Katana- Mod the amp to use a footswitch to switch red green and yellow on the fx

Started by DutchGuitarDude, March 02, 2018, 08:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchGuitarDude

I just thought about how cool it would be if you could somehow switch between green red and yellow on the fx with the gafc or an other footswitch......This might be do-able I guess.....

CodeSmart

MIDX-20 and a FS-6 or FS-7 connected to it does that "cycle the colors thing" (if setup properly).
Don't know if there's any other way to do it.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

DutchGuitarDude

I thought about rewiring the internal switch to an external switch. But I have no electronic knowledge. Anybody here might know it would be possible?

gumtown

Wiring internal CPU input circuits to external, without some electronic buffering, can expose the internal CPU to electrostatic discharge, and kill the Katana.
I think the simplest answer, without destroying the Katana, is to use 12volt solenoid actuators directly above each push button.
I would look very Steam Punk too.  ;D
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

CodeSmart

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

dazco

It would actually be extremely simplem but only if logistically it;s not a nightmare to get to the switch contacts. What you'd have to do is locate the switch in the circuit board thats activated by the button in question. Itls a tiny circuitboard mounted momentary switch. There may be 4 contacts but you;d probably only need 2. You can short any 2 of them together with the power on to see if the color changes and you'll know those are the 2 to use. Then solder wires to both contacts and solder the other ends to a jack you'll have to drill a hole for in the chassis. be sure to either use a isolated jack so the chassis doesnt make contact or use a TRS jack and use the tip and ring only. Then use a stereo cable and use the tip and ring contacts on the other end and make a box with a spst latching switch to connect the tip and ring of the jack to. Unless you isolate the jack in the amp, in which case u will use a regular 2 conductor cable. It's really quite simple but  like i said it depends on how hard it is to get to the switch contacts. Should be easy because the front panel functions probably have thier own board that likely won't need to be removed to access the switch's solder contacts. And of course drilling into the chassis will devalue the amp. Maybe you can disconnect one of the unused jacks on the back and use that. Might have to cut it;s circuit board traces to free it from the circuit.

gumtown

Quote from: gumtown on March 02, 2018, 03:16:18 PM
Wiring internal CPU input circuits to external, without some electronic buffering, can expose the internal CPU to electrostatic discharge, and kill the Katana.
I think the simplest answer, without destroying the Katana, is to use 12volt solenoid actuators directly above each push button.
I would look very Steam Punk too.  ;D
To quote myself...
By extending internal CPU chip connected switch contacts to the outside environment,
you do risk killing the Katana from static discharge if no special buffer circuit is installed before an external connector and foot switch. 

Smash

Can I add i always used to take the ESD thing with pinch of salt until it killed my Variax guitar the other week!