Boss GT-100 bug - changing patches on its own

Started by rxpaul, March 14, 2016, 10:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

Quote from: mantra on March 18, 2019, 09:31:05 AM
hi
really i dont' want to go off-topic (just to avoid an unless topic) but for example the gt-10 buttons like comp, distortion,fx1 ,fx2 and so on (what i miss on the gt-100) , sometime does enable the effect at the first push ,after 2 or max 3 taps they work
can i spray from the outside? or should spray always from the inside?

thansk
best to spray from the inside directly into the switch, as the GT-10 switch do not directly align under the push buttons, there are leds under them and the switch is to one side.
The switches are the micro tactile type.

And if you disassemble the GT-10 have the face down so all the switch plastic buttons don't fall out and get mixed up as there are different types (some transparent and some not).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mantra

Quote from: gumtown on March 18, 2019, 12:07:03 PM
best to spray from the inside directly into the switch, as the GT-10 switch do not directly align under the push buttons, there are leds under them and the switch is to one side.
The switches are the micro tactile type.

And if you disassemble the GT-10 have the face down so all the switch plastic buttons don't fall out and get mixed up as there are different types (some transparent and some not).
hi
same job for the boss gt-100 left and right page buttons, yes?
seeing they are always used and can't change page with others buttons
thank , appreciate it!

rxpaul

Update to the knobs saga:

By the end of 2018, the GT100 was unusable. From tuner mode to patch mode to stomp mode to just plain old patch mode - everything suffered from random parameter changes.  Even had gigs where the mids were sweeping wildly between 0 and 100 mid performance. DeOxit would make it better for a sometime but now even that went on to be of no use. Software resets helped only till a knob needed adjusting, or till the tuner mode was accessed (the tuning pitch would go wild) and then everything else would follow. Seriously considered binning the unit.

I moved to Budapest meanwhile and just gave the unit to Roland service here. The unit went to their service center and here is the reply from the service personnel:
"Unfortunately, there was no error in the service after several days (!) of testing, so it is possible that the malfunction of the potentiometers is caused by a fault in the motherboard.The replacement of the motherboard costs 59800 + 13350 Forints, so if you don't mind continuing the testing."  Well that cost is literally 50% of a new unit so I refused a motherboard change and asked them to only change the potentiometers (which are being sent from Japan so it would take a long time as well).

It's been a great ride with the GT for 7 years, and I am not sure if I'll see the light at the end of this tunnel. I checked out the GT1000 and was massively underwhelmed, mostly with the UX. So i will probably just get another GT100 in the coming months.

Hope this info helps anyone else out there with similar issues.

admin

Quote from: rxpaul on April 04, 2019, 02:27:40 AM
Update to the knobs saga:

By the end of 2018, the GT100 was unusable. From tuner mode to patch mode to stomp mode to just plain old patch mode - everything suffered from random parameter changes.  Even had gigs where the mids were sweeping wildly between 0 and 100 mid performance. DeOxit would make it better for a sometime but now even that went on to be of no use. Software resets helped only till a knob needed adjusting, or till the tuner mode was accessed (the tuning pitch would go wild) and then everything else would follow. Seriously considered binning the unit.

I moved to Budapest meanwhile and just gave the unit to Roland service here. The unit went to their service center and here is the reply from the service personnel:
"Unfortunately, there was no error in the service after several days (!) of testing, so it is possible that the malfunction of the potentiometers is caused by a fault in the motherboard.The replacement of the motherboard costs 59800 + 13350 Forints, so if you don't mind continuing the testing."  Well that cost is literally 50% of a new unit so I refused a motherboard change and asked them to only change the potentiometers (which are being sent from Japan so it would take a long time as well).

It's been a great ride with the GT for 7 years, and I am not sure if I'll see the light at the end of this tunnel. I checked out the GT1000 and was massively underwhelmed, mostly with the UX. So i will probably just get another GT100 in the coming months.

Hope this info helps anyone else out there with similar issues.

I had an issue with a GT-100 -  - some of the encoders were dead  - discovered they were not encoders but special "Cosine" dual potentiometers

details

GT100 - VR Rotary / Pot repair
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14346.msg103080#msg103080

azeunkn0wn

Does anybody here know a better and more accessible alternative for those pots?