Katana Hank Marvin/The Shadows Patches Wanted

Started by asimmd, November 13, 2018, 03:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asimmd

Does anyone have any patches for Hank/The Shadows please.
I am looking for the early Shads tone but anything would do.

Thanks

admin

This doc may help to create Hank Marvin  & Shadows Patches  for any MFX
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24685.0;attach=18445
https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php?thread/41841-the-signature-delay-patterns-of-hank-marvin-and-the-shadows/

QuoteI have just uploaded 13 serial delay patterns to the rig Exchange.

These seek to re-create the sounds of 5 vintage echo machines in various head, tape speed and volume combinations to give a total of 13 patterns that underpin the Hank Marvin echo signatures.

I have used the Kemper "Ace Thirty" profile which, of course is not my work, but necessary to demonstrate the delay patterns. May CK forgive me!

I have attached a .pdf information file which I would ask you to read before using these delays. You will find the profile names there and you can download them from the rig exchange if they are of interest.

Shadows Delay Patterns.pdf
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24685.0;attach=18445
A table of Shadows tracks is included, which shows mix and feedback settings to get the best sound for any given track.

I hope you enjoy trying these patterns whether you are Shadows fans or not.

asimmd

Many thanks for the reply.

I do have a selection of echo machines that can accurately create
the Shadows/Hank Marvin echo patterns including a Meazzi Echomatic
and a Hall and Collins Signature Echo.

I was looking for help with getting the early Shadows tone out of the Katana.

Thanks

admin

Quote from: asimmd on November 14, 2018, 03:47:12 AM
Many thanks for the reply.

I do have a selection of echo machines that can accurately create
the Shadows/Hank Marvin echo patterns including a Meazzi Echomatic
and a Hall and Collins Signature Echo.

I was looking for help with getting the early Shadows tone out of the Katana.

Thanks

TRy the sneaky amps and the avaiable Vox EL34 tones ( matchless, VO)

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25048232/

VOX me baby, VOX me all night long!

I've been exploring the various sneaky amps and wasn't very impressed with the default tone of VOX model. Kinda woofy, no clarity, and none of the sparkle that I would hope a VOX clean would offer... I kinda ignored it, and went on to other amps that sounded good right away with a minimum of tweaking. Marshall 1959's, Matchless, Marshall JCM 800 all have a place on my presets now with great dialed in sounds.

Today, I heard the guys from That Pedal Show do a whole show on the VOX AC 15 and I loved the sounds they were getting, especially the clean tones. I wanted that! So back to the VOX model on the Katana with a new determination to dial something in if I could. It took a while, but I found the "secret". Much like the real VOX amps have unusual tone stacks that aren't like many other amps... the Katana VOX models also were quite different from the others. The first big clue... I was trying to get more sparkle, so normally I would turn the presence control up... when I did that, it got muddier... so... turned the presence all the way off... voila... here was some sparkly tone! Again, normally to highlight the treble, I would cut the mids... but on this model, it was boosting the mids that did it. So, presence at 0, mids 100%, bass at 10, and treble at 80 ended up being a very, very good clean tone with all the sparkle and clarity I was looking for. Jumping into the eq settings, I bumped the high and cut the mids a smidge. So far, it's my new go to clean channel.

These settings would be radical on any other model, imho... but it shows the capability of the Katana to dial in tones that are far from the norm. YMMV.

sixeight

Tried those VOX settings on my Katana. Sounds really great. Thanks for sharing.

asimmd

Thanks admin
That was what I was looking and the way you adjusted the tone controls
is an education.
I will be trying your suggestions tomorrow.
Thanks again.

stevesilk51

Hi,
Check these out, just uploaded them . Look for "Casting a Shadow" in patch list.
Hope u like.

https://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?unit=katana

asimmd

Looks like my FX Floorboard software is not talking to the Katana.

When trying to get the settings for the Shadows into FX Floorboard I turn the knobs
on the amp but nothing moves on screen.

Am I missing something?

stevesilk51

Hi, Not sure that it's meant to show in FXFloorboard.  But if any non standard, that is non Boss Tone Studio patches, are loaded when you turn knobs on the Amp it will immediately revert back to Boss TS mode. 

I tried the patches on my Katana and using the FXFloorboard UI to change parameters works fine, but trying to alter on the amp has no affect but does the patches remain ok. Meaning the patches were produced using the standard amps/effects etc on the Katana. 

To save the patch to the Katana do a long press on the patch button on the Katana.

Worked for me. Hope this helps.

asimmd

Thanks for the reply Steve.
Trust me to try and do something it's not possible to do.

I think I will load Tone Studio just o see that I am actually altering the
amp because using FXFloorboard I am not convinced it's making any difference.

admin

Just remember when using Gumtowns Katana editor (seen above) with sneaky amps - use the Amps hardware CH button to write the patch into memory

To save the patch to the Katana do a long press on the patch button on the Katana.

And at gig, do not touch any FX knobs
- else the tone inadvertantly changes .
Reload your sneaky amps patch by temporarily toggle to a different CH patch and then back again to your desired CH patch