Boss SY-300 firmware update wish list

Started by Brak(E)man, May 08, 2018, 09:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurttttt

Doubling the number of FX is my top wish, 4 FX in total is too limited.

akahige

Well, didn't look out for informations since a while but anyone has onfo, will they focus on SY-1000 (and SY-1) and abandon the SY-300 ?

Which will make very unhappy late (and also early) SY-300 buyers.

chrish

Quote from: akahige on January 20, 2020, 12:39:41 AM
Well, didn't look out for informations since a while but anyone has onfo, will they focus on SY-1000 (and SY-1) and abandon the SY-300 ?

Which will make very unhappy late (and also early) SY-300 buyers.
I sold both of the SY300's because now I have to sell gear in order to buy gear.

I'll focus on the SY1000 because I'm into hex pickups. However, a lot of guitar players are not into putting hex pup on so they may still desire the SY300..

akahige

Well, is the SY-300 is abandoned by Boss ?

Don't you think that considering his price range it would be the very least to have an update that include the SY-1 and SY-200 sounds ?

It feels a bit like a waste, the SY-300 is a great unit but more updates with more sounds and improved features would more than appreciated, it's like boss develop some hardware but when it's available, the updates are quasi inexistant. Very sad :-[

gumtown

At this stage, I think the SY-300 is done by Boss,
I wish they would fix the irritating distortion which is inherent in the synth tone, the other SY units in the product range don't have this.
The distortion is not obvious immediately, but after you work with the unit for a while, t=you hear it, and can't "un-hear it" after that, like a cross-over distortion in a badly designed amp. 
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: akahige on November 28, 2022, 09:51:15 AMWell, is the SY-300 is abandoned by Boss ?

Don't you think that considering his price range it would be the very least to have an update that include the SY-1 and SY-200 sounds ?

It feels a bit like a waste, the SY-300 is a great unit but more updates with more sounds and improved features would more than appreciated, it's like boss develop some hardware but when it's available, the updates are quasi inexistant. Very sad :-[

I dont think Boss does anything after a number of years.
No Mfj can.
The SY-300 is amazing, and NOBODY has come close to scratching the surface of what it can do.
So lots of life left there!
I love the way it sounds and plays.
It is more misunderstood than the VG-99.

chrish

Quote from: gumtown on November 28, 2022, 10:08:18 AMAt this stage, I think the SY-300 is done by Boss,
I wish they would fix the irritating distortion which is inherent in the synth tone, the other SY units in the product range don't have this.
The distortion is not obvious immediately, but after you work with the unit for a while, t=you hear it, and can't "un-hear it" after that, like a cross-over distortion in a badly designed amp. 
totally agree. Sounds like nails on a chalkboard and can't unhear it once it fatigues a good pair of ears.

As far as upgrades, the SY1000, with its multiple firmware updates, was the upgrade to the SY300. No nails on a chalkboard fx with the SY1000, although a few people had problems with it, hence the series of firmware updates.

Highly recommend anyone considering the SY300 to skip it and get the Sy 1000 instead. 1/4" input for this kind of Technology still doesn't work well. Hex rules.

Bill Ruppert

HAHAHAH Some how I knew you would jump in.
The most important thing is to make music with what you have.
All these are great tools and not a fan club.

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: akahige on November 28, 2022, 09:51:15 AMWell, is the SY-300 is abandoned by Boss ?

All the sounds that are in the SY-1 and SY-200 are in the SY-300. You just need to program them.

chrish

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on November 28, 2022, 02:16:02 PMHAHAHAH Some how I knew you would jump in.
The most important thing is to make music with what you have.
All these are great tools and not a fan club.
well Bill you keep acting like its user error or the musician doesn't have enough skill  to get the SY300 to sound good. That somehow the Sy300 is misunderstood by us lesser mortals.

Obviously that's not the case if a person doesn't have  sound quality issues with the SY1000 using a hex pup.

We all know you are very skilled and can make most anything sound good however we all perceive sound differently. And I can't discount your bias for 1/4" input devices because of your affiliation and design input into those quarter inch input electro-harmonix pedals. But perhaps it's more your talant then the actual pedal that sounds good.

You know what they say; tone is in the fingers.

Peace out

Bill Ruppert

Chris
The SY-300 was the baby that was thrown out with the bath water.
Very few ever took the time to program it and work with it.
Case in point, Almost no one knows the amp sounds in the 300 and near identical to the SY-1000.
It's not that no one could "do it", it is that no one ever tried.
People now give up so fast and move on.

If the 13 pin works best for you, and you like the sound, GREAT!
I'm with you.
But there is room and use for all this stuff.
It's all good. The more, the merrier.
If you can make music with it, great.

As far as 1/4 in goes, I was a 13 pin user long before this board was even here.
I was a 13 pin power user when few were. Arp days..
AND I don't get royalties from EHX for units sold.
I love the feel and sound of the mag pickups, and it's the way I go right now.
It is more effect based, and it is always more welcome to producers in the studio who are looking for different sounds they can't get.
I am thrilled it can be done now. It's a miracle, compared to when I started playing.
Long live the SY-300 and the SY-1000

akahige

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on November 28, 2022, 02:20:29 PMAll the sounds that are in the SY-1 and SY-200 are in the SY-300. You just need to program them.

Well clearly I know I'm not good enough at programming it for the moment, I tried (and will try more) but I have difficulties to understand how it works and finally ends up with similar kind of sound (a shame considering that the SY300 is a deep machine) often far from what was my goal.

I still think that more updates with new sounds and new features would make it very more attractive considering the "reborn" of 80s and synth sounds.

Also if the SY300 community was way more big with a good number of geeks that understanding well and mastering the machine that could share a lot of sounds (there are just too few now) it would attenuate the upgrade problem for people like me.

Is there another place where people sharing sounds ? (for exemple the SY1 and SY200 sounds and more) ?

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: akahige on November 29, 2022, 01:28:53 AMWell clearly I know I'm not good enough at programming it for the moment, I tried (and will try more) but I have difficulties to understand how it works and finally ends up with similar kind of sound (a shame considering that the SY300 is a deep machine) often far from what was my goal.

I still think that more updates with new sounds and new features would make it very more attractive considering the "reborn" of 80s and synth sounds.

Also if the SY300 community was way more big with a good number of geeks that understanding well and mastering the machine that could share a lot of sounds (there are just too few now) it would attenuate the upgrade problem for people like me.

Is there another place where people sharing sounds ? (for exemple the SY1 and SY200 sounds and more) ?

Akahige Im sorry my comment was to say it is possible to GET the SY-1/SY-200 sounds as no extra algorithms were needed firmware wise.
But yes it would be a lot of work to duplicate all the sounds.

Kevin M

I think with more complex synths like the SY-300, the more we fall back to relying on great factory presets. Unfortunately, the factory presets on the 300 are underwhelming.  It is capable of some really nice sounds, though, if you dive into it.

admin

Quote from: akahige on November 29, 2022, 01:28:53 AMWell clearly I know I'm not good enough at programming it for the moment, I tried (and will try more) but I have difficulties to understand how it works and finally ends up with similar kind of sound (a shame considering that the SY300 is a deep machine) often far from what was my goal.

Is there another place where people sharing sounds ?

https://m.facebook.com/groups/567390936761747/

BROCKSTAR

The SY-300 is amazing. So amazing I'm on my 4th one haha. I agree that people are lazy and don't give it the chance that it needs and to work with it. Heck the blender option is amazing and can help spark your creativity. I love using it and then fine tweaking things.

The sy-1 and sy-200 can't even come close to what the sy-300 is capable of. The sy-1000 has the same engine in it too when being used with the 1/4th plug-in.

I think boss realized they dropped the ball on the sy-300 and seen a way to make up for it by rehashing it in different versions for more sales. You won't believe how many people out there that has the sy-1 or sy-200 and think it's something new and have no clue that it came from the sy-300 seven years ago!

As for updating it, it's done, which is one reason why they put out the rehashed versions and it fooled many.

All we can do is wait for a SY-300 part 2 with more oscillators and other things for those that don't do gk pickups.

Also don't go into sy-300 thinking it's going to replace something. Let it be something different and unique and you won't be let down! To me it's a big ambient machine!

I would love to start making a 3rd preset pack for it, but boss needs to get their butt going and get a driver fix for windows 11 already, im tired of waiting!

Listen to some fine examples in the ambient / experimental area that this machine can do!
P:S: I'm not doing a shameless promotion, just relaying that it can do great stuff!

aliensporebomb

Cool demos on the SY-300.  I like sounds where you can't tell what is making it and you did some of those quite well.  If I were working on more film scoring (still could happen) I'd have to have one.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

mchad

Just sold mine. That was my second one.

I did like some of the tones I got from it. Loved the Blender function.

Some tones reminded me of Mario Karts. Others were just plain irritating. Until you whacked an effect on them. Now we're talkin'.

Fractal FM9 on the way. Yep I know, it won't do synthy tones to the degree of the SY family, but I'm sure it will be a tool, to wit a cabinet of tools, by which one's creativity might be ignited.

Meanwhile I hope Boss continue the 1/4 inch synth development journey and I will be watching with interest.

EauDeCologne

the Sy-1 & Sy-200 are downsized versions of the Sy-300, it's the same synth engine under the hood if you will which is good enough if you wanna plug & play away. the real scandal is that that's pretty much also true for the sy-1000 (give or take the gr-20 functionality, DS my a**). at least some of the FX routing & amping have been improved though.
my hypothesis is that boss/roland are only gonna put more work into the SY-series if a (even slightly) famous guitar player is seen using this thing or some new artist comes up while employing guitar synthesis via SY so as to increase demand for that kind of hardware.

my wishlist for future FW-updates to boss: 1) make the oscillators sound less fizzy & casio-like. give them some analogue-style warmth instead. now that would instantly upgrade the sonics of most presets. 2) fix the sequencer trigger mechanics as well as the seq's editing outline, not being able to insert pause/empty steps is infuriating. 3) some more ADSR-automation control would be great.

akahige

+1

I was really hoping that, at some point, Boss would change their habits and give us more updates, the SY 300 could (should) be way more than it actually is, i'm sure it has the pontetial to be improve a lot but sadly the Boss company are not very fond of updates, they just launch something and rapidly let it and launch another model...

Feel a little bitter about it but it is what it is.