How Happy are you with your Godin XTSA or LGXT?

Started by JeffTronics, December 24, 2017, 10:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffTronics

Hello Godin XTSA and LGXT players.

I own an LGXSA and I like it a lot. It was an early model and I upgraded the electronics to RMC.

I've been thinking for a long time about also getting the LGXA or LGXT. I'm beginning to run on impulse to make a decision and purchase. As much as I would want the extra pickup, I don't see the LGXA in blue - love the blue! I suspect that middle pickup on the xtsa opens up other tonal possibilities. I can live without the blue however, if that extra pickup is all the difference.

How happy are you with either of these as stand alone guitars and of course your use with your synth? I have the gr-55/gp-10, and is why I prefer these guitars, and for the acoustic bridge pickup sound too.

LGXT: http://godinguitars.com/godinlgxt_22892_24124_22939.html

XTSA: http://godinguitars.com/godinxtsa.html

I also recently watched Premier Guitar's Godin Electric Guitar Factory Tour video, and that didn't help. I found myself saying, "it will be mine".

Thanks, and as you can see I'm bolstering support but want to make sure I'm getting a reality check from fellow musicians who have Godin experience.

Thanks

alexmcginness

I had a Godin LGXT and eventually sold it as they are unreliable on the road. One of the Piezo saddles went when I was playing a gig on a ship. Some sweat got into the saddle and fried the G string piezo. I was lucky I had also installed a GK 3 on the guitar as well or I would have lost three months of work not having a working guitar. The guitar itself was excellent but the electronics are what made me bail on it. Also, I had to lock the tremolo bar as it would go out of tune if you even looked at it. These are two very common complaints about the LGXT. Your mileage may vary.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

donlizard

Hi,
I've had my XTSA for over three years and I love the tones out of the pickup's. The synth pickup tracks and works well. The piezo pickup is ok. I just can't get used to the neck, feels like a big piece of lumber in my hands compared to my strat or G&L. I'll probably have to play it more or sell it, not sure.

Thanks,
Don
Godin xTSA
GC1 - Strat
G&L F-100 with GK3
GT-100
GR-55
Roland/Edirol SD-80 Studio Sound Canvas
Roland KC-500 x2 (Running in stereo)
and waaaay too much other stuff.

Shingles

I have a 2001 model LGXT with L R Baggs piezos.
I bought it new and gigged and rehearsed regularity through 2004 but since then have gigged only occasionally. It has mostly been a studio guitar.
In spite of receiving a PRS Custom 22 for a recent 'special' birthday, the Godin is still my #1. I have had no reliability issues. It sounds and feels great (I don't like skinny necks) and gives me the best possible guitar to MIDI tracking with my Axon AX100 - accurate enough to be giggable.
With the guitar modelling in the VG99 it doesn't sound as authentic as a GK3 but I don't need it to.
I don't miss the middle pickup but i'm Not really a single coil kind of guy.
Just my 2 pence.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

lespauled

I've had an XTSA and an LGX-SA.  The LGX-SA blew the doors off the XTSA.  Not even close.

With that said, I sold both of them.  The LGX-SA was the last to go.  The guitar was spectacular.  My problem was the inconsistency of RM saddles.

JeffTronics

Just want to say I appreciate the comments coming in. I'm a home musician and will pick up this guitar occasionally. Therefore I'm not worrying about wear & tear, sweat, or other environmental impact. 

I notice the current production line has a richlite fingerboard. My older lgsa has ebony. My thinking is, both are comparable to each other.

@singles. I appreciate the comments about the skinny neck and PRS reference. I was thinking about a PRS too, except for the fact it doesn't come with built in synth support. And, for the PRS's I 've tried, my left hand just doesn't feel at home on the neck. I do like the neck on my lgsa. So if the xtsa and lgxt necks are similar to the lgxsa, it could be a smooth transition for me personally.

Historically, never been a whammy bar user so this will introduce me to using one.

I do own a strat, is there a comparison to understand?

@lespauld, what do you use now, a GK3?, or different guitar that you're happier with?

Majiken

I have an old LGX-T with the LR Baggs piezos that I got new in the early 90s, I think. Played it for many years without even thinking about the  13-pin side, was happy combining the electric and turning heads with the "acoustic" sound; guess I was lucky to escape piezo failure due to sweat, never had a problem, even outdoors in summer. Love the neck & body ergonomics, although I find it somewhat heavy.  Got into 13-pin after discovering this forum, had a lot of connection issues until I got Gumbo's mighty Synth-Linx jack and a Gittler cable- zero problems since then, except warbling during fadeouts when using 12-string and alternate tunings on both GR55 and GP10.  Not using the guitar much right now, I have GK-3s on other instruments and that tracks much better for me than piezos. My best "Roland" performance comes from my '92 PRS Classic Electric; for alternate tunings, 12-string and steelstring acoustic models I currently prefer my ATG-equipped Electra MPC, warbling close to nonexistent and I can play wireless.  I still think the world of my LGX-T though, and would not hesitate to use it anywhere- it is the best hybrid I own, a jack of all trades and master of some  :)!
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

HecticArt

I look at the Godins from time to time. They are great looking.

The factory tour is pretty cool.

szilard

I have a late 90's LGXT and like it. I like the neck and have been playing it for nearly 20 years. It has split coil PUs and a 5 way switch so you can get a lot of tones. I use it with VG-99, GR-55, and SY-300 so there is a phenomenal range of tones. 

kenact

I've had an LGXT for about 10 years. I love the versatility. I haven't had any problems with the piezo pickups.

I also have an early 2000s LGX-SA, which I bought used. The only issue I had with that was, the previous owner had rewired the push/pull tone control.

I use both with a GR33, GR55 and US20.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

JeffTronics

Thank you all. I decided on the LGXT Trans Blue AAA. Fortunately a 15% off Christmas day coupon arrived just in time.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback - very helpful.

Jeff

Majiken

Enjoy- I think you'll like your Christmas present  :D!
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

kenact

Quote from: JeffTronics on December 25, 2017, 08:03:10 PM
Thank you all. I decided on the LGXT Trans Blue AAA.

That's what I have, and the day I brought it home, my wife said, that's so pretty, it makes me feel like learning to play.

Enjoy.
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

JeffTronics

@kenact.. this is good to know. Now I have to go find a Wife!

This happened. On the day of my 40th birthday in 2000, my wife at the time asked where I was going. I said, to buy my present. She wasn't sure what to make of my comment while the door to the house was closing fast behind me. I could hear her last words before it shut,  "COME BACK, WAIT, WHAT?"

Later, I learned it left her so confused she wasn't sure whether to make space available in the driveway for another car.

That was the day I purchased my used Godin LGX-SA. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. It was my first electric guitar, which was the overall objective. To finally have an electric. I distinctly remember loving the feel of the neck because it was not as tapered/narrow as the other electrics I tried. This mattered to me because I came from a finger-style background, playing acoustic and classical. I loved the clear tone and voicing from the ebony fingerboard and acoustic pickup.

As for the the Synth support? I had no clue what that funny looking round Jack was for, or how to use it. I was a computer guy but never dabbled in MIDI. Months later I picked up my first GR30 and was blown away. I had friends again - lol. My Wife at the time was losing me fast probably thinking, "he should've gotten a car".

lespauled

I'm back using a GK-3 on my custom strat now, but have my eye out for a replacement Roland Ready Strat.   I sold my RRS to get some $$$ for the Godin.  After a couple of years, I am back to looking for a RRS.

admin

QuoteRe " Re: How Happy are you with your Godin XTSA or LGXT?"

Extremely happy I got mine in 2013.  Before Godin swapped out the RMC piezos in 2021  for sub par LR Baggs piezos and LRBaggs preamp with high adjacent string crosstalk, rendering the whole line on the " not recommended " list in  major cost cutting move.

details
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30610.0

CodeSmart

Agree, an xtSA (in my case Koa) from 2015 with "latest" RMC boards is a great guitar. I  have many Roland GK guitars, and the xtSA compete equally well if you're inclined to tweak the GK settings of (for instance) GR-55. I do actually produce and sell Subsonic filters but In 90% of cases I have to turn people down because they haven't spend the time required to setup their synth for their Godin. There's no free lunch here. You have to TWEAK the settings, then it's tracking great.

The latest news of Godin's sons now (2021) using other pickups ::) with increased crosstalk is worrying...though I haven't personally had a chance to try a 2021 "issue".
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

kenact

Quote from: kenact on December 25, 2017, 10:02:11 AM
I've had an LGXT for about 10 years. I love the versatility. I haven't had any problems with the piezo pickups.

I also have an early 2000s LGX-SA, which I bought used. The only issue I had with that was, the previous owner had rewired the push/pull tone control.

I use both with a GR33, GR55 and US20.

I guess I should have mentioned my ACS Slim, A4 and Montreal Premier FTP (while not 13 pin, does have an RMC bridge, feeding the FTP).
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

IGMartin

I've had an LGXT (blue) for about 9-10 years, and it was a used model but in excellent condition. I've played it extensively an average of 3 times a month for 2-3 hrs gigs - almost to the exclusion of all my other guitars (Les Paul with GK-3, synth-readys Strat  etc) - and it has never ever failed. These, I take one as replacements if the LGXT ever breaks a string.
I use the LGXT with a Roland GR-33 and a send/return loop to ever changing multi-effects (GT-X, ME-X, Zooms GT9.2 etc ) or single pedals chains.
Never liked the thickness of the neck so I took it to a luthier that thinned and refinished the neck a bot to a more playable shape. For the regular guitar work I also would have preferred a slightly flatter fret shape but I guess that the slightly "high, rounded" profile helps to eliminate ghost triggerings, since I really haven't had those problems. All in all a real Swiss Army of guitars.