Vypyr Pro System User Reviews

Started by Elantric, September 22, 2015, 10:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/peavey-vypyr-pro-review.1621426/page-8#post-20676327

RoundSound wrote>

First Impressions. I got the Vypyr Pro last night and spent a couple of hours with it. I just went through the presets and tweeked some of them a little. I learned enough to know that I can now sell my HD500, James Tyler Variax and a bunch of other associated stuff. I'm very happy to be going back to my homemade Warmoth V.

The amp is a keeper and I can give my GAS a rest for a few years (in terms of guitar amps, at least). The preset switching is the fastest I've experienced and since one preset quickly fades into the next it makes it seem even faster than it is. There is no dropout or other artifact between patches.

The sound is very present, clear and unmuffled. The presets will give you a good idea of what's under the hood but I'll build all of my presets from the ground up. You probably will too.

The interface is awesome but you'll need to read the manual to get everything that you need. Go over to Elantric's vgutarforums to get the manual and even more insight.

This afternoon I'll start building my presets and I'll dig even deeper into the amp, so expect more feedback soon.

When you get yours make sure the Power Sponge is set to 100%. That is the bypass setting. Like any spice, it easy to get too much in your recipe. I can't see ever turning it up over 33% and I know I'll never use it. The supplied amps will give you all of the saturtion you'll ever need and it's easy to turn the amp down to 1 or 2 when you're in the bedroom. Or just plug in the headphones.

The tuner has a cool function that I didn't expect. When it's activated the 4 model bay LCDs join the party. When the Model 2 and 3 lights turn green, you have arrived at pitch. This is above and beyond the tuners primary readout in the main editing LCD. It will help you get tuned in sunlight.

I plugged a full range audio source into the FX Loop's return to check the characteristics of the speaker. I played some commercial music through it and I can clearly hear that the Pro doesn't have a full range speaker in it. It's a guitar speaker that won't pass anything over about 6 kHz. So don't think you can play tracks through it and play along without sonic limitations. I still need to test the direct out and find the place to adjust the frequency response of it. I assume you can just turn the speaker emulation on and off, but that's just speculation at this moment.

I tried the instrument models and Elantric was correct that most are not very realistic. The 12 string guitar is not useable but the acoustic is OK. It sound like a very clean guitar. I have a piezo built into my V so I'll just use that. The synth is cool, bass is not very good, violin can be useful but not very authentic. The modeled instruments are kind of a hidden, unadvertised feature. Peavey doesn't brag about them.

I'd like to get the Vypyr foot controller but I have to justify replacing a very useful Behringer FCB1010. The 1010 gives me 10 switches without having to change banks and that covers almost every preset I need including boosted solos. Using 2 banks and switching between them occasionally is much easier than changing banks every few songs. Of course, I won't get the looper until someone discovers the MIDI messages that are needed to use it.

There ya go, installment 1 of roundsound's Vypyr Pro hands on review. Thanks to Culpster and Elantric for their reviews that set me on this road.

Elantric

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VypyrPro100/reviews

Fred M.

Peavey Vypyr Pro 100

A new level of Peavey modeling and control superior to the earlier Vypyr models. With Sanpera Pro foot controller, this 100-watt monster is the perfect live performance rig.

Exceptional features and versatility combine to give players all the tones for any style with the touch and feel of a tube amp costing 5-10 times more.

Incredible value, Peavey reliability, superior control, diverse tonal palette, portability -- what more could mere musical mortals want?

treewiz

Awfully quiet here, how is everyone digging their Vypyr Pro, I'm digging mine so far! I'll be putting it thru the test this weekend at an outdoor gig at the Fall Festival at the Bellayer Ski Slope in the Catskill Mts; Upstate N.Y. Hope it works for me.

Elantric

Cool - I still love mine for grab & Go convenience

I saw your post on the Gear page
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/peavey-vypyr-pro-review.1621426/page-11#post-20720313
QuoteHow is everyone liking their Vypyr Pro, I'm digging mine and really find out how much I like this weekend where it will be put to the test at an outdoor Fall Festival at the Bellayre Ski Slope here in upstate N.Y in the Catskill Mts. Hey Culpster you say your direct out operates independently volume wise from the amp volume but I am finding that if I raise the amp master, post gain or channel master volume up it raises the output of the direct out. I can regulate an even level amount between the amp and direct out by the xlr control knob but if I solo with my volume pedal or boost switch the volume increases in both the amp and the direct out. Is this how your amp operates?
- and My Vypyr's MSDI XLR output changes output levels based upon the Master Volume setting and if Gain Boost pedal is active

I set overall level to PA using the rear XLR D.I. Out level pot

treewiz

Well it has been two weeks of owning the Vypyr Pro and upon testing it at a gig and rehearsals, it has been a bit of a struggle with getting my desirable tones due to this new set up. Mainly because of the different variables of amp controls and parameters. I first thought hm? My presets I had made so quickly and easy, sounded great then in a live format, not so. They either got lost in the mix, sounded fizzy, or just not the right amp for the song. The power sponge, pre-gain, post-gain, presence and resonance are the key factors to make this amp sound good and that takes a bit of experimintation. In reality this is not a turn it on and sound great amp, then again, what is? Just like everything else out there that is new and high tech, you have figure it out to tweak it. I am certainly getting there and because I do like this set up alot compared to all the other gear I have owned or do own, I have decided stay in there and keep the "VYP" I love the sanpera Pro pedal for it's logical set up and functions and transporting convienence along with the 1x12 combo amp all in one format, three cords and your good to go, true grab and go! I know with alittle more experience with this unit I'll achieve my goals for a  Grab and Go rig with satisfying tones and practical functions. So this is my latest review of this good product.

Elantric

Every system we talk about here will have "teething pains" until you have used it for a few rehearsals and gigs.

Despite my arsenal, I find I still use my Cube 80XL for rehearsals -  set on the 100% analog "JC Clean" channel, Volume at 9:00 o'clock, 

and for solo crunch I use a EHX OD Glove pedal ,  with Vol on Max, Gain on "1" (just barely up )and tone around 10:00 o'clock for my "slight tube break up" tone and i get great results

I use a Boss LS-2  with Red knob set at  2:00 o'clock strictly as a Solo Booster for 5dB clean Boost

hsuru4u

hi, so would you consider this amp over an amplifire? or the ax8? i cannot afford all of them. I dont gig and just record at home and sold alot of my amps recently to fund a helix which i returned...so i am considering the vyper,the amplifire or the ax8....i know prices vary but never had an axefx or even tried one because of price untill now with the 1399 price on the ax8.thats like my limit(the helix was 1199.99) thanx

hsuru4u

Quote from: Panthersn on September 25, 2015, 11:50:04 AM
I had the same issue and could not find a fix.   

After playing the Vypyr for two days I decided to return mine.  I found a few of the AMP models that I really liked (classic 30 & Budda clean), the High gain models had a little to much fizz for my taste.  In short it did not fit my application, but I'm sure some will love it.

Seems strange that they had an 18+ month delay in shipment and couldn't manage to have the editor ready.  The amp I/O is intuitive but I like to program via editor (getting spoiled by BIAS FX I guess).  I found many of the patches were to showcase some of the amps crazy effects rather than have usable patches.

I would love to revisit the pro if they decide to make a rackmount version or a floor unit.

wow i hope it wasnt returned to AMS..i just bought a scratch and dent one...i wonder if those who sent them back because of a noisey ground issue are going to be returned to peavey or recycled and just sold for less like the one i bought coming thi week...that would suck big time....The 1st thing i will check is the ground thing....

treewiz

My only gripes about this amp are the finicky tuner and the noisey MSDI direct out which I have tried everything to eliminate the noise and hum without adding an external hum elliminator. This is my second unit and I don't want to send it back again so I'll just mic it guess. You do have to work at getting the presets to cut thru the band mix but that is with everything you use amp or modeler, processor. I find this amp convient to tweak on the fly. Have not seen much activity on this site and thought I would spark it up again. How is everybody's Vypyr Pro performing?

treewiz

Hey Elantric are you still using the Vypyr Pro or have you moved on? I am digging mine and gigging with it.

Elantric

If I was playing more metal it might work, but I play more classic rock tones , and I hoped the Vypyr had a bit better cleans and reverbs and matched the specs as advertised

But Vypyr Pro still feels like a "beta" firmware, with non usable Audio USB ( no Audio Driver) , mono FX, and more hiss and noise compared any of my other gear and no user editing of Sanpera Pro foot control MIDI control
Due to the FX Loop return on rear, It works as a powered cab for my other digital modelers 
Ive been spoiled with my Kemper, Axe-FX II, Helix

But recent gigs I admit I'm using a Vox AC15-CC1-TV + Roland JC-40

Still think the 2011 Cube80XL is my most versatile amp

e Vypyr Pro ,after extensive testing it proved to be an amateur level technology compared to alternatives.

The support is non existant

Fx are strictly Mono

while manipulating Sanpera Pro  - I only see MIDI patch change messages being transmitted  - and nothing else ;(
The floor controller is not user reconfigurable.

Vypyr Pro noise floor is very high , only eclipsed by the Marshall Code for worst DSP audio performance in a modern guitar amp.  Needs an always on noise gate, which yields choking and sputtering when guitar vol is on "3".

Vypyr Pro System User Reviews
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16266.0

Mine is for sale

Big Jim

I had the Vypyr a few years back. It didn't care for the Florida heat and humidity. Kept having to reboot the amp at least once a set. This was before I found my VG-99 and GP -10. Nice sounds and very loud but it wasn't dependable enough for my gigging schedule. There were a lot of people doing mods on their amps back then. Something about the internal boards being the same on all the models just some features disabled. I don't know if they ever changed that.

treewiz

Believe it or not I am getting excellent clean tones as well as classic rock tones. I play alot of Skynyrd,ZZ Top,Bad Company, Southern Rock'n Roll, and other classic rock tunes and this amp has worked very well for me mixing with the band. I do have noise issues with the direct out so I have had to ad an ART transformer loop hum eliminator ( unfortunately extra gear). I have had alot of luck with the noise gates per preset. I also have and use the Axe-FX II (love it also) but the Vypyr Pro is a grab and go easy to set up unit for me. Anyway sorry the Vypyr Pro didn't work for you Elantric.

vtgearhead

I don't own the Vypry Pro, but after living with a VIP2 for the past month or so I've arrived at a love/hate relationship with Peavey's tube modeling.  It does a lot of things fairly well, but the DSP overdrive algorithm exhibits absolutely bizarre (and mostly non-musical) artifacts.  Even at medium gain (Orange on the modeling knob), cleanly picked single-string notes have a burst of broad-spectrum "fizz" that sounds somewhat similar to very bad fret buzz or a rubbing voice-coil.  Depending on pick attack and amount of palm muting it varies from barely noticeable to "icepick through the ears" obnoxious.  Worse than this are the intermodulation artifacts.  Playing more than one note produces a prominent difference tone.  If you fret, e.g. the B and E string at the 12th fret and bend the B upwards you'll hear a loud E (as if you fretted 6th string at 12th fret) that dives down as the difference between B and E narrows.  Heavily overdriven amps tend to have traces of intermodulation, but this is silly loud - just about par with the fretted notes!

I'm not a DSP engineer, but can only guess this is a result of cost / performance tradeoffs.  Too bad, because there is a lot to like about the dynamic response and overall timbre.  Before anyone asks, I have already exchanged the unit once on the theory that perhaps I had a dud.  No difference.  Second one behaved exactly the same.

Elantric

QuoteWorse than this are the intermodulation artifacts.  Playing more than one note produces a prominent difference tone.  If you fret, e.g. the B and E string at the 12th fret and bend the B upwards you'll hear a loud E (as if you fretted 6th string at 12th fret) that dives down as the difference between B and E narro

To be honest , my genuine 1966 Vox AC-30 Top Boost tube amp does exactly that same intermodulation phenomena,

On 15th fret on the e & b string, play high G and D double stop, then bend only the b string ( D up to E) while the G note ( on high e string ) rings out , you hear a third low note 2 octaves down bending in opposite direction from the bent b string.

It's the first thing I check for on any DSP Amp Modeler's " Vox AC-30 Top Boost" emulation.
My Kemper does that too

But I agree with VYPYR it's tough to get the smooth tube modeling of a Fender Mustang III V2 DSP Amp - while Metal Guitarists tend to prefer the Vypyr Amps " Can of Bees" tone

Luckily both have Aux/Line /MP3 inputs that allow you to bypass their DSP and just  use these amps as an open back self powered guitar speaker cab /Stage monitor for the GP-10 /GR-55 / VG-99, and use them essentially like a Tech 21 Power Engine

vtgearhead

I noticed that all the online demos of the VIP amps were heavily biased towards Death Metal and other lawn-mower tones :-)  I'm not saying this doesn't have its place in the musical spectrum, but it's not where I reside. For $149, I consider the Peavey to be a reasonable investment - if for no other reason than it forces me to play extremely cleanly to avoid IM tones. 

+1 on the extension amp application.  Will be a good way to work with the GP-10 when practicing in the bedroom.

Fender did their homework when designing the Mustang III v2 and, while not perfect, it has few digital artifacts. 

Elantric

QuoteFender did their homework when designing the Mustang III v2 and, while not perfect, it has few digital artifacts. 

I agree, Ive been playing around with one for a few days, and this specific model is capable of many great sounds. But start adding external distortion pedals and just like the DSP channel on the SuperChamp XD/X2, the Mustang tone goes south rather swiftly (the signal starts choking and the noise goes rather high.

I still think the Cube 80XL/GX takes external distortion pedals better, and the Cube 80XL with its sealed closed back 12" cab delivers more low end oomph and has less noise and higher headroom to handle  GR-55 PCM synths that would clobber and flubb the Mustang  III v2' or Vypyr's  open back 12" Guitar speaker. 

But for most guitarists, many useable sounds are all built into the current Mustang III v2 amp, in a  light weight easy to grab plug and play package for blues jams that can go loud or feed the FOH PA in Stereo with its Stereo XLR Outputs, and the re-routable FX Loop and Android tablet editor make for a wining combination.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6879.0

Although the Vypyr VIP 2 does have those those "Instrument simulations" that work reasonably well and need to be explored.

Side note, Ive been playing a new Cube 80GX with my Les Paul, and with the Roland 6 button foot controller and two EV-5 pedals you can dynamically change the gain, distortion  and volume  using the two EV-5 pedals - rather like the GA-212 and this Cube 80GX amp  has a decent Acoustic Simulator, that allowed my stock Les Paul to deliver convincing acoustic tones 

Too many choices these days. But I can understand why the Fender Mustang Amps are so popular - because they sound pretty good right out of the box at a great price here in USA. and most models have an FX loop ( missing on the Vypyr and Cube 80.

But feed a GP-10 / GR-55 into the "JC Clean channel or feed MP3 / Aux input on the Cube 80, and you have a good small amplification system for the DSP Modeling gear we talk about. I still use my older Cube 80XL live, mostly because  compared to the new Cube 80GX, the speaker in the older model has a bit wider frequency response with more high frequency clarity for use with Synths.