Focusrite Scarlett -New Generation versions

Started by Elantric, June 03, 2016, 07:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

https://us.focusrite.com/home?rd=1

About Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen

Focusrite most versatile bus-powered audio interface
The second generation Scarlett 2i4 is Focusrite most versatile USB-powered audio interface, ideal for anyone needing a cue mix for performing or recording. It is compact yet flexible, with two natural-sounding Scarlett mic preamps, super-low latency (Super-low roundtrip latency was measured at 2.74ms, working at 96kHz with a 32 samples buffer on Logic Pro X, running on a Mac Pro and OS 10.11), MIDI input/output, four analogue outputs and the same class-leading sound quality and digital conversion as the rest of the latest Scarlett range.

• Two natural-sounding Scarlett mic preamps with plenty of even gain
• Two newly-designed instrument input, designed for seriously hot pick-ups
• Class-leading conversion and sample rates up to 192kHz / 24 bit
• Super-low latency (Super-low roundtrip latency was measured at 2.74ms, working at 96kHz with a 32 samples buffer on Logic Pro X, running on a Mac Pro and OS 10.11) for using your plug-ins in real time without the need for DSP
• Cue mix switching, with four analogue outputs
• One headphones output with gain control
• MIDI I/O connectivity, ideal for sending/receiving MIDI notes from a Stage Piano
• Compact and tough enough to take anywhere
• Powered by USB so you don't need to carry a power cable
• Includes Pro Tools, First - Focusrite Creative Pack and Ableton Live Lite
• All the additional software and loops you need to start recording

Take it anywhere, connect by a single USB cable, plug two microphones or instruments straight in and easily record studio quality audio against a cue mix. Focusrite is the perfect partner for Pro Tools and to celebrate this Scarlett 2i4 now comes with an exclusive version of Pro Tools, First Focusrite Creative Pack, as well as Ableton Live Lite. It is also compatible with all other major DAWs, on Mac and PC.

The Ins and Outs you need
With Scarlett 2i4 your recordings will sound just how you want them. Two combination inputs with natural-sounding Scarlett mic preamps, line level inputs and newly-designed instrument inputs let you record anything you want. The four analogue outputs and MIDI I/O make the Scarlett 2i4 ideal for the modern music producer using outboard synths or performing live. Use the 1/4 inch balanced jack outputs to connect to professional studio monitors or the four RCA outputs to connect to a home speaker system or DJ mixer.

New Generation - Better in every way
The second generation Scarlett range is packed full of upgrades. New super-low latency (Super-low roundtrip latency was measured at 2.74ms, working at 96kHz with a 32 samples buffer on Logic Pro X, running on a Mac Pro and OS 10.11) will bring confidence to your performance, letting you record and monitor with software effects in real time. New metal gain controls and a sleeker red metal chassis reassure you of its improved industrial design, built to go anywhere.

The Scarlett range also now operates at sample rates all the way up to 192kHz and the input channels have evolved too. The latest Scarlett mic preamp features a more even gain structure, so you can accurately set your levels and the instrument input has also been completely redesigned so it can handle seriously hot pick-ups. Finally, Focusrite have provided analogue protection circuitry across both the inputs and the outputs, to guard your interface against unwanted power surges.

Ready to record, anywhere
Compact and portable enough to take anywhere, you won't even need a power supply; Scarlett 2i2 is connected and powered by a single USB cable. It also comes with the software and effects you need to start recording; an exclusive version of Pro Tools, First Focusrite Creative Pack, Ableton Live Lite, the Softube Time and Tone Bundle, Focusrite's Red Plug-In Suite, 2GB of Loopmasters samples and more.

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen Features

System Requirements Mac OS X Yosemite, El Capitan
Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows 10
Scarlett 2i4 (2nd Gen) is class compliant on Mac. Driver will be required for PC.
Software Bundle Red 2 & 3 Plug-in Suite
Softube Time & Tone Pack
Pro Tools First | First Focusrite Creative Pack
Ableton Live Lite music making software
2GB of Loopmasters sounds and samples
Novation Bass Station VST and AU plug-in synthesizer
Dimensions (H x W x D) 1.85 x 8.27 x 5.43" / 46.99 x 210.06 x 137.92mm
Weight 2.03lbs / 0.92kg (with accessories)
1.92lbs / 0.87kg (without accessories)

Elantric

Mitch Gallagher presents the 2nd generation of Focusrite's popular Scarlett USB audio interface. We'll cover the differences between this generation vs. the previous generation, and we'll present audio demos with Don Carr on acoustic guitar.

alexmcginness

http://masters-of-music.com/1st-gen-focusrite-scarletts-work-with-2nd-gen-drivers-for-lower-latency/

1st Gen Focusrite Scarletts Work With 2nd Gen Drivers for Lower Latency
AUGUST 7, 2016

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share
Focusrite-Scarlett-2i2-vs-2i4-comparison-review

A couple of people have left comments over the past week saying that they were able to get their 1st generation Focusrite Scarlett interfaces to work with the Windows drivers designed for the new 2nd gen Scarlett audio interfaces.

So I went ahead and gave it a try and it's true. The 2nd gen driver does indeed work with my 1st gen Scarlett 2i4. Crazy, huh?

The best part is the overall latency is just as low for the 1st gen as the 2nd gen. In fact the numbers are exactly the same.

Last month I posted a comparison review between the 1st and 2nd gen Scarlett interfaces, and by far the biggest difference with the 2nd gen is the lower latency.
http://masters-of-music.com/focusrite-scarlett-2nd-gen-2i2-vs-1st-gen-2i4-comparison-review-video/

Being able to take advantage of that improvement on the 1st gen is a major bonus.

With the 1st gen driver, the lowest latency setting for 48kHz is 12.4 ms on my Windows 7 PC. Using the 2nd gen driver, the lowest buffer size setting for 48kHz gives just 5.1 ms of overall latency.

To me it's totally surprising that the 1st gen interfaces would work with the 2nd gen drivers. I'm sure Focusrite doesn't want people to use them that way but it works nonetheless.

Focusrite has said on their Facebook page that they plan to update the drivers for the 1st gen Scarlett interfaces to improve latency, but that was a couple of months ago so who knows when that's going to happen officially.
http://masters-of-music.com/focusrite-to-update-drivers-for-1st-gen-scarlett-interfaces-too/

In the meantime there's a workaround if you really want the lower latency option on your 1st gen Scarlett interface.

Notes & Tips – Read First!

You can download the 2nd gen drivers from Focusrite's website.
https://us.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Scarlett+2i2

I tested the 1st gen 2i4 using the 4.11.0 driver specifically and it was working just as well as with the 2nd gen 2i2, with a few exceptions...

Don't try to use the higher sample rates from the ASIO control panel with 1st gen interfaces because that causes bluescreens. They support up to 96kHz only, but the 2i4 handled the new lower buffer size of 32 samples just fine.

As noted in my 2nd gen Scarlett 2i2 review,
http://masters-of-music.com/review-2nd-gen-focusrite-scarlett-2i2-audio-interface-video/
the 2nd gen drivers are buggier than the 1st gen drivers (at least on my system). Here's are three tips that may help you avoid the same issues:

1. Make sure to close all audio applications before unplugging the interface from your computer, even if they aren't running, or it may cause a bluescreen.

2. If the CPU starts spiking randomly and causing crackling noises, toggle the buffer size setting to fix it (for some reason I have to do this with Pro Tools sometimes but not with Ableton Live).

3. I had to turn off automatic screen timeout on my PC because sometimes when it would turn off the screen while audio was playing it would freeze up the PC.

At first I was really annoyed with these random issues, but now that I've figured out what causes them the 2nd gen 2i2 has been running great, and the lower latency is totally worth it for what I use it for.

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

shawnb

Thanks for that post alexmcginness  -  very helpful to know about the drivers.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

alfstone

Several 2nd gen. users complain about W10 drivers...I was going to buy one of these, but now I prefer to have a more clear situation about that...

Alfredo

yuri

I have  also  new Focusirte 212 -2 gen  and  it work very well for me

Elantric

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/focusrite-offers-free-ios-control-for-interfaces/?etitle&utm_source=insync&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=insync20161021

Focusrite iOS Control works in conjunction with the Focusrite Control desktop app that is included with the company's audio interfaces, such as the Scarlett 6i6, Scarlett 18i8, Scarlett 18i20, the Clarett family, and the Red 4Pre and Red 8Pre. iOS Control gives you remote control over hardware inputs, software playback, panning, solo, and mute, and preamp settings from an iOS device. (Controllable features vary depending on the Focusrite interface model.)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/focusrite-control/id1127384645
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/sections/201615829-Control-Software

Elantric

Big Focusrite Scarlett 2nd GEN sale at Adorama

Must click through from this link
https://slickdeals.net/f/9341795-focusrite-2nd-gen-scarlett-audio-interface-sale-solo-75-2i4-140-solu-studio-150-18i8-250-18i20-360-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

18i20 is a great deal as this includes 8 low noise mic pres, and works standalone without a Computer or with the new IOS remote control app
https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i20
and free
Protools First
PG BIAS FX
https://us.focusrite.com/plugin-collective

alexmcginness

Just bought a 2i6 for my video machine and it works great. Ill take my 1gen 2 1 4 on the road with me now. I hooked the old 2i4 up to my road laptop after installing the 2nd gen drivers for it and 1) they work on the 1st gen boxes and 2) the latency is a lot lower now with the new drivers. Im a happy camper.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

admin

New Gen3 Focusrite Scarletts

https://www.gearnews.de/focusrite-scarlett-3rd-gen-audiointerfaces-in-dritter-generation/

If you wondered when Focusrite's popular audio interfaces went into the next round - now it's time. Scarlett 3rd Gen is the password. The look is fresher now and of course something has changed in the inner values ​​as well. Focusrite promises us not only better sound, but also more innovations.

Focusrite Scarlett 3rd Gen
High Gain - and low noise level - that should distinguish the new models all. 24-bit / 1 92 kHz and fast USB driver with low latency are still remained. 48 volt phantom power for the microphone inputs with Scarlett preamp is also unchanged. Now there is the switchable Air function , which emulates the spacious and airy sound of the ISA microphone preamp .

Two virtual inputs allow the loopback feature to combine stereo material with any hardware input and software playback channel . This is handy for podcasts , live streaming or sampling .

As usual, a software bundle is included:

Ableton Live 10 Lite
Pro Tools First Focusrite Creative Pack
Time and Tone Bundle by Softube
Focusrite Red Plug-in Suite
Any instrument of Addictive Keys from XLN Audio of your choice
Another bonus is membership in the Focusrite Plug-in Collective . This gives customers access to free software and special offers every two months. Sample distributor Splice will also give you three months of free access when a new account is opened.

What's new?
In the configurations, of course, the models differ in the number of inputs and outputs. The exact features of each model you can look in detail, if you click on the links below.

Scarlett Solo now offers balanced TRS outputs that eliminate unwanted humming and noise when speakers with balanced inputs are connected .

The new Scarlett 4i4 interface replaces Scarlett 2i4 and gets two additional fixed-line inputs. This allows cue mixing or routing of audio to FX pedals .

The Scarlett 8i6 interface replaces Scarlett 6i6 and offers two additional fixed-line inputs . These allow the connection of several synthesizers or external effect processors.

Scarlett 18i8 masters the ALT speaker switching functionality for dual monitor setups .

The Scarlett 18i20 comes with a talkback feature . But there is an onboard microphone in the interface . Dual ADAT allows for the addition of eight additional mic pres with up to 96 kHz .

Focusrite will continue with the new Scarlett generation continue to ensure that this series is one of the most sold interfaces in the world. What can you say, the value for money is just right. M especially like the two Bundles for Scarlett Studio 3rd Gen and Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen. They are aimed directly at beginners and add to the interface a CM25 MkIII condenser microphone , the studio headphone HP60 MkIII and a 3 meter XLR cable . This is already a pretty round affair for podcasts or a small recording set.

Prices and availability
The new Scarlett audio interfaces are available today. The prizes start at 114 Euros ( Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen ). The 18i20 3rd Gen costs 599 euros .

Further information
https://focusrite.com/scarlett