Boss GP-10 YouTube Videos

Started by Elantric, March 19, 2014, 08:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmurray99

sixeight

On that second video patch change delay seems pretty acceptable. Nice.

taupo_axeman

No doubt these GP-10 vids already posted here by someone... But I like the way they are grouped
http://www.truthinshredding.com/2014/05/alex-hutchings-roland-boss-gp-10-in.html
The last vid is a great demo of individual string recording and re-amping
https://www.gigbag.app/
Guitars: 1975 Strat, Godin XTSA, Maton Acoustic, Roland GC1
Amp:Tech 21 Trademark 60
P.A.: Mackie SRM 450's, 15 Mackie Active Subs
Floor: Boss GP-10, VG8 EX, VG-88
Studio: Logic Pro, Omnisphere, Korg Triton, Tria Event speakers
www.tasmanhoppers.com/music/

drjoness2001

I just posted a video of the 100 factory presets of the GP-10:

Wayne

CodeSmart

Perfect Wayne, in Europe it seems we won't get the GP-10 until end of July. So this is "almost" as I've just got it. Thanks  :)
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

jassy

Quote from: drjoness2001 on July 12, 2014, 02:21:56 PM
I just posted a video of the 100 factory presets of the GP-10:

Wayne

Thanks for the demo. Its done with a piezo or gk guitar?

Can you share your opinion about if the GP-10 does not need for the subsonic filter device with piezo guitars?

drjoness2001

I did the video with a GK-3 guitar, right out of the box (it is noted at the very beginning of the demo).

I spent today doing back-to-back tests, and yes sub-sonic filters do improve the sound of the GP-10.

But on my test guitars, a recent model Godin LGX-SA, and a GK-3 guitar, the previously subsonic issues were not as bad as with some other guitars, or with the GR-55 or VG-99.

I think if you are using a hollow-body guitar, you would see more of a difference for sure. But the factory GP-10 GR-300 patch (#03) does not have the same level of compression as the main GR-300 solo GR-55 patch, which really amplified the problems. And in my experience the LGX-SA is not as prone to low frequency noise energy as some other guitars.

Also, since the GP-10 does not track pitch-to-MIDI, you do not have the issue of the processor chasing the ghost thumps and bumps. It depends on what your focus is; if you are really keen on the best possible GR-300 recreation, and a few other things, you would like to have the filter, but if you are going for more of the main stream guitar modeling, you might not see the same benefits.

Quote from: jassy on July 12, 2014, 05:18:01 PM
Thanks for the demo. Its done with a piezo or gk guitar?

Can you share your opinion about if the GP-10 does not need for the subsonic filter device with piezo guitars?

carlb

Your filter/buffer works great with my Ghost-equipped SH-575 Carvin. Thanks much, Wayne! It's going to be built into my gig-rig for sure.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

sixeight

Thanks for your demo, Wayne.

Two things i noticed:
1) in the last init patches you hold a chord and change patch. There is some delay. Pretty similar to the VG99 I would think.
2) in the Roland sound demo I noticed tempo flashing CTL Leds. But they did not flash continually - like they were skipping some beats. In Wayne's demo there were no flashing leds on any patch. The Roland demo must have had different firmware. They obviously tried to get it working, but must have abandoned the idea in higher firmware. Pity. It always has been a missing feature on Roland devices.

EDIT #2: glad I'm wrong about this one...

Elantric

Quote2) in the Roland sound demo I noticed tempo flashing CTL Leds. But they did not flash continually - like they were skipping some beats. In Wayne's demo there were no flashing leds on any patch. The Roland demo must have had different firmware. They obviously tried to get it working, but must have abandoned the idea in higher firmware. Pity. It always has been a missing feature on Roland devices.

Here on my GP-10 many factory presets map "tap tempo" to one of the CTL  foot switches with LED that flashes in sync with the tempo.
Also on GP-10 since there exist a broad array of Control assignments, many of the factory GP-10 patches  already offer multiple sounds, like enable 12strings on acoustic model patches, or one CTL switch works as an A/B select for (A) normal PUs feeding a Marshal amp or (B) OSC synth. Also with GK-3 S1&S2 switches mapped to COSM PU  Up/ Down, you can have 5 sound with just the SRV Texas Blues patch alone.

My point is, if you only spin the Patch dial to audition 99 presets, without touching CTL 1,CTL2,or Expression pedal, or Toe down Expression pedal switch, you will be missing a significant amount of the GP-10's performance features.

Read this post for details on all GP-10 Control Assignment on Factory patches.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11506.msg85357#msg85357

GP-10 Sound List
http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/63181372/GP-10_Sound_List_je01_W.pdf
(click to expand)

drjoness2001

Thanks Carl!

Quote from: carlb on July 12, 2014, 11:14:41 PM
Your filter/buffer works great with my Ghost-equipped SH-575 Carvin. Thanks much, Wayne! It's going to be built into my gig-rig for sure.

drjoness2001

Good point about trying out the various control features etc the variations are interesting as well. But...the uneditied video is almost an hour long!

So I mostly skipped over the options just to get things down to a more reasonable 13 minutes.

My other option was to break the demo down into groups, 1-25, 26-50, etc, or maybe group patches together, and then post 4 or 5 separate videos.

But I figured that most people just want a quick overview of what the product sounds like, and not a detailed exploration of all the possible variations.

I'm working on some other demos now, but I will not have anything posted nearly as quickly as the patch overview, which I did as soon as I took the unit out of the box.

Thanks! Wayne

Quote from: Elantric on July 13, 2014, 12:18:29 PM
Here on my GP-10 many factory presets map "tap tempo" to one of the CTL  foot switches with LED that flashes in sync with the tempo.
Also on GP-10 since there exist a broad array of Control assignments, many of the factory GP-10 patches  already offer multiple sounds, like enable 12strings on acoustic model patches, or one CTL switch works as an A/B select for (A) normal PUs feeding a Marshal amp or (B) OSC synth. Also with GK-3 S1&S2 switches mapped to COSM PU  Up/ Down, you can have 5 sound with just the SRV Texas Blues patch alone.

My point is, if you only spin the Patch dial to audition 99 presets, without touching CTL 1,CTL2,or Expression pedal, or Toe down Expression pedal switch, you will be missing a significant amount of the GP-10's performance features.

Read this post for details on all GP-10 Control Assignment on Factory patches.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11506.msg85357#msg85357

drjoness2001

In my video, I do have flashing LEDs in sync with the patches, check out patch 04, at around 20 seconds, the CTL1 LED is flashing. It is at the bottom of the screen, and may be tricky to see depending on the size of the viewer.

If they do not look like they are exactly in sync, I think the problem may be the combination of the 30 fps video and the various means of compression the video has to get through before it makes it to playback on YouTube.

Thanks for checking out the video! Wayne

Quote from: sixeight on July 13, 2014, 03:03:21 AM
Thanks for your demo, Wayne.

Two things i noticed:
1) in the last init patches you hold a chord and change patch. There is some delay. Pretty similar to the VG99 I would think.
2) in the Roland sound demo I noticed tempo flashing CTL Leds. But they did not flash continually - like they were skipping some beats. In Wayne's demo there were no flashing leds on any patch. The Roland demo must have had different firmware. They obviously tried to get it working, but must have abandoned the idea in higher firmware. Pity. It always has been a missing feature on Roland devices.

Elantric

Thanks for creating this video Wayne!

arkieboy

Excellent demo Wayne!

Interesting that despite it being wave-shaped guitar string it still sounds like a Roland synthesiser.

Makes you wonder what DSI would do with the tech
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Elantric

In this short and sweet video, Braegen from Roland/Boss presents the Boss GP-10 guitar processor from the legendary Better Music Froth Hut. You'll be amazed by what this little beauty can do (the GP-10, not Braegen).

0:00 Opening demo
0:11 Overview
0:33 Tuning
0:49 Patches
0:53 TE in open G
1:19 Twah Strings
1:55 12str Rick
2:16 Wrap up

Unboxing of the new Boss GP-10 Guitar Effects Processor and installation of the GK-3 pickup on an acoustic electric guitar.

Merman93 GP-10 Videos

Favorite Patches on GP-10
I didn't edit this so its straight just playing.
Best is past midway,..
6:30 Acoustics
7:50 Gr-300 sims with controllers set for Duet, Enc Mod, Inv,+12, pitch shift
8:50 OSC Synth Sims
10:50 back to GR-300
Last one Marshall/Univibe and external Octavia

Modeled guitars from the Boss GP-10, all internal effects, and amps off. Some Guitar modeling systems don't integrate well with other systems. the quality of these COSM guitar models are great ! Control switches 3 & 4 are assigned to select COSM pickups as the Ibanez RG I'm using doesn't have a mix or S1/S2 switches installed.

All amp Models are from Kemper Profiling Amp as well as delay and Reverb. Octavias are Malekko, Fuzz Face and clean Boost are JHS.

Elantric

From MusicOverGear (Sensible Musician)

Boss GP 10 OSC Programming using Logic and Re Guitar

I just figured out how to use the Re-Guitar feature in the Boss GP-10 inside Apple Logic. About 3 seconds into it dawned on me that this would be an ideal toolset for making synth patches for the new OSC Synth on the GP-10.

In a nutshell, here is the process covered in the video:
Create a new project in Logic with the needed settings
Choose a patch on the Logic Retro Synth to customize and clone
Transcribe that patch to the GP-10, using Logic to loop a short passage and toggle back and forth between the GP-10 and the Retro Synth.

IMHO it is a very handy way for someone like me to get good patches on the GP-10. I'm not to the level yet where I can come up with an amazing patch from scratch, so this starts me off with a great sounding patch in Logic, which I can customize. Then I can build the same patch on the GP-10 by copying each parameter. Finally I can customize it more within the GP-10 to suit the sound I want, combinations with pickups, and the physical controls I need for performance.

I was a little overwhelmed when I first unpacked the GP-10, but with this workflow it has become easy. Now if that editor is ever published, it will get even faster and easier! :)

HTH
Michael

PS Sorry about audio pops and general glitchiness - this is the first screen cap video I tried to make. Next time I will solve technical problems before I make a long vid; but this time it would have taken too much time to redo the whole thing.

GK Settings on the Boss GP-10

This is what I have come up with so far to get good sound and feel from the different models on the Boss GP-10. I did this vid because I had been mislead (by Roland manuals - I think GR is short for, "GRRRR!") to think that I needed high GK pickup sensitivity for synth tracking.

I found some good info on VGuitarForums and applied it to my setup on the Boss GP-10. This vid relates what I've learned so far. Hopefully it will be helpful to others in a similar situation.

HTH,
Michael

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdet...

http://bosstonecentral.com/about/

https://www.vguitarforums.com

macman70

We need a 'Thanks' button, Elantric great video there as I too use Logic Pro X. This helps me make my decision to get one of these through the Group Buy

Unfortunately this video goes screwy towards the end, right at the point where he is cutting the double sided tape and fitting the pup ??? :

If anyone has any good video links to fitting the GK3 pup to a stratocaster I would sure appreciate. I did not find a good overview video of assembly on YouTube.

MusicOverGear

Quote from: macman70 on July 25, 2014, 06:01:16 AM
We need a 'Thanks' button, Elantric great video there as I too use Logic Pro X. This helps me make my decision to get one of these through the Group Buy

If anyone has any good video links to fitting the GK3 pup to a stratocaster I would sure appreciate. I did not find a good overview video of assembly on YouTube.

There's no "thanks" or "like" but there is "[applaud]" under the user name and Karma points.

There is a lot of GK-3 info here: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=11.0  I have been reading through that whole sub-forum, absorbing info. I personally have always just mounted GK's with pickup height screws (like on a jazz bass) and rubber tubing. Haven't had any issues that way, but also I am discovering all kinds of subtleties since switching to a GP-10 (from MIDI-only GI-20). If I learn anything significant about mounting I'll make a vid and post it in that forum category.

highlandsrock

Check this out. Latest Alex Hutchins video in conjunction with Andertons. 30 minutes of GP-10 demo. Just love the B Bender effect. I think my credit card is going to take a hit tomorrow. Wonder if they will do a deal for a GP-10 and a Strymon Big Sky?

The Boss GP-10 is one of the most versatile products we have reviewed in a long time and is packed with features that offer huge playing potential and can unlock creativity.

From 0.00 to 23.50 the GP10 is plugged direct in to an audio interface, so you're only hearing the GP10 amp models.
From 23.50 we switch to using the GP10 in to a Victory V10 guitar amp that we mic up.

For more info on the Boss GP10 - please go here...
http://www.andertons.co.uk/multi-fx-u...

Hope you enjoyed the run through - feel free to comment below or contact the store directly if you have any more questions,

Cheers

Lee
Ibanez RG870 with GT3 internal kit +
GR-33, VG-99, GR-55, GP-10, SY-1000, Strymon Big Sky

Elantric

QuoteIf anyone has any good video links to fitting the GK3 pup to a stratocaster I would sure appreciate. I did not find a good overview video of assembly on YouTube.

Best to visit the Roland VGuitar site
http://www.roland.com/V-Guitar/

and
http://www.roland.com/V-Guitar/howto.html

And a new GP-10 Full Patch demo by Darren Lock - (who will probably never see it here)

highlandsrock

Bought the GP-10 but they wouldn't do a deal on the BigSky as well
Ibanez RG870 with GT3 internal kit +
GR-33, VG-99, GR-55, GP-10, SY-1000, Strymon Big Sky

azzurro

jayson

Here's a video from TheGuitaristChannel that demos the GP-10 by showing the editor.  GAS just got worse!
Boss GP-10 User Demo with Editor:

Cheers,

jayson

Elantric

Another typical review by Tony McKenzie

Roland Boss GP-10 Inside and Out Review including samples and playing. Checkout this great pedal and the computer programs for Librarian/Editing. Plus downloading free settings!.

In this review we show what this thing is made of, and even (in video one: how to fit the GK-3 pickup. There are a load of sounds demonstrated as well as many features that this unit has. It's one of the better guitar effects pedals or synths I have used along with the VG-99 and it does sound good.

Unlike the GT-001, this Roland unit is made like a brick toilet :) and should last for years to come.

There will be a review in depth on my website www.tonymckenzie.com as well as other videos on my youtube channel www.youtube.com/tonymckenziecom so check it all out (there's about 123 videos on there now)...

Here's a link to the Baroni-Lab Floor Pedal Review too:

If you like this video be sure to subscribe...

This video is (c) A B Mckenzie and tonymckenzie.com 2014
All Rights Reserved