Any Moog Guitar players here?

Started by Snow Black, July 07, 2022, 02:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snow Black

It's been over 10 years since anyone posted here so I wondered if anyone is still using it? I've just acquired a Paul Vo Collectors Edition and love it! I've been slightly obsessed with guitar sustainers for quite a while, using both the Fernandes sustainer and the eBow, in particular, quite extensively so this guitar has to be the ultimate sustainer! The missing component for me is having a 13-pin output to expand the guitar's tone palette. I plan to add this to my guitar, as Moog did with the later E1-M model, but think I may use the CycFi breakout board and 19-pin cable rather than the GrapTech Hexpander with the their piezo saddles. Should be a little easier to install and require less woodworking.

Currently I'm using Jam Origin's MIDI Guitar 2 plug-n (both on iOS and desktop) to create additional sounds - I play ambient-style guitar so this approach works well for me but being able to interface to my VG-99 to SY-1000 would be amazing!

If anyone here has any experience with this guitar I'd love to compare notes.
Moog Guitar Paul Vo Collectors Edition, Fernandes with sustainer & GK3, Fender Strat with sustainer & GK3, Brian Moore i9-13, Variax transplant & Firehawk FX, Fretless guitar with ATG luthier kit, SY-1000, GP-10, SY-300, VG-99, FC-300, GR-55, VG-8ex, US-20, GX-2, Roland Street Cube EX, Tech 21 PE

admin

Quote from: Snow Black on July 07, 2022, 02:15:22 PMIt's been over 10 years since anyone posted here so I wondered if anyone is still using it? I've just acquired a Paul Vo Collectors Edition and love it! I've been slightly obsessed with guitar sustainers for quite a while, using both the Fernandes sustainer and the eBow, in particular, quite extensively so this guitar has to be the ultimate sustainer! The missing component for me is having a 13-pin output to expand the guitar's tone palette. I plan to add this to my guitar, as Moog did with the later E1-M model, but think I may use the CycFi breakout board and 19-pin cable rather than the GrapTech Hexpander with the their piezo saddles. Should be a little easier to install and require less woodworking.

Currently I'm using Jam Origin's MIDI Guitar 2 plug-n (both on iOS and desktop) to create additional sounds - I play ambient-style guitar so this approach works well for me but being able to interface to my VG-99 to SY-1000 would be amazing!

If anyone here has any experience with this guitar I'd love to compare notes.

Due to extreme eddy current magnetic flux fields generated by the Paul Vo Moog E1-M system transducers, the only GK13 pin upgrade will be a Piezo based system.

Others have tried ( and failed) attempting to add magnetic based pickups to this guitar. Nothing but noise and poor performance were the results.

Best piezo PU GK system is RMC Polydrive.

review other Paul Vo Moog E1-M  owners experience on these threads

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=427.0

chrish

Congrats on your acquisition.I'd like to own  a moog guitar (who doesn't) but too pricy now and appears to have very complex Electronics under the hood.

While I don't own a moog guitar, I do trigger a moog matriarch, voyager, slim phatty and mother 32 with a Wilcox Atlantis hex fx guitar or Roland G505 and 1990's Roland GR50 for pitch to midi. Highly recommend the moog matriarch. I find 4 voices sufficient but I do have the option of adding those other synths for 6 voice poly.

The G505 has two hex pups on it; a 24 pin and a 13 pin out, and the Wilcox  uses a hex optical pick up for 13pin out.

Now I'll head over to the used online shops to see if I can find a moog guitar to dream about. :)

Matteo Barducci

I had a Paul Vo C.E. in the past.

Very heavy guitar and despite a flawless craftsmanship not so versatile and definitely a "meh"...

I prefer a GK-equipped gtr driving a SY-1000 for sure!
--

---> Matteo Barducci

thebrushwithin

My Moog E 1m is my #1, piezo based for synth as was pointed out, and I adore it!!! Synth patches, when sustained are really different and wonderful. I'm totally spoiled by any sustainer system, and the Moog is king for me, with the Sustainiac not far behind.

Snow Black

Quote from: thebrushwithin on July 10, 2022, 05:15:05 AMMy Moog E 1m is my #1, piezo based for synth as was pointed out, and I adore it!!! Synth patches, when sustained are really different and wonderful. I'm totally spoiled by any sustainer system, and the Moog is king for me, with the Sustainiac not far behind.
Glad to hear that! I was in the process of installing a sustainiac into a Godin guitar with a CycFi hex pickup but that seems pointless now as the Moog guitar is in a different class for sustain (I also have a Fernandes sustainer with a GK internal pickup). I'm totally convinced that I need to add a hex output, preferably using the CycFi breakout board, but I'm a bit scared of messing with the internals of the most expensive guitar I've ever bought!
Moog Guitar Paul Vo Collectors Edition, Fernandes with sustainer & GK3, Fender Strat with sustainer & GK3, Brian Moore i9-13, Variax transplant & Firehawk FX, Fretless guitar with ATG luthier kit, SY-1000, GP-10, SY-300, VG-99, FC-300, GR-55, VG-8ex, US-20, GX-2, Roland Street Cube EX, Tech 21 PE

thebrushwithin

Quotebut I'm a bit scared of messing with the internals of the most expensive guitar I've ever bought!

Totally understand that!!! I don't know where to send mine, if anything goes wrong, other back to MOOG, which is super expensive. My 13 pin connection on it could use a replacement, as it doesn't lock well anymore, and I definitely worry about the power supply pedal failing at some point. Since I rack my Kemper, VG88, and my GR30, I velcroed the pedal to a small shelf in the back of the rack, to keep from moving it too much. Also agree about the MOOG being the best, as I have two Fernandes sustainer guitars, and another Sustainiac.

chrish

Quote from: thebrushwithin on July 11, 2022, 06:34:31 AMTotally understand that!!! I don't know where to send mine, if anything goes wrong, other back to MOOG, which is super expensive. My 13 pin connection on it could use a replacement, as it doesn't lock well anymore, and I definitely worry about the power supply pedal failing at some point. Since I rack my Kemper, VG88, and my GR30, I velcroed the pedal to a small shelf in the back of the rack, to keep from moving it too much. Also agree about the MOOG being the best, as I have two Fernandes sustainer guitars, and another Sustainiac.
After reading the op I went to reverb.com to see what was there. I read an ad for an E1 for sale and the guy says that pedal may be available from Paul Vo. Perhaps he does repairs also?

"After a lot of research I ended up talking with Moog and then to Paul Vu himself and he has helped somewhat. He can sell the foot pedal for $100 and the power supply is easy to access but unfortunately the cable is not."

https://reverb.com/item/56335233-moog-e-1-guitar-designed-by-paul-vu

Snow Black

I think that E1 on Reverb is way overpriced considering the pedal and cable are missing so there's no way of telling if the sustainer part actually works! In comparison my Paul Vo Collectors Edition cost me €3,500 in Italy and it's a much nicer guitar than the E1. There are a couple of E1Ms on eBay for just over $5,000, both in Japan (and curiously showing exactly the same photos but different sellers - maybe stock photos?). Factoring in import charges (in Europe) adds another 25% so I think I got a bargain! Paul Vo is very helpful but would charge consultancy rates if he was willing or able to do repairs (and he thinks Moog no longer have any expertise or resources to do so - I emailed their support 2 weeks ago to ask about 13-pin conversion details and so far have had no response).

I don't know if I'll die first or the guitar but I intend to make the most of it while we're both still around!

chrish

My understanding is that those guitars are the same guitar. One shows up locally advertised in Japan and other "brokers" list it here.. If they sell it here than they buy it and resell it.

Yes I agree, that one on reverb without the cable and pedal is  over priced. The owner was never able to test it.

gumbo

Quote from: chrish on July 11, 2022, 08:41:51 PMMy understanding is that those guitars are the same guitar. One shows up locally advertised in Japan and other "brokers" list it here.. If they sell it here than they buy it and resell it.

That happens a lot...we see it ALL THE TIME with listings from Japan on Australian eBay... ;)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

thebrushwithin

My plan is to "retire mine from live gigs, and keep it's uniqueness healthy for the studio, in order to avoid facing major repair issues. I bought one as soon as they were available, new for $3000. Until the Covid disruption, I used it live for 25 - 40 hrs a week at gigs, and other than having to have it set up properly, as the factory setup was poor, and the aforementioned 13 pin locking problem, I really haven't had any complaints.
When I get my Godin LGXT, with Sustainiac, back in good working order, it will be my gig #1.

p8guitar

The Moog Guitar Strings are not available anymore, as far as I know. How do you deal with that, is there a tried and tested alternative?
I think about selling my Moog Guitar because I only play my Variax now. But I don't want the buyer to be left with a serious problem when he needs new strings...  :-\

aliensporebomb

Wait - the moog guitar needed special strings?  Won't it work with any decent brand of guitar string such as Ernie Ball or D'Addario?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

admin

Not as well

The official strings exhibit increased response to the magnetic flux fields unique to the Paul Vo designed Moog Guitar.
Id contact Paul Vo for his thoughts
https://voinventions.com/

https://voinventions.com/suitable-strings/

He recommends Daddario Pro Steels for Moog E3 Guitar
These are Stainless Steel strings
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EPS510--daddario-eps510-electric-guitar-strings-010-052-regular-light