SYNTH-LINX - Strat Dual Jack Plate with GK 13 out

Started by gumbo, April 10, 2016, 01:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumbo

Hmmm...

Guess it's about time I got up off my @$$ and brought this thing to market like I planned about about a couple of years ago...   ::)

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

admin

Agreed! - This would be a great problem solver for many GK Internal installs

BladesToyShop

Definitely makes it look stock, instead of a hack job (even when professionally installed by the manufacturer).

Elantric

Only hurdle is some obstruction for the tremolo bar when you swing it down out of the way - may block lower Synth Vol knob

BladesToyShop

Quote from: Elantric on April 28, 2018, 10:56:52 AM
Only hurdle is some obstruction for the tremolo bar when you swing it down out of the way - may block lower Synth Vol knob

Yes, that can be an issue; I'm sure there is a solution, though.

vtgearhead

I would need the ability to have both 1/4" and 13-pin accept right-angle plugs.  That _might_ get the profile low enough to clear the tremolo arm.

mooncaine

I would wish for them to be angled away more, closer to the guitar. A more acute angle 'tween guitar and cables, I guess.

gumbo

Thanks for bringing up the subject again!!   ;D

...the original concept (all those years ago!) was to not have to do any additional routing..
...that meant working within the confines that are already there while still taking into account the need to be able to physically grip the respective jackplugs when it came to removing them.

The trade-off was also the need to keep everything below the level of the tremolo arm.

At the time, I spent an enormous amount of time playing with all those dimensions in order to get all the bits in there...granted, way back then we didn't have Codesmart's wonderful right-angle cables, and I haven't yet revisited the exercise again with a new set of eyes and brain cells.

Perhaps in the second half of this year...not possible for me at the moment with present commitments.

Very happy however to listen to everyone's thoughts in the meantime as I still would like to see this happen!

Once again, thank you all for your interest..

Cheers,
Peter

BladesToyShop

Peter, I understand what you're saying, and agree that trying to keep extra work to a minimum for the person installing this is a good idea.

Matthew

mczero

Quote from: gumbo on April 10, 2016, 01:14:01 AM

I love this pic of Gumbo's below. It is similar to what I hope to achieve on my similar coloured strat.  Only thing that worries me is there's no evidence of a GK pickup in the photo? Perhaps it was taken before you installed the pickup and were sorting the jacks in advance. All this is a great help to me anyhow.

gumbo

Well...congratulations !
You're the first person to pick that in 3 1/2 years...  ;D     (sorry, no prize..)    :'(

That was when I was using my old Chinese Strat copy as a crash dummy..
...couldn't really illustrate it too well on one of my Roland-Ready ones...    ::)

...but it still worked...

Cheers,
Peter

Headless68

Ha Haaaa I was stairing so hard at the socket I never noticed that either :-)

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: gumbo on April 10, 2016, 01:14:01 AM
Hmmm...

Guess it's about time I got up off my @$$ and brought this thing to market like I planned about about a couple of years ago...   ::)

Looks nice!  I'm assuming some drilling/routing would still be required to get the Synth-Linx cable and connectors into the guitar cavity?
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

gumbo

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on July 28, 2019, 07:00:29 AM
Looks nice!  I'm assuming some drilling/routing would still be required to get the Synth-Linx cable and connectors into the guitar cavity?

Yep..
Could be minimised with a little forward planning and providing the Jack cable with installed crimp pins but not assembled in the 7 & 8 pin connectors...
...I guess I will have to revisit this one sometime...    ;)

Cheers,
Peter

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: gumbo on July 28, 2019, 07:46:18 AM
Yep..
Could be minimised with a little forward planning and providing the Jack cable with installed crimp pins but not assembled in the 7 & 8 pin connectors...
...I guess I will have to revisit this one sometime...    ;)

Cheers,
Peter

The standard Strat jack wire hole is my nemesis!  It is barely large enough to fit two jack wires, let alone a GK or Nexus cable bundle.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Jim Williams

Many threads that I have read in the past year is the 13 pin cable is going the way of the dinosaur. not that this looks like a bad product in fact it looks very cool but if they come out with some new tech that replaces the 13 pin cable and hex pickup it might make everything I have useless. I guess some people are more satisfied with older gear so it makes this product more valuable. I just went backwards and bought a GT-PRO that I am very satisfied with. If I can find an old GR-30 for a fair price  I want one. But By winter NAMN we could see a new tech that will turn all our heads and say WHAT!!!!!

Jimmy.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

mooncaine

All that speculation about the future of 13-pin standard is only speculation.

When information is sparse, we tend to guess or speculate here, trying to predict the future.

Now those years of speculations about Roland's intentions seem to have a life of their own, but don't let the stream of our wishful thinking fool you: none of us has provided anything about whether Roland will make more groovy 13-pin gear. They never announced anything about that as of this date, as far as I can recall.

gumbo

I understand that the ongoing production of 13-pin Roland equipment is going to be VERY doubtful...but it is my conviction that there is that much stuff already in the field Globally that it is worth my while to continue to support it in the best way that I can....which principally is to provide a way to overcome the now well-known problems and shortcomings resulting from original equipment not standing up to the rigours of basic use over time.

Thankfully, this is a labo(u)r of love, and I don't have to rely upon this to put food on the table.

Synth-Linx will be around for a good while yet...    ;)

Cheers,
Peter

admin

Quote from: gumbo on July 29, 2019, 04:16:01 PM
I understand that the ongoing production of 13-pin Roland equipment is going to be VERY doubtful...but it is my conviction that there is that much stuff already in the field Globally that it is worth my while to continue to support it in the best way that I can....which principally is to provide a way to overcome the now well-known problems and shortcomings resulting from original equipment not standing up to the rigours of basic use over time.

Thankfully, this is a labo(u)r of love, and I don't have to rely upon this to put food on the table.

Synth-Linx will be around for a good while yet...    ;)

Cheers,
Peter

The Boss SY-1000 proves the lifespan of GK13 has been extended

billbax

QuoteThe Boss SY-1000 proves the lifespan of GK13 has been extended

Absolutely!

99% of all 13-pin plug and socket problems are caused by user neglect - you did it! I feel a sense of despair hearing of GK accessory designers using alternative connectors like the Lemo plug/socket connector and d-subs. They are not necessarily more reliable compared to a quality 13-pin connector. If you want to experiment with reliability and connector aging, try leaving your new GK cable outside in the garden for a month, and then see how well it works.

13-pin is here to stay.

Bill