PRIMOVA GX-2 GEAR SHIFTER - Hex Pre-Amp, 2x2 Switcher / Modulation Device

Started by CodeSmart, August 05, 2020, 02:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeSmart

Hi, sorry I've been pretty much absent from this great forum for a while. Half a year ago I decided to do a black-belt grading in October. Training/workout, regular day work, family and shipping Primovasound stuff (mostly GK cables and MIDX-20) eats up all my time. I hope things will calm down in November.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

vtgearhead

Quote from: CodeSmart on June 07, 2022, 02:38:46 PMHi, sorry I've been pretty much absent from this great forum for a while. Half a year ago I decided to do a black-belt grading in October. Training/workout, regular day work, family and shipping Primovasound stuff (mostly GK cables and MIDX-20) eats up all my time. I hope things will calm down in November.

Just happy to hear you are alive, well and constantly improving yourself :-).

CodeSmart

Spent the afternoon with my GX-2 with the new V2.0 firmware. Added all my seven guitar profiles (there's space for three more ::) ) into the GR-55 and SY-1000 and the GX-2. Even though I just can switch between two GK guitars at a time, now I have all of them profiles in there "forever". So for any upcoming event I just tell the GX-2 which guitar is 1 and 2 and it automatically knows the settings and what GK SET to switch to in both synth units (connected to the GX-2 with a couple of short MIDI cables).

I realize this is overkill for many, but it simplify things for a multiple guitar/multiple synth nerd like me.

CodeSmart

Heads up!
For you wanting a GX-2 (the best guitar switcher/synth switcher on the planet) and you feel the price is too high,
there will be a reduced price around 25 Nov (Black Friday).
E-mail with price will be sent out to my existing customers and also posted here.
Stay tuned ;)

Link:
https://primovasound.com/products/gx2/index.php/

Manual:
https://primovasound.com/pdf/GX2_Ref_ManualV2.pdf

/Robert

VGA-7

Aloha!
     I am a very happy owner of your GX-2. I am also awaiting your GKPX-14 to purchase. I decided to ask you here instead of email in case others have the same question. Can the GKPX-14 input be connected to a GK output on the GX-2,so all 4 units connected to GKPX-14
be effected by the GX-2 ?
Mahalo, Tone
Gibson L6S /gk2a , Bradley mini strat  /gk2a VGA-7 amp ,GR-33 , GP-10,SY1K, RMC breakout box, PK5 midi pedals,CM-64 sound module, Oberheim EDP  ,Boss RC-300,Digitech TRIO and TRIO +, Alesis DM5, GX2 Gear Shifter and GKPX-14

CodeSmart

Quote from: VGA-7 on November 06, 2022, 05:29:47 PMAloha!
     I am a very happy owner of your GX-2. I am also awaiting your GKPX-14 to purchase. I decided to ask you here instead of email in case others have the same question. Can the GKPX-14 input be connected to a GK output on the GX-2,so all 4 units connected to GKPX-14
be effected by the GX-2 ?
Mahalo, Tone

Aloha.
With a GX-2 in the chain you may have one or several GKPX-14 before or/and after the GX-2 in any configuration or mix you want.

(The GX-2 does not consume power from GK OUT A and B. The GX-2 IN 1 and 2 allow higher current draw than GK input of a Boss/Roland synth device)

A new batch of GKPX-14 is in production.
The GKPX-14F version contains an additional subsonic filter.

Nobulusprime

The GX2 is best thing to happen to GK pick up control ever!

Question though, for a Mac using, PC ignorant dummy (;D) !
Is there a relatively simple way to update the firmware using a Mac? 

CodeSmart

Quote from: Nobulusprime on November 10, 2022, 01:31:37 PMThe GX2 is best thing to happen to GK pick up control ever!

Question though, for a Mac using, PC ignorant dummy (;D) !
Is there a relatively simple way to update the firmware using a Mac? 

There's ways to run Windows on a Mac but I'm trying to get the code into GumTowns GearGrinder software when can.

CodeSmart

Between Monday November 21'st-28'th the web page price will drop from $458 USD to only $320 USD.
(the discount ratio will also apply to all other currencies used, EUR, CAD, AUD, GBP etc.)

How to do apply for a discounted unit?
1.   Visit https://primovasound.com/products/gx2/index.php
2.   Select your Region unless not set automatically by the web page (click the flag in the toolbar).
3.   Add a GX-2 to the Cart (other items like GK cables could also be added if you wish)
4.   Press the Cart icon and do the Checkout. When doing the Checkout you enter your name, e-mail and delivery address and an automated e-mail will be generated and sent to sound@primova.se
5.   As soon as possible your e-mail will be answered (first in, first out) and inform you on how to do the PayPal payment if still interested.
Notes:
-   The number of discounted units is limited to 30 pcs. If running out of units, the deal is off.
-   If payment has not arrived to PayPal one week from when receiving the manual reply-mail, the deal is off.
-   You may only by ONE unit at this price.
-   Shipping cost is added to the discounted price (world-wide shipping).

gumtown

The GX-2 Gear Shifter editor app "Gear Grinder" has had a Mac OS update to include the firmware updater,
the firmare 2.1 file is aso included in the download.

So you Mac OS users can now enjoy the updatig of your GX2 Gear Shifter firmware. !!

Download link here
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gear-grinder/files/GX-2%20Gear%20Shifter/
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

CodeSmart

I've just made a V2.2 on request from a customer.
He has Godin that strangely won't forward enough voltage onto the GKVOL (pin8) with the existing GKVOL impedance of the GX-2.
I have no problem with my own xtSA so it's weird. However added a new menu to be able to set a custom "Gain" to the input GKVOL signal.
Thought this could be beneficial if someone else experience the same problem in the future (or if someone wants to adjust GKVOL knob "touch and feel").

This will not affect using GumTown's new Gear-Grider 2.x software with the new support for firmware updates.

I hope you know he's got a new Mac Editor supporting the V2.x GX-2 and includes firmware update possibility.

I'll make this public soon when properly tested.

manicstarseed

Quote from: CodeSmart on December 07, 2022, 12:47:28 PMI've just made a V2.2 on request from a customer.
He has Godin that strangely won't forward enough voltage onto the GKVOL (pin8) with the existing GKVOL impedance of the GX-2.
I have no problem with my own xtSA so it's weird. However added a new menu to be able to set a custom "Gain" to the input GKVOL signal.
Thought this could be beneficial if someone else experience the same problem in the future (or if someone wants to adjust GKVOL knob "touch and feel").

This will not affect using GumTown's new Gear-Grider 2.x software with the new support for firmware updates.

I hope you know he's got a new Mac Editor supporting the V2.x GX-2 and includes firmware update possibility.

I'll make this public soon when properly tested.

Thank you so much for the assistance with the troubleshooting and firmware update. None of it makes sense, especially since the SY would read 100% volume on instrument 1. Thru the GX2 it would top out at 44. I think I will be posting the general question as a separate topic to see what the impressive brain trust of this forum can offer.

CodeSmart

There will be a new firmware. Thanks to Chrissie C. I managed to stabilize the MIDI Clock through the pedal. Also I'm going to lower the GX-2 price because there's been a lot of currency changes since the time I built the batch. However right now I'm having problem logging onto my web page. If you feel you want the pedal, hit my at sound@primova.se and I'll give you a much better price than on the web page.

fokof

Hey !

One nice thing would be to add a "Mute everything" , programable via MIDI CC ( Or CTL )

CodeSmart

Quote from: fokof on May 03, 2023, 10:04:47 PMHey !

One nice thing would be to add a "Mute everything" , programable via MIDI CC ( Or CTL )

Thanks I'll keep it in mind ;)

Yadrichik Chaya

I'll be on board the GX-2F user group next week!  :D
Many many thanks to @CodeSmart for making this device that will open up so many new possibilities!  :)

Downloading @gumtown 's software, oh I also got a GP-10 recently... This will be such a great summer!  8)

CodeSmart

Please find a French user manual (many thanks to Hervé Rivalland in France) for the upcoming V2.4 Firmware
https://primovasound.com/pdf/GX2_Ref_ManualV24_fr.pdf

The pending V2.4 upgrade will be published soon or when we have a new Gear-Grinder V2.4 available (GumTown...)
- V2.4 has a much more stabile BPM CLOCK rate (both when external or internal).
- V2.4 has the ability to make a specific guitar select when a patch is selected (requested by fokof)

8)

CodeSmart

Firmware V2.4 released today
Gear-Grinder (MacOS/Windows) 2.4 is still pending.
(GumTown is almost done. Looks great, soon ready)

V2.4 2023-08-03
New: A Patch may select a dedicated guitar input (thx Fokof)
Imp: External BPM rate stabile (thx Chrissie)
Imp: Internal BPM rate stabile using timed interrupts.

https://primovasound.com/products/gx2/index.php/

Windows PC GX-2 Assistant (firmware updater)
https://primovasound.com/firmware/GX-2%20SetupV2.4.zip

V2.4 Manual(ENG)
https://primovasound.com/pdf/GX2_Ref_ManualV24.pdf
V2.4 Manual(FR)
https://primovasound.com/pdf/GX2_Ref_ManualV24_fr.pdf

fokof

Thanx

Really nice product you created there.

The "noise gate" mode helps me a lot with the OSC problems I have with the SY1000

CodeSmart

Nobulusprime

Quote from: fokof on August 03, 2023, 04:59:20 PMThanx

Really nice product you created there.

The "noise gate" mode helps me a lot with the OSC problems I have with the SY1000

Where is the noise gate function? It this the gk trigger level?

fokof

Quote from: Nobulusprime on August 12, 2023, 09:37:58 AMWhere is the noise gate function? It this the gk trigger level?

WORKS FOR ME :
- ENV1 - ON
-depth - 100
-att time - 0.010
-att vol - 100
-dec time - OFF
-sus time - OFF
-rel time - OFF
-mute det - ON
-mute time - 0.250

Nobulusprime

Quote from: fokof on August 12, 2023, 05:37:40 PMWORKS FOR ME :
- ENV1 - ON
-depth - 100
-att time - 0.010
-att vol - 100
-dec time - OFF
-sus time - OFF
-rel time - OFF
-mute det - ON
-mute time - 0.250

Thanks for this, apologies for being a bit slow... are you saying you need ENV1 rather than the GK mute on the input? as per images

fokof

Screen shot