Antares Internal DSP Luthier Kit

Started by Elantric, January 14, 2015, 12:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

I'll add that (compared to AT-200 with its piezo saddles ) the latest Antares Internal DSP Kit with the included Shadow mag hex PU has a better smoother tone for Modeling electric guitar sounds - while still delivering good Acoustic modeling tone.

Its typical comparison of 1st generation ( AT-200) vs 2nd generation ( Antares Internal DSP Kit) improvements.

Last month I found an AT-200 with the full Antares Bundle pre-installed $320

of course a week later the Antares Internal DSP Kit with the complete model pack bundle went on sale for 50% off and is still $299 until october 1st

My point is don't base opinions on the Antares ATG DSP tech on a three year old  AT-200 

Elantric

LAST DAY TO SAVE!!
https://transactions.antarestech.com/atgconnect/LuthierKitOrderForm.aspx

Today is the last day to save up to 50% on an ATG Custom Installation Kit!

Just a quick reminder that you only have until midnight (PDT) tonight (October 1st) to purchase an ATG Custom Installation Kit for only $299.

Virtually any electric guitar can be retrofitted* with the ATG Custom Installation Kit.

Featuring instant access to:

A perfectly tuned guitar with perfect intonation.
Modeling of classic electric guitars, acoustic guitars and basses
Alternate tunings
Doublings (12-string, Polyphonic Octaver, etc.)
Virtual Capo (up & down)
64 user programmable presets
Remember, this offer is only good until midnight (PDT) tonight, Thursday, October 1st, so don't procrastinate.

https://transactions.antarestech.com/atgconnect/LuthierKitOrderForm.aspx

bbob

Would my rarely used because I never could get a decent acoustic guitar sound JTV-59 be a good candidate for one of these kits?

Thanks.

Bob

Elantric

I ordered my 3rd kit today - and plan on installing in my JTV-59 too.

Might even fabricate an interface board to allow either piezo or Mag Hex PU as input PU type  to the ATG DSP board

Mag Hex PU = better for traditional electric guitar tones and palm muting playing technique

Piezo Hex PU = better for Acoustic guitar tones - a bit more clarity -( but can sound harsh and brittle for Rock . Metal, Blues electric guitar tones) 

Infi-del

Is there someone you can send a guitar to in order to have this kit installed? I have a Strat Hardtail that I built that's my baby and would LOVE this kit in it. But it'd have to get routed for it...

My ebay user name is Doom_Enterprises you can see my feedback here... http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=doom_enterprises&ftab=AllFeedback

Elantric

Any RMC Pickup installer on this list can do the Antares DSP kit installation - call one
http://www.rmcpickup.com/authorized_installers.htm

Elantric

CodeSmart

My personal feeling...being a bit old fashion, frankly, would you trust the 'fret control' on big stage with 1000-15000 people in the audience while doing jumps and other guitarist gymnastics, or on a TV broadcast? I would be really scared hitting the volume knob my mistake...reprogramming the tuning into a total fubar ::)
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Infi-del

Is there any point in having magnetic pickups with this kit? It's capable of so many tones and tricks... seems like regular pickups would just be a waste.

I have an American Strat hard tail body laying around that is waiting for a build. Seems like I could fit all this gear under the pickguard. Is there any real need for a battery box if it can receive power via the cable?
My ebay user name is Doom_Enterprises you can see my feedback here... http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=doom_enterprises&ftab=AllFeedback

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: CodeSmart on January 30, 2016, 02:18:30 PM
My personal feeling...being a bit old fashion, frankly, would you trust the 'fret control' on big stage with 1000-15000 people in the audience while doing jumps and other guitarist gymnastics, or on a TV broadcast? I would be really scared hitting the volume knob my mistake...reprogramming the tuning into a total fubar ::)

My AT-200 did just that the other day!  Fortunately in the studio, not on stage.  I went to tune it the "normal" way and it came up with a very strange tuning, now permanently.  There's no emergency "reboot" that I know of (yet).  Resorting to reprogramming the guitar through the computer.......
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

admin

ATG-1 was my 1st exposure to the Antares System

I also struggled with fret control when I beta tested inadvertently entering an unscheduled Alt Tuning

I think it can be disabled in the ATG-1 Floorboard System

Not sure about AT200

GuitarBuilder

I think it's unnecessary if you go the iPad control route.

utensil

Anyone know if piezo's (specifically graph tech ones) can be directly connected to the DSP board?

Elantric

Read the ATG install manual (URL link in the 1st post in the thread) that fully explains the options
They indicate instructions for using a RMC PolyDrive 1 board for Piezo pickups
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13462.0

utensil

Thanks , about to get to the install manual, just ordered the kit and started reading the owners manual and have gotten bogged down in the science talk chapter on pitch correction which I desperately want to comprehend but it'd a bit over my intelligence pay grade.

admin

Just download the PDF here
http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/mediafiles/online_help_records/53_ATG_Luthier_installation_manual_v1p2.pdf

and search on "Piezo" in Acrobat or your preferred PDF reader

They indicate instructions for using a RMC PolyDrive 1 board for Piezo pickups.

Although the Peavey AT-200 guitar used Piezo pickups which could directly connect to the ATG DSP board.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16061.0

LR Baggs Piezos tend to work in that scenario.
Although the ones used on the Peavey AT-200 were rather low cost Asian imports of indeterminate source

utensil

Yes read that and had initially understood that they needed to specially modify the dsp board for the Parker fly but upon Reread I now understood the dsp board required special modification as they were taking the output of the 13 pin level ( i.e. Similar to using attenuators I suppose)

Should receive the kit in a week or 2 and will report my results

utensil

So I posted and deleted a question asking if the 6 way free way ultra switch would work to access all the 5 ATG modelled pickup sound positions in a les paul with ATG installed. I finally think i found the spec for both the antares 5 way switch and the free way 6 and have a wiring diagram if anyones interested. I think it would work.

I'm not sure if I've understood correctly and am open to anyone pointing out my errors. I plan to order the free way ultra.

Anyone know if there is a difference in DSP board between the 5 way switch version and the 3 way les paul(besides the switch supplied). Is any config nessasary to change the switch? The install manual says their is a toggle on the board but I can't seem to see it in the photo's , can anyone confirm if this is still present in the current version of the board

GuitarBuilder

The ATG board needs to know what position the switch is in; only a 3- or 5-way will work.  Even the manual says "if you have a 6-way switch you're out of luck".  Your only option is to convert the guitar to a 5-way switch if you want to retain the full ATG functionality.

Elantric

FWIW- it's the same Common ATG DSP Board

After you log in with your ATG user ID ,the ATG patch Editor /Librarian will expose advanced controls   for changing the ATG DSP board to accept either a 3-way PU switch or 5-way PU switch , adjust scale length and string sensitivity

The ATG Luthier kit installation manual has full instructions

The 5way switch is a common 4 wafer type (4 pole 5 position blade switch) , and ATG DSP uses just one pole. The other three poles are available for advanced Mag PU wiring.

It's all explained in the ATG manual
Also explained a bit further detail in the Peavey AT-200 ATG Guitar owners manual.

The ATG Luthier kit DSP board includes the "Complete Pack" ATG Firmware

http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/mediafiles/online_help_records/49_ATG_Guitar_Feature_Packs_v3.10.pdf

utensil

Been searching and could only find the following in the manual:

Accessing modeled pickup selector positions is done in three ways:
  Five valued MIDI pickup selector input, and   A five position guitar pickup:
These directly access the five position models of California Single Coil. For three position models, these access neck, neck+bridge, neck+bridge, neck+bridge, and bridge.
  A three position guitar pickup:
These access the California Single Coil pickup models neck, middle and bridge. These directly access the three positions of the three position models - neck, neck+bridge, and bridge.

Peavey at200 Manual (at least the one on their site is pretty bare). If it's doable with the 3 way switch I'm surprised this isn't mentioned clearly. anywhere.

Anyway is there a reason why my wiring of the 6 way switch wouldn't mimic the same connections as would be done with the 5 way switch. How would the board know the difference?

Elantric

I don't own the current Freeway 6 way switch, and to be honest I can't determine anything from their limited documentation. I would need  a physical example and an ohm meter to determine if Freeway 6 way switch is suitable

The goal for Antares ATG is to obtain a 5 position switch which electrically looks like this:

You could use a rotary switch  - but that might be awkward to navigate at a gig
In my case I use the ATG-1 floor pedal at home, which includes a foot pedal for PU selection, or an iPad running MIDi Designer Pro and the ATG Control Template.

The ATG Luthier kit DSP board includes the "Complete Pack" ATG Firmware described here with the MIDI CC# control  for PU select information
http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/mediafiles/online_help_records/49_ATG_Guitar_Feature_Packs_v3.10.pdfb

utensil

Hey thanks and sorry to be such a pita but I just read through the whole thing ...nothing about being able to select all 5 pickups configs with a 3 way switch and encoder combo or any other method other than midi (or the intended 5 way switch). This doc is the same one I got the text from my last post from (p26).

gumbo

Hi utensil,

FWIW, (and I understand that it's probably all academic now..  ) the Schematics for the Freeway switch variations are shown on the first page of the 03 & 05 DIAGRAM PDF downloads available here...   the following pages in each PDF relate to specific pickup switching combinations...  and get a bit messy...   ;)

http://www.freewayswitch.com/download-pdfs/

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...