Boss eBand JS-8 Hacks from the JS-10

Started by 681954, January 11, 2017, 08:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

There is so little information out in the world of the Ethernet about the JS-8, a little more for the JS-10. The early model is now in the price range of many who could not previously afford to buy a new one, so there will be a demand for more information; as I am just such an owner. So I am on a little mission. This is me by the way:  https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19878.0

If anyone has a Boss eBand JS-8, the patches are backwards compatible from the JS-10. You can get all the files here: http://www.bossus.com/go/js-10_tone_room/

I have a 32GB card in mine, so I just changed the "Roland" file name in the JS-8 using the songwriter to something else. Then I added the newly downloaded Roland folder, and renamed a file within the new folders:  ROLAND --> JS -->  PATCH_JS10.J8P to that as you would normally find in the original JS-8 folder which reads:  PATCH.J8P.

Once this is done, it adds a bunch more patches of later composition, if you have not removed the original folder you can still navigate to it through the JS-8 onboard Song List and arrows; best of both worlds ;)

You can also add the User stuff that you have created and any additional folders that you may have on the JS-8 if you have ever downloaded the eTracks and Licks that they (Boss / Roland) produced as additional resources; so you do not really need to keep the "old" Roland folder if you do not want to. I would state that you should already have an original that came with the machine stashed safely somewhere else in any case.

I thought that my next hack may be to change the OS from the original JS-8's, to the later JS-10's (there is a downloadable version 1.01 available for the JS-10 on Boss site). Obviously Roland will not have re-invented the wheel when it comes to program language etc., but there are some other considerations.

1.   There is a new speaker system in a JS-10 ?!

2.   Some of the JS-10's base commands are slightly different, eg:  to check OS version in the JS-8 you turn on power while holding down the  < (left) and > (right) arrows buttons around the nav wheel. On the JS-10, you hold down the "Exit" and "Enter" buttons while you power-up.

3. The JS-10 has an additional Guitar / Mic input plus the Aux in which are all really the same in their basis to the JS-8's

So, why have I not yet done any more hacks myself?

Purely beacause I have only just got this thing and I am getting used to all that is there presently. I would hate to change the OS and lock the thing up before having any use out of it; it would then need a trip to Boss to re-boot it. That would probably cost more than buying a 2nd replacement :)

In the pdf that Boss supply with the JS-10 version update, they state (very carefully worded) not to use the update on any other than the JS-10. Now is that because they know it is also backwards compatible with the JS-8, and if so, why would many replace their JS-8s with a JS-10? They are careful not to 'suggest' the possibility of not using it as I am pondering, just scare tactic ?!

I will ponder more while I use this little beauty.

Elantric

FWIW - the Boss  Micro BR80 can also load same "eBand tracks" as JS-8, JS-10. There are a few more Micro BR80's among our ranks compared to JS-10's   
http://www.bossus.com/support/knowledge_base/201970969

http://www.bossus.com/support/knowledge_base/?product=BR-80&submit=Search

howarddavidp

I recently got a JS-10.

I was wondering if any 3rd party apps are available to make patches on a PC?

howarddavidp

Will Gumtown make us an editor for the JS-10?  That is one thing lacking that we really could use...

admin

Quote from: howarddavidp on August 03, 2018, 10:07:35 PM
Will Gumtown make us an editor for the JS-10?  That is one thing lacking that we really could use...

I believe the issue of "Why no  JS-10 Editor?" is same hurdle as "why no Gumtown Editor for Micro BR BR 80 ?" 

Because nether support the necessary MIDI SYSEX over USB communication required for an editor.

beattytg

I just got a JS-10.  I am wondering it there is a simple way to bring my tracks from my JS8 to the JS 10 without having to export them all and redial all the names and keys back in?

HPike

I have both a JS-8 and a JS-10 (which i use in 2 different places). Some of the guitar sounds on the JS-10 seem much better than their equivalents on the JS-8 (e.g. Classic Studio) and I was wondering if I could transfer them from the JS-10 to the JS-8. I've searched high and low on the internet but found nothing other than this thread which seems to be related. I was hoping the hack described here might do what I'm after. I've downloaded the patches from the tone room and I'm looking forward to trying them but it's the JS-10's original guitar sounds I'd really like to transfer if possible. I've used the finder on my Mac to search the sd cards but cannot find anything that looks like the guitar patches/ sounds. Also, I cannot find the JS8 / JS10 patch files referred to in the initial post on either machine's sd card - I wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

HPike

Just to update my last post I discovered the patch file is created when you select the option to Backup patches on the eband. I did that on both of them and then made a copy of the patch files before replacing the JS-8's with the JS-10's. It worked and I was well pleased. Many thanks to 681954 for the original post without which I wouldn't have managed. I had wondered if the guitar sounds were better simply because of the improved speaker system in the JS-10 but that wasn't the case, they definitely sound better on the JS-8 now  :).