Are Electro Harmonix leading the way 1/4" jack poly "synth" stuff?

Started by Smash, November 13, 2015, 05:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

I must admit that I was and remain largely underwhelmed by the SY300 but recently stumbled across the EH demo for the Key9 electric piano pedal which blew me away (a familiar face/set of hands demoing). And this following on from the B9 and C9. They totally outgun the VG99 rhodes/organ efforts even without the "advantage" of using individual string processing.

What I'm really curious about is whether EH will make the leap into a fully blown multiFX rack because I think that could be quite a tool to have.

neshel

Maybe, but don't count on it. Too many products in the market. Also, they won't think about custom units, so not likely they'd do this.

szilard

Quote from: Smash on November 13, 2015, 05:11:50 AM
What I'm really curious about is whether EH will make the leap into a fully blown multiFX rack because I think that could be quite a tool to have.

I really like the key9, but I don't see much comparison to the SY-300, which I also like. The key9 has a pretty specific sonic palette and 4 parameters and the SY-300 has a  wide range of sound and too many parameters to count. What are you thinking in terms of "a fully blown multiFX rack "? The EHX product line is pretty deep.

I've wondered if EHX has considered taking any of their DSP stuff to VST.

Rhcole

I have all of the products you referenced. I thought EHX might run away with the award for this area. The C9 certainly does a better job by far for organs than the SY-300, and the Key 9 is also a good product for an acceptable electric piano fake. But the SY-300 isn't trying to be either of those products, it's supposed to be a synthesizer. I have found it to be extremely versatile and usable.

Maybe if EHX does a radical rethinking of the HOG2 they might gain new ground. But I for one think both companies are hanging in there pretty well, and we are the ones who benefit.

acousticglue

To me the biggest reason EHX doesnt get my money is preset capability. There is no on computer setup for presets. EHX per BRuppert isnt into making VSTs. The SY300 could be even better if you could import premade waveforms. They could add even more FX into Sy300 as well. More meaning some other sidechaining internally. I love the SY. Biggest problem with Roland is not enough preset people to sculpt the presets. I am a novice at oscillators etc but am beginning to understand the unit. I would love to have a C9 or B9 to plug into SY to see what it could do. Or a Pog. I have tinkered with GR5 FX with it.

Smash

Quote from: szilard on November 14, 2015, 10:54:25 AM
What are you thinking in terms of "a fully blown multiFX rack "? The EHX product line is pretty deep.

Rack or Floor mounted - expression pedal assigns - memories! - save on CPU costs by using the module select philosophy of Zoom/Line 6 i.e. restrict combinations of modules based on CPU overheads. Basically access to bulk of EHX stuff in one box - and that is also the reason it won't happen. Buy 3 pedals and you're in over £500 already - profit is king so no need for them to do it. Big shame though.