Ukulele w/ Thin body...how to install 13-pin jack?

Started by dayn, June 30, 2010, 05:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dayn

Allright, I want a 13-pin Uke!

Problem is the body is 3 cm thick...and the Graphtech GHost 13-pin output jack plate is 3cm wide, with the ROland GK-3 internal kit jackplate being only slightly smaller.

Seems to me to not be enough wood left to get a solid jack on the body.

Other than a GK-3 external, any other ideas?

How about an RMC-esque 8-pin jack and then the internal kit in an outboard box?

Anyone can help?

Thanks!

MCK

Do you mind a little bump on the back? You could mount in as normal flush with the front of the uke and then say about 4 mm would show on the back and you could cover over that with a wooden cowling of sorts. Just a thought. Good luck!

MCK

Alternative idea. You could route the 13 pin connection to a DA-15 ... and then cut the end of a 13pin cable and put a DA-15 there as well. Seems like these are very slim. Check it out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-subminiature

Jim Williams

try mounting it at an angle on the top kinda like a strat jack or on the back like the brian moore guitars. Both options would take some carful craftsmanship but it would be cool.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

dayn

QuoteAlternative idea. You could route the 13 pin connection to a DA-15 ... and then cut the end of a 13pin cable and put a DA-15 there as well. Seems like these are very slim. Check it out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-subminiature

This is the kinda thing I am looking for. Question is, how do I , or can I connect the da-15 or other type jack to the pcb that is currently attached to the 13-pin jack?

Here is the uke:

http://ukulele.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p329_RISA-LP-Tenor-cherry-sunburst.html&XTCsid=kf3ml4931bkrqnjod2osua9ck3

admin

QuoteQuestion is, how do I , or can I connect the da-15 or other type jack to the pcb that is currently attached to the 13-pin jack
?

Most use  Solder.

I would seek a skilled luthier familiar with RMC pickup installations

http://www.rmcpickup.com/authorized_installers.htm

Many can do custom installations like this.

QuoteHow about an RMC-esque 8-pin jack and then the internal kit in an outboard box?

i think this is the best approach  - but will require electronics skills -

Might consider using the RMC Polydrive II - and share with several instruments.
http://www.rmcpickup.com/polydriveii.html

Vic1iful

dayn

Thanks for the input everyone. I have done the RMC PD2 before on a guitar and was happy with it. That may be the only non-custom approach here.

Any other ideas (or PICS!)

dayn

What I am thinking is using a DIN-8 jack and cord like in the RMC polydrive 2. The uke only has 4 saddles so 8 pins is plenty for signal plus ground in the graphtech or roland systems (they are cheaper than going with the RMC). I could then make a box with a DIN-8 with wires going to the Graphtech or Roland preamp.

Basically making REALLY long (6.5') pickup leads before the little preamp board.

Is this possible? I imagine I can source the jacks and cord from RMC.

admin

There are other sources for parts - but for a project like this you will need prior electronics/soldering skills. Best to take it to a pro IMHO. or start on a smaller project to get your skill set up to par for the task.

http://makezine.com/

And see our link thread for alternate parts sources  
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18.0

dayn

QuoteThere are other sources for parts - but for a project like this you will need prior electronics/soldering skills. Best to take it to a pro IMHO. or start on a smaller project to get your skill set up to par for the task.

My skills are up to par; why assume they aren't because I have a thin-bodied uke? I am currently doing a Graphtech install in an old Roland guitar and a GK-3 internal install on a Parker Fly. I can handle the install on my uke, I just need some help with creative thinking on such a thin bodied instrument as the 13-pin jack assemblies that these companies produce are too big.

Thanks for the alternate parts link. I will check that out to see if there is anything that inspires a solution.

embers

Not to throw a spanner in the works, but have you considered scale length? I have wanted to add a GK internal to my lap steel, but have been put off by the minimum scale length that can be set on the VG-99. Is it worthwhile checking out your Uke with an external GK pickup before getting too far down the path of modifications. I have no idea what happens when you fit one to an instrument with a shorter scale length than the VG-99 allows for.

dayn

I have considered scale length. As a ukeis like the bottom 4 strings of a guitar tuned up to A or B (high string), it actually falls within the scale length range as if it were a Roland Ready Strat with a capo on the 5th or 7th fret.

Not sure what happens anyway other than maybe the models wouldn't be "accurate", but I think I am fine as mentioned above and I don't think the models are perfectly accurate anyway.

I might start with an external GK-3 taped on to see how it works before I actually go with any internal kits.

MCK

Quote from: dayn on July 03, 2010, 06:56:33 AM
I might start with an external GK-3 taped on to see how it works before I actually go with any internal kits.

Good idea. Also watch out for the string spacing. Not all GK pickups are the same in this area.

embers

I have always thought that if I was to use my lap steel, that I would have to tune it to the standard guitar base tuning. Is this true or can the VG-99 cope with the base instrument tuned to something else. Will this impact your uke tuning as well?

dayn

Put a capo on your guitar or drop the low E to D. Does the VG-99 stop working? I think there is a lot of mis-understanding and mis-information about scale length and saddle measyrements and the reason behund them in relation to the VG-99. I wish Roland would explain why in the manual.

fokof

I've put the GK plug angled on my bass and it uses only 2 cm;

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=6342.0

(look at the third photo)

MCK

That is a beautiful installation. I can see how it would also secure the regular GK plug which is large & well protruding. Great job!

gumbo

Here in Oz, I bought the five-pin chassis mount midi socket (with two-hole mounting plate) from the local equivalent of Radio Shack, removed the the centre (carefully!) and replaced it with the 13-pin centre section of an in-line socket (DigiKey type)....presto!

...soldering obviously needed, but.....
;D
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

dayn

Do you have any more pics of the bass jack? Maybe one showing the other side?

dayn

The best solution (other than just living with a very tight internal install with only a few mm on the top and back of the instrument in the jack area) I can think of is:

Take a GK-3 and cut the plug connector off. Solder each of the pickup wires and ground to a DIN-8s jack like RMC uses for the Polydrive II. Use an 8 pin cable to carry signal to an external box. The 8-pin input jack will have the GK-3 connector soldered to it and it will then clip into the Roland preamp board. The preamp board will be connected to the 13-pin output jack thus completing the little external box. Basically an RMC polydrive II solution but with Roland guts.

If I wanted to take it a step further, since I would have no controls on the instrument (synth volume or s1/s2), I could build this box out of an old effects unit box that has a volume pedal. I could install the GK volume pot into the footpedal and use 2 momentary footswitches for s1/s2. I then place that next to my FC-300 and I have all the control I need (though that might be overkill as I am probably fine with the FC-300 alone).

Thoughts? I think this is a handy solution.

dayn

With my above solution, I could probably even use a 5-pin midi cable for either the GK pickup or the Graphtech system. Midi cables and jacks are cheaper than the RMC 8-pin stuff.

Elantric

dayn

Great suggestions. I guess I need to figure out how to detatch the pcb from the current Roland 13-pin jack. What I have is a problem not so much with the jackplate, but the little preamp board attached to it that requires a big route. If I can separate that, then any of these cool output jack solutions will work.

Any of you ever de-soldered the preamp board that is attached to the Roland GK-3 internal kit 13-pin output jack?