal.

Quote from: jim-analog on February 15, 2020, 02:09:51 PM

Greetings,

Vance, you got that right, it would be a dream come true! This pedal is amazing and having a hex version would beyond greatness. I'm actually half tempted to buy 5 more. Wonder if Mike M could be convinced to do limited edition hex versions of some of his stuff?!

Regards, Jim

jim-analog

Greetings,

Well Vanceg, I'll volunteer to do the electronics aspect if someone else will work on the mechanical integration. Seriously! The other factor that kind of complicates it would be to get all 6 voices set to the same patch. I doubt there is an easy way to do that (and to also support all the "hidden modes").  BUT, if one of you guys are deep into programming any of those tiny processor chips (aurdino, etc.) that could be a 'relatively easier' method to consider.

Regards, Jim

Quote from: vanceg on February 19, 2020, 02:58:31 PM
I really suspect that it would be faster and easier to just build this ourselves by buying 6 units and repackaging them into a rack mount package.... But heck yes I would LOVE a 13pin input/output version of this pedal.

mooncaine

jim-analog

Greetings,

Pretty cool mooncaine! Can we fit 6 of the PC boards in there?

Regards, Jim

Quote from: mooncaine on August 07, 2020, 11:27:23 PM
Jim, do you mean like this?

alexmcginness

Can these effects be re created with a VG-99?
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

vanceg

Quote from: alexmcginness on August 08, 2020, 02:17:38 PM
Can these effects be re created with a VG-99?
To some degree the Slow Gear feature of the VG-99 does recreate these effects, yes.  Look at the polyphonic effects, SloGear.