Custom Dual GK PU for more than 6 strings (Steel Guitar, Warr, Stick, etc)

Started by Elantric, August 08, 2015, 05:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=120527&highlight=ivl+pitchrider
Post Posted 11 Nov 2007 11:48 am     

new pedal steel Midi Pickups built from Roland GK-2a's   

I was going to buy a Steelrider 12 string setup from Chuck Abend in KC but his string spacing on his Zum was too wide to fit my guitar. I got frustrated and decided to build my own from Roland GK-2a standard guitar pickups.

I use my cnc milling machine to mill out the proper string spacing and then cut apart the Gk-2A's and glue the individual pickups into the brass holders.

Here is a photo of my 1st one for my Excel U-12 with narrow string spacing.

I power them with a couple of Roland GR-9's midi controllers/synths that I bought on Ebay for $125.00 ea. They work very well and really add to the thickness of a steel with midi strings in the background. I also have hooked the midi outs to my Casio keyboard that has a really convincing hammond B3 sound.

Here is a couple of photos of the one I just finished for Dave Easley's D-10 Emmons.

I charge $100.00 to mill and powderpaint the pickup body and pickup mounting plate and will solder them togather for an aditional $150.00 you will need to supply the Roland GK-2a's

You can email me at David.Munson@DavidMunson.com

I charge $100.00 to mill and powderpaint the pickup body and pickup mounting plate and will solder them togather for an aditional $150.00 you will need to supply the Roland GK-2a's

You can email me at David.Munson@DavidMunson.com

jtode

Hmm... I just posted in here about trying to get a GK-3 onto my Peavey Powerslide. I'm very curious now about your process for splitting up the pickups. You say you saw them?

My plan was to order a bridge from RMC, they sell strat-style saddles which can be attached to more or less anything, if you're not afraid of drilling some holes.