One year and counting since the last ____9 pedal

Started by Rhcole, April 05, 2018, 12:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

Synth 9 came out about a year ago. Mel 9 about a year before that. Tick, tick, tick, time for a new pedal!

Now, I have already posted an earlier thread about predictions for the 9 series.  I am going to guess that they are easily selling well enough to keep pumping them out. Here is where I think they are at in 2018:
1. Mel 9 Choir proved they could emulate most anything provided the sound doesn't have a high end above maybe 8 kHz.
2. They still must contend with a limited dynamic range and some latency.
3. Pitch shifts are better but I think they still have to think twice about octaves above, harmonics, and intervals.

I conclude that my anticipated FM9 pedal might be a few years premature. FM tones have harmonics and intervals spraying everywhere, it might still be asking too much of them with today's technology.

What else, then? Perhaps the Pad9 for synth pad sounds? Might they double down with a new general set of synths as in the B9/C9? Or will they specialize in  a Moog or CS-80 pedal (not very likely, I think)?

They could even step outside of synths altogether. The Mel9 had limited flute, sax, and clarinet voices. A Wood9 with woodwinds could be great, but maybe not a big seller for bar gigs. The April Fools Bag9 was funny in particular because they could actually do it!

Latency and dynamic issues may limit their ability to pull of a guitar modeler yet, such as the first 1/4" pedal to offer Strat, Tele, Les Paul, Ricky, etc. emulations. But I bet they are close...

Hmm, we'll just have to see.

Rhcole

Reading my own post instead of working for a few minutes...  :-\

A Brass9- I could see Bill Ruppert playing the brass sections of "Got to Get You Into My Life" by the Beatles or "Sir Duke" by Stevie Wonder for real.
It would sell well, and be different.

admin

Quote from: Rhcole on April 05, 2018, 12:49:53 PM
Reading my own post instead of working for a few minutes...  :-\

A Brass9- I could see Bill Ruppert playing the brass sections of "Got to Get You Into My Life" by the Beatles or "Sir Duke" by Stevie Wonder for real.
It would sell well, and be different.

They need a "HARP9" that nails Little Walter Blues Harp tones  -with a variable rate  / intensity LFO vibrato with foot switch jack for LFO on / off ( something the Mel9 needs too BTW)

Bill Ruppert

Sorry nothing new in the 9 series any time soon that I know of.
But, if you want to roll your own harmonica blues sound you can. I did it 9 years ago with boxes.
Good God that is a long time ago...