Variax, Rackvax or GK Pickup

Started by jimmyj, January 18, 2019, 07:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyj

I am trying to decide if I should put a Roland GT-3 internal kit in my JTV 59 Variax or buy another cheap JTV to extract the internal parts to create a Rackvax. I have a Rackvax case and the GK 13 pin to Variax adapter purchased from the Rackvax site so all I need is the Variax parts. I think Elantric has a Rackvax and a Variax so I'm hoping he or anyone else with some knowledge of these devices would give me their opinions. My current JTV 59 is in mint condition so I don't really want use the parts from it. Would the Rackvax work and sound the same as the JTV ? My current Rackvax has either a Variax 500 or 700 board in it that was built by someone other than the Rackvax company. It doesn't have the midi option and for some reason the volume is really low and the models don't compare to the JTV.

admin

An official RackVax box also included the RackVax CPU board which was basically an  interpreter between 5 pin MIDI and GK-3 Controls  and the Line 6 Variax DSP board andccontrols
It expanded specific operation  of sending midi commands when you manipulated the GK-3 S2/S2 and RackVax variax  knobs on front panel  and selector switch 
all detailed in the original RackVax  operations manual
I actually prefer using the RackVax with a GK-3 Mag hex pickup for the Variax electric guitar tones as this allows palm muting and improved playing techniques over a standard variax

unfortunately that RackVax CPU board was never adapted for the newer Tyler variax DSP boards which arrived about three months after Corey completed coding the RackVax  project was completed (which took about three years) bottom line with the parts you have you're still missing the CPU board which limits what you can do with it

and frankly I've never built one based on only your available parts  (so you're on your own) but numerous others have built them & posted on other forums (use Google search )
see what they came up with I think a few people here on our Forum built a few about eight /nine years ago with various limited results

Corey the original RackVax developer moved on to other projects has no interest in pursuing updated RackVax - mostly due to lack of available time for customer support  however today I see I can buy Tyler variax boards from various sources - still rather expensive 

at the end of the day in 2019  I think a Boss  GP 10 _ or used VG-99) would serve you better

jimmyj

Maybe I'm confused about something but according to the Rackvax site (store / diy) if you purchase the 13 pin to Variax adapter and choose the JTV option which is what I purchased then all you need is a JTV internal parts from the guitar to make it work. It will be driven by one of my GK equipped guitars from a GKP4 splitter . I really don't care about the midi option and I guess shouldn't have mentioned it. It would be the same Rackvax I have now except with a JTV board in it instead of the current board that's in it now. I already own a VG99 but the acoustic models don't compare to the JTV acoustics. I was only hoping someone would know if the Rackvax with the JTV board driven by GK guitar would work and sound exactly the same as the JTV guitar itself. if not then my best option is to put an internal GK kit in my Variax guitar. It states clearly on the Rackvax site that the adapter which I purchased is supposed to work with the 300,600 and James Tyler Variax models. If the adapter doesn't work then they shouldn't still be selling them. In reality I didn't even need the Rackvax case but since I already own one it would look better to use it.

admin

For all the latest details contact Corey at the RackVax site
http://www.rackvax.com/products/rackmount/rackvax-electric/
http://www.rackvax.com/contact/
http://www.rackvax.com/component/contact_enhanced/62-customer-service/2-customer-service/
the Tyler Variax compatible output board arrived after I left the project ( which was back in 2010 )