VB-99 - Noisy GR patches

Started by Antonuzzo, November 22, 2017, 01:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antonuzzo

I noticed that GR33B patches seemed noisy in their rest state, and confirmed it by building a patch from scratch. Selecting the GR synth as the driver immediately resulted in a lot of crackling. There were no problems with any of the other synth drivers.

It might be a dodgy cable - I'm going to dig out a spare and test that when I remember where I stored it. But has anyone else noticed this?

Edit: It's not the cable - I've tried two, on two different basses. What I did notice that there is no noise until a cable is connected, but also touching the GK input results in noise. Very odd.

fokof

What system do you have on your bass ?
A GK pickup or a piezo ?

I don't experience this with my 2 VB99 with piezo basses.
I will try with a bass with a GK pickup.

admin

Quote from: Antonuzzo on November 22, 2017, 01:54:32 AM
I noticed that GR33B patches seemed noisy in their rest state, and confirmed it by building a patch from scratch. Selecting the GR synth as the driver immediately resulted in a lot of crackling. There were no problems with any of the other synth drivers.

It might be a dodgy cable - I'm going to dig out a spare and test that when I remember where I stored it. But has anyone else noticed this?

Edit: It's not the cable - I've tried two, on two different basses. What I did notice that there is no noise until a cable is connected, but also touching the GK input results in noise. Very odd.

What pedal?

A genuine GR33B ? Or ?

http://www.joness.com/gr300/GR-33B.htm

Antonuzzo

Both basses have a GK-3B on them, not Piezo.

It's a VB-99 - It's the GR patches where this happens.

Kingbrit

Hi mate. Did you get anywhere with this? I have the same issue with mine...

Ben.

Kingbrit

Is this forum dead these days? =(

admin

The VB-99 area is always slow  ( due to the limited numbers of owners )

The VB-99's SYNTH "ANALOG GR"  is notoriously noisier than the "E-Bass" COSM instruments   

If you have a Bass with Piezo Saddles as part of your GK 13 preamp (Godin/RMC/Graphtech Ghost)  - you will benefit from an RMC SubHarmonic Filter for VB-99  = which will minimize noises that become apparent on the VB-99's SYNTH  - Analog GR model
( this is different than the VG-99 subharmonic filter , as the fundamental Bass Frequencies are pitched an octave lower than Guitar

fokof

I have 2 VB99 , one with a subharmonic filter , one without
just tried with the preset #208 (JazzGtSyn) , both are very clean with either Piezo or GK pickup.

I suggest to use your headphones , and unplug everything else , 1/4 , XLR , USB , SPDIF and check if it's still noizy.
I once had a ground loop with a USB interface.