GR20 issues part 2

Started by feefop, December 17, 2016, 10:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feefop

Well, I bought a used GK3 pickup and no the GR 20 works!  Well, sort of.  the Low E and A strings either do not sound or they sound different notes, almost like weird arpeggios.....Seems the GK3 is not working correctly?  What kind of luck I'm having, I tell you...

gumbo

Fully read this:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.0

..you may well have a 'new' (fully compatible) Roland cable, but it still may not be making full contact..

HTH

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

feefop

OK, so I tried a little deoxit on each cable end (roland GK13 cable) and still the same problem on the GK3.

For kicks, I put back my the old GK2, and it now works but the high B and E strings don't sound.  But when I actually fiddle with it and make have the pickup contact the strings I get sound.  GK2 is still bad?  More deoxit?  Voodoo chants?

I cannot believe the trouble I'm having to get this work...Roland should give me a brand new GR55 for this! :)

Thanks

feefop

slooky

sixeight

As you have a similar problem with both the GK2 and the GK3, it could be a faulty GK cable or a faulty connection on the GR20. I  would swap the cable first...

feefop

I had two GK cables I tried it with.....same problems. 

I give up....back to my marshalls and fenders.  I think these guitar synths are more a novelty and fun here and there but not something to hang your hat on, so to speak.

sixeight

Quote from: feefop on December 26, 2016, 10:19:35 PM
I had two GK cables I tried it with.....same problems.

If you have the electrical skills or know somebody who does, check the soldering on the GK connector on the GR-20. A bad soldering could cause the problems you are experiencing.

QuoteI give up....back to my marshalls and fenders.  I think these guitar synths are more a novelty and fun here and there but not something to hang your hat on, so to speak.

It is a pity you are having a bad start with this gear. I have to say. My old Marshall has been broken more often then my VG/GR/GP gear...

feefop

It's obvious this roland synth gear is prone to problems.  Just reading up on it tells you so.  Yes, it's Roland, the Walmart of synth gear, and any large company like this will use the public as its testing subjects.  I hope with the GR55 that most of the problems have been solved...but reading up on that, seems not!

gumtown

Have you installed the GK-3 correctly?
here are some points to check...

With 1mm spacing between each string and the pickup poles.?
Is the GK-3 mounted as close as possible to the bridge.?
The GK-3 pickup radius screw adjusted to suit the guitar fret-board radius.?
Is the GR-20 set to 'bass mode' or 'guitar mode'.?
Has the 'GK Input Sense' been set for each string.?

Do you have the GR-20 owners manual
it is from here
https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/gr-20/owners_manuals/

It is unfortunate that you are having this problem with your GR-20,
and the posts you read here on problems are not typical of most of the Roland GR/VG gear.
As for posts on equipment issues/problems,
most people will vent out their problems,
but you don't get as many people ranting about how well their gear is working.
So the % of gear with issues is quite small compared to the happy %.
A large proportion of equipment issues are due to incorrect GK installation, user error in the GR setup, or faulty/incorrect cables.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/