GT-100 -Internal mods

Started by admin, September 17, 2018, 02:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BOSSGT100TechnicalTipsAndTricks/

--

Kevin Knopp

So I did some INTERNAL mods to my GT-100. It's warranty us up I'm sure (bought it used for $270) and since I know a little about electronics and I'm handy with a soldering iron I did these mods to the INPUT board only.

• Replaced all ceramic capacitors with boxed metal films.
• Replaced the 10uf and 220uf electrolytic caps with newer/better low noise kind.
• Switched all the 1/8thw carbon film resistors still on the board with metal films.

I already had the parts to do this all so it was no big deal.

I feel it DOES sound overly all SLIGHTLY better and more defined. Especially with clean tones. Again I only modified the preamp that goes before the emulation. Changed no values, just put in better quality parts.

I don't advice ANYONE do this unless they know what they are doing.

I've done this with other electronics and have gotten good results. Not a WHOLE LOT different, but better.

The first pic was the original, second modified.

Shure

Could you pass me the schematic to be able to make these modifications and so I will comment on the end result or the value of the resistors?

admin

Quote from: Shure on November 29, 2018, 02:23:44 AM
Could you pass me the schematic to be able to make these modifications and so I will comment on the end result or the value of the resistors?

if you locate a GT-100 schematic  - pass it to me as well

I understand the OP simply read the component values of GT-100 preamp visually , and swapped for high grade (higher cost) components, and obtained slightly better results than stock   

charmonder

VERY cool! I never opened the GT-100 up, I expected everything to be surface mount.

KevinDK

I'm the one that did these mods last year. I just happened to find this page.

KevinDK

Quote from: admin on November 29, 2018, 05:25:27 AM
if you locate a GT-100 schematic  - pass it to me as well

I understand the OP simply read the component values of GT-100 preamp visually , and swapped for high grade (higher cost) components, and obtained slightly better results than stock

This is correct. I had the nicer parts on hand. Took out the cheap caps and replaced them with nicer ones

Some of the 1/8th watt resistors are carbon film, some metal film. I took the carbon films out and replaced them with metal.