Boss V-BDN ( VG Strandberg) V-Guitar

Started by Elantric, January 19, 2017, 12:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebrushwithin

Weird choice of product! For those who thought the Fender VGuitar wasn't pretty enough? It seemed apparent the Fender version was a bust, so why repackage it, in a more expensive guitar? The logic escapes me.

whippinpost91850

Brak(E)man

If it is a repackaged product like the Vfender it's obvious that Roland needs a different marketing strategy/department. Maybe listening to the customers who are actually buying their guitar innovative line, might make it easier to reach new potential users.
Just my 2 öre !
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Elantric

I'll inquire about battery life. That was the show stopper with the old Fender VStrat G5 (2.5 hours max battery life)

HecticArt

I agree that it's worthless without the 13 pin out.
Cool and funky looking, but it has less range than a toy Casio keyboard.

Elantric

I had a wonderful 1st of many meetings with Mr Yoshihero Ikegami of Roland /Boss

Got to spend hand on time with the Strandberg VGuitar, it was pretty awesome, tracked very well ,ultra fast GR-300 and some VG-8 type tones ,as well as the full compliment of COSM Modeled Guitars , ultrafast ,

chrish

Do you know if it has a way to adjust the synth parameters such as, filter, attack, etc, or are the sounds fixed with tone control?

HecticArt

I'll be really curious how things develop with this as they bring it to production and make refinements.

Headless68

I think this would work for me 'if' there was the option for some user memory slots like on TC pedals
Ola's new trem system is very cool & that would also be a deal breaker if that was not on the V guitar version

Steve - have you had any hands on or further insight ?

Smash

Strandberg with trem is a serious big ticket item - add v stuff and I'd expect over 3 grand UK

gumbo

Quote from: Smash on January 22, 2017, 04:49:25 AM
Strandberg with trem is a serious big ticket item - add v stuff and I'd expect over 3 grand UK

...as in 3K GBP  ??   

..Woo Hoo!

Would make a gently-used GP-10 and RR-Strat seem mighty cheap by comparison, methinks... :o

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Elantric

I was told the Strandberg VGuitar was a one off technology demonstrator ,not likely to see production

It essentially employed an updated version of the Fender G5 electronics, but with updated latest guitar modeling and Alt tuning. It tracked very fast and no warbles even in baritone and low octave tunings

It has a few synth tones on tap, classic GR-300 tones with cutoff frequency mapped to the Tone knob , to change the GR-300 sound. Some envelop synth tones suitable for playing funk.

But I was reminded that this was a technology demonstrator and probably won't become a product for sale in the immediate future.

lumena

Quote from: Elantric on January 22, 2017, 06:07:17 AM
I was told the Strandberg VGuitar was a one off technology demonstrator ,not likely to see production

But I was reminded that this was a technology demonstrator and probably won't become a product for sale in the immediate future.
That is like my sister says -poopoo
My hopes are dashed ---
esp. since there are 1500$ strandbergs on the site.

chrish

So they still have time to stick a hex pickup on it, into an internal vg99 or updated gp10 add a few more control knobs, a wireless midi out for pitch to midi control of external synths and editor. Nice, we're in on the ground floor.;-)

Headless68

Can't see sense in making a prototype & then formally announcing the collaboration if they didn't have serious plan to put it into production though?

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: Headless68 on January 22, 2017, 10:21:59 AM
Can't see sense in making a prototype & then formally announcing the collaboration if they didn't have serious plan to put it into production though?

Lots of prototypes never make it to production. Ever been to a car show?

pasha811

Quote from: chrish on January 22, 2017, 10:00:20 AM
So they still have time to stick a hex pickup on it, into an internal vg99 or updated gp10 add a few more control knobs, a wireless midi out for pitch to midi control of external synths and editor. Nice, we're in on the ground floor.;-)

As a pure speculation.. if as Elantric reported no warbles for baritones on an updated GC-5 hardware with latest models including GR300 and synths.. reminds me of a GP10, which is nice. Strip GP10 naked of effects and amps, leave Models including OSC and Alternate Tunings and gotcha you have it! What's my take? Simply they might have some GP10 firmware handy...  many people reported warbles wit8h GP10 in extreme (and not) alternate tunings so I speculate that this prototype proves that a GP10 update could be as imminent as three months in the future! :)
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Elantric

More details see attached pics

Spoke to Ola Strandberg today.
https://strandbergguitars.com

It appears this may be released for production later this year

HecticArt

They already seem to offer enough options in their product line that if they get enough interest/feedback about their first vguitar, that a version with the hex pup and a 13 pin out might make sense to them. Once they've gone as far as to build in the electronics for an all internal synth, to take a step back and build some without the extras, only make sense. They don't have to invest anything extra for development, and they open their potential market to a wider base. It's like any other company, they just need to decide it there is profit or loss potential for them.

Headless68

The more I look at this, the more I like it :-)

Was there any mention of adding the trem for a prod model ?

Elantric

QuoteWas there any mention of adding the trem for a prod model ?

Was my 1st question

Strandberg has a new tremolo that I think would go well with this guitar

Hurdle is the tremolo springs in rear occupy same space as The Roland /Boss DSP Board

chrish

maybe a guitar should just be the best guitar it can be and the outboard dsp and analog signal processors should be the best they can be.

History tells us that set up is the best system because it works. There is always room for a hex or wireless hex  pitch to midi out.

pasha811

It looks like it got all bases covered. Good Guitar and Good synth. Not a good option for the real time control guys but enough for many. At the press of a button or rotary switch notches you got everything.. so why not?
As said maybe that's the right direction. I think it didn't work on GC-5 and GC-5A because of the way it was done. Less options. I was at Stef Burns (http://www.stefburns.com/) GC-5A presentation in Milan and it was great as a guitar but with less bases covered than this one and the price was... ouch!
So maybe Strandberg is right. The best of both worlds. High price. Pros and semi pros. For the others if they want a solo synth sound.. go SY-300.

chrish

Those are good points and i can see the appeal of plug and play. However, a great guitar will still be a great guitar for a long time. Will it be a great guitar long after some  digital gizmo inside becomes outdated?

do we expect that roland will offer upgrades in ten years?

my vg8 was good for it's time and still does some cool stuff, but imo, the vg99 is better tech and has better sound then the vg8.

From what i hear, the gp10 has some better sounding modeling then the vg99. However, i can use all of that digital tech with the same guitar, because of the gk hex pickup

A great trem on a great guitar is a better guitar, imo, than a great guitar that can't have a great trem system because a company wants to put soon to be obsolete, compromised digital tech inside. Sure, they may sell a few, but not to me.

pasha811

Quote from: chrish on January 23, 2017, 04:47:25 AM
Those are good points and i can see the appeal of plug and play. However, a great guitar will still be a great guitar for a long time. Will it be a great guitar long after some  digital gizmo inside becomes outdated?

do we expect that roland will offer upgrades in ten years?

my vg8 was good for it's time and still does some cool stuff, but imo, the vg99 is better tech and has better sound then the vg8.

From what i hear, the gp10 has some better sounding modeling then the vg99. However, i can use all of that digital tech with the same guitar, because of the gk hex pickup

A great trem on a great guitar is a better guitar, imo, than a great guitar that can't have a great trem system because a company wants to put soon to be obsolete, compromised digital tech inside. Sure, they may sell a few, but not to me.

Good points.
For me the external box always win... now I am convinced while earlier I was not.