Michael Manring

Started by germanicus, June 08, 2018, 06:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

germanicus

I was fortunate to attend a performance/clinic session with Michael Manring yesterday in Bel Air Md.

If you are not familiar with him, he is a bassist who has developed an impressive style and repertoire of solo compositions (as well as session work and group playing). He used to play with Michael Hedges, was an artist on Windham Hill, and studied with Jaco.

He employs several custom Zon basses with extended fretless fingerboards as well as multiple independent configurable tuning devices that he manipulates while playing (think hipshots with multiple settings and transtrem bridges). His usage of Ebow is truly masterful.

In any case, he was using a VB-99 with a McMillan Softstep. He was NOT using the polyphonic/13 pin capability of the VB, but mentioned they (he and Zon) had attempted to in the past but had issues integrating working pickups. He mentioned he does have a polyphonic rig, but that its size makes it difficult to bring out. I don't know that system works.

I mentioned our site to him, and that its a wonderful resource who may be able to assist them in integrating 13 pin into his instruments.

My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

shawnb

Love the album Thonk, a kinda hard fusion album...   Steve Morse on guitar & Steve Smith on drums.

At the other end of the spectrum, he also has numerous contributions on the Windham Hill label.

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

germanicus

Yeah I asked him if he would ever do a Thonk 2 type album and his response was he would like to, but its very expensive to do that type of album.
I would wager that that album could be done much more economically these days with a DAW versus a full pro studio.

Unless he was referring to paying all the various guest musicians he had on the album.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4