EHX - Desired feature: Midi-control for EHX effects boxes

Started by carlb, October 28, 2016, 04:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlb

Ordered one yesterday. Should be here sometime next week. Will work it into my rig, and report how it goes!
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Smash

A man of action! Look forward to hearing about result.

carlb

The MIDI-enabled Key9 came today. Looks great, reading up on it now:

https://www.microdesignum.cz/EN/Products/MIDI-Modules/MIDI-Control-for-Electro-Harmonix-x9/Manual-for-MIDI-Control-for-EHX-x9

Seems very well thought out. Go to One through Nine of "scratch-pad" patch locations - they correspond to nine sound modulation types of the x9 pedal. Change the knobs around to get the sound you're looking for. Then save those values into a given user patch (PC# 01 through PC# 128).

I'll need to go into the Global Menu to change the defaults for CC# 20 through CC# 24, which the pedal responds to. I have those already as Assigns on the GP-10. Those CC# inputs can keep up with MIDI expression pedal outputs, so you can change the value of the Key9 knobs via a MIDI expression pedal. Cool if you want to speed up of slow down a rotary effect, for instance.

In my rig, Program Change (patch change, or "PC") commands will be sent by the MIDI Mongoose. I'll coordinate the Key9 PCs to dove-tail with what I have on the GP-10. The Key9 will change to whatever patch it's commanded in lock-step with the GP-10, but only those patches where the GP-10 loops-in the Key9 will have the Key9 effect present.
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

vanceg

We've got an ENORMOUS underground cistern that is 'often' used as a massive reverb here in the Seattle area. Come on by! 

Quote from: chrish on August 20, 2019, 10:25:21 AM
Smash, Just saw your utube link and clicked on it. That Derwentwater acoustic piece is incredible. Hard to believe it only has 163 views.

Do you have any concrete WWII bunkers nearby that are open to the public? If so, maybe check it with your acoustic guitar. The natural reverb in those bunkers can easily replace midi triggered pads.

Smash

Quote from: carlb on September 04, 2019, 05:10:55 PM
The MIDI-enabled Key9 came today. Looks great, reading up on it now:

https://www.microdesignum.cz/EN/Products/MIDI-Modules/MIDI-Control-for-Electro-Harmonix-x9/Manual-for-MIDI-Control-for-EHX-x9

Seems very well thought out. Go to One through Nine of "scratch-pad" patch locations - they correspond to nine sound modulation types of the x9 pedal. Change the knobs around to get the sound you're looking for. Then save those values into a given user patch (PC# 01 through PC# 128).

I'll need to go into the Global Menu to change the defaults for CC# 20 through CC# 24, which the pedal responds to. I have those already as Assigns on the GP-10. Those CC# inputs can keep up with MIDI expression pedal outputs, so you can change the value of the Key9 knobs via a MIDI expression pedal. Cool if you want to speed up of slow down a rotary effect, for instance.

In my rig, Program Change (patch change, or "PC") commands will be sent by the MIDI Mongoose. I'll coordinate the Key9 PCs to dove-tail with what I have on the GP-10. The Key9 will change to whatever patch it's commanded in lock-step with the GP-10, but only those patches where the GP-10 loops-in the Key9 will have the Key9 effect present.

I know it was a big outlay but you're pleased so far? The C9 has been recommended to me as the one to have over B9 and am wondering about doing the mod on a used one...

Smash

Quote from: vanceg on September 04, 2019, 05:41:14 PM
We've got an ENORMOUS underground cistern that is 'often' used as a massive reverb here in the Seattle area. Come on by! 

Wow! Interesting that of all the instruments the guitar "provokes" the least noticeable reverb

chrish

Quote from: Smash on September 05, 2019, 09:22:26 AM
Wow! Interesting that of all the instruments the guitar "provokes" the least noticeable reverb
Exactly. And weed is legal in Washington State now so its acoustic musical bliss playing in those old forts.  8)

I see that Drake island will be open to the public after some Restorations.  looks like they have some underground Chambers there is that near you?

Quote from: vanceg on September 04, 2019, 05:41:14 PM

I have played in some of the bunker at Fort Worden  but didn't know that cistern was located there.

the bunkers with the multiple Chambers really gets The Echoes bouncing at different times, volume and tone.

I do fear that I've totally hijacked Carl's thread  and wonder if it's not too much trouble for the mods to move the drift to its own thread, maybe titled "natural" reverb and delay spaces.

carlb

Like the build quality, layout, and thoughtful functionality so far (based on what's in the manual). Nothing hooked up yet though.

Have a gig tonight, so been getting my $h!t together for that. Day gig too (of course). So far just looking into the online manual and thinking about how to incorporate the MIDI control it into my rig. Think I have that sussed-out.

I have the C9 and Key9, of the two the Key9 gets more gig-time. It has a decent jazz-organ patch which I use most, and also the phased Rhodes, the Wurlitzer keys, and steel drums for "St. Thomas." But ... the C9 has the strawberry fields flutes, and the Farfisa for "Telstar." Tough choice.

Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

carlb

Update:

Have been kicking the tires of the MIDI-modded Key-9.

So far, so good: I can create, save, and toggle between patches on the Key-9.

Setting up "patches" on the modded Key-9 is pretty much as described earlier.

For patch playback: "Dry" knob fully ccw, "Key" knob to set volume, "CTRL 1" fully clockwise, "CTRL 2" about at 12 o'clock. ("CTRL 1" full CW: Otherwise that "intensity" control doesn't get enough effect in the "play" mode.)

For my rig, I need to run a separate power supply for the Key-9. Or plug-in the Key-9 after the GP-10 is on and "steady-state." A few ideas, but likely inrush current causing an initial starve on the Key-9 B+, so its processor/dsp doesn't start up. Beefier power supply - time to experiment.

Still to do: Setup patches 7, 8, and 9 as the desired "Rhodes," "Steel Drum," and "Jazz Organ" patches that I want to switch among. Then setup corresponding 7, 8, and 9 patches on the GP-10 to best work with the Key-9 for those patches.

Then, the Mongoose will send the patch change commands that MC6, GP-10, and Key-9 will respond to. Strap the Key-9 to the rig, power it, and cable it (including MIDI to the MIDX-20).

Then the Key-9 is fully integrated into my rig!

But wait, we need to get back to the cavernous reverb discussion ...  ;D
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

HighTension

I've ordered the Cathedral mod from these guys and hoping it will work with my Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai. It yearns for midi sync. After that will try the Arduino mod of controlling the parameters via midi for expression pedals, auto looping etc as a pattern progresses.