V Bass and guitar GK. Will it work?

Started by sjamus, April 29, 2023, 06:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjamus

Hi fellow V people.

I've spotted a V Bass system at a very good price. As I don't have a GKB pickup but only two Godin guitars equipped with GK connection, I wonder if it's possible to hook one of my Godins up to the V Bass system and play the system? Or do I have to buy a Bass GK pickup in order for it to work. Anyone know if it's doable?
Any help is highly appreciated.
Steen

stub

Not a direct answer, but I've got an SY-1000 and I've played my guitar in bass mode, and played my bass in guitar mode. It's odd, weird, cool. E.g., I loved playing the guitar mode's sitar model on my fretless bass.

I don't suppose you could take one of your Godins over there? (or is it by mail?)

Do you already have a GK processor? If not, might be better to get a GP-10.

Elantric

GP-10 does not support GK-3B and no Bass Mode -as found on GR-55, SY-1000

gumtownadmin

The V-Bass will probably work to a small degree with a GK guitar input, but will most likely cut out above 7th fret due to input filtering range.
The V-Bass effects are on par with the Boss GT-6, kind of "Meh".
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

sjamus

Thanks a lot for your replies :) I do have a collection of VG units. 1x VG-8 with S1 card, 1x VG 88 V.2, 2x VG 99+ 1x FC-300 and 1x GR 30. So I'm ok in that departement ;)
I also have the Roland GKP-4 to hook 4 units up (I know. I'm a lucky guy). I was just interested in knowing if I could add a GK Bass Unit to my collection for more Bassguitar options. As Gumtowns reply indicate, it might be doable but maybe not very well. I'll consider buying it as its cheap - around 100$.
All the best and thanks again.
Steen

billbax

Havent plugged my GK3-B bass into a GP10 yet, but it certainly sounds ok-ish with a VG-88 re-amping separate strings. Just a thought :)

sjamus

Thanks for the interesting video Bill. As I understand it you are doing it the other way around. Playing a Bass guitar with a GKB into a VG88. I'd like to do it the other way around - a guitar with a GK pickup into a V Bass :)

fokof

Are we talking V-Bass ( the first ones ) or VB-99 ?

My Classical Godin works in my VB-99 until +- 5/7th fret ( high E )

gumtown

I am assuming this, the original 2002 V-Bass
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Antonuzzo

Quote from: sjamus on April 30, 2023, 06:23:24 AMThanks a lot for your replies :) I do have a collection of VG units. 1x VG-8 with S1 card, 1x VG 88 V.2, 2x VG 99+ 1x FC-300 and 1x GR 30. So I'm ok in that departement ;)
I also have the Roland GKP-4 to hook 4 units up (I know. I'm a lucky guy). I was just interested in knowing if I could add a GK Bass Unit to my collection for more Bassguitar options. As Gumtowns reply indicate, it might be doable but maybe not very well. I'll consider buying it as its cheap - around 100$.
All the best and thanks again.
Steen

I did a test a while back of GK-2 / GK-3B kit with a variety of 13-pin systems :Here's the link.

I would say that $100 for a V-Bass is a no-brainer – pounce on it! They don't turn up very often and they are incredible bits of kit. Even if you don't go down the bass route, the resale value is pretty good.

sjamus

Thanks a lot for your replies. Highly appreciated :)
I've decided to ditch the idea. Not being able to play above the 5/7th fret is a no go. I'll wait and see if a VGB-99 shows up and take it from there.
All the best.
Steen

gumtown

SY-1000 might be a better option,
 not likely to find a VB-99 at a bargain price, they are quite rare compared to the VG-99.  8)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

davrosandthedarleks

Hi all,
I've several GK-13 pin products.
Currently I am enjoying messing around with an original V-Bass with a regular 6 string with a GK3 pickup.
I have made some satisfactory patches as a blank/stock guitar sound and I'm now adding effects and tweaking them.
In terms of cut off, I certainly get a good response up above the 12th fret on all strings. I have noticed a difference between the guitar model that is used. Some give up not far above the 14th fret, but others will continue to the 24th!
I suspect it's the filtering of each patch.
I originally got the V-Bass so I could mimic an upright acoustic for a band number (using a 4 string bass), but I haven't got that to work well enough to use yet.
I am also interested in adding a hex pickup to a lap steel after seeing videos on line.
I am trying to cheaply mod a GK kit to accept a piezo input so I can pretend I've got a Godin but a lot cheaper as I am a nylon string guy at heart. The piezo matchstick pickups are 6 blocks of ceramic in a metal channel (earth) with a copper strip along the top (signal) in a heat shrink wrap. The compression makes the contacts to the ceramic. I should be able to split into 6 channels and connect to a GK circuit then see what happens!