GR-55 - AMP-MOD signal path ?

Started by vguitarforums, February 23, 2011, 04:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vguitarforums

It's not clear for me if AMP-MOD order is dynamic or not depending on MOD type?
For example, I would expect MOD/(OD/DS) to be before the AMP, and MOD/DELAY to be after the AMP module.

Any info somewhere ?

Elantric

Most actual GR-55 owners believe when the Distortion or Wah is enabled, it sounds like these get placed  before the Amp Block - which contradicts what the GR-55 owners manual states.

SLICK

I can definitely say that the MOD Block will dynamically adjust depending on what effect you choose. (either that or its very cleaver EQing)
Think of the two as being one block where you can turn on any one effect and and amp model at a time.
Wah and OD/Dst are placed before the AMP block.
Thinking of this we should make an effort to try and list all of the effects are placed in front of the AMP Block...
Mmm looks like I got homework for this weekend ;)
Parker fly deluxe,
Roland GR-55,
Laney LC30II

ddlooping

The dynamic positioning of the MOD block is very handy but a "pre/post" option would have been even better. :)
Has anybody tested whether the compressor is placed before or after the AMP?
I'd personally want it after.
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

sixeight

QuoteMost actual GR-55 owners believe its dynamic. i.e. When the Distortion or Wah is enabled, it sounds like these get dynamically placed  before the Amp Block

I don't own the GR-55, but it should be easy to check this out. Set the distortion to a light setting, raise up the gain on the amp. Then change the level of the distortion. If it sounds like the gain on the amp is changed, it will definately be before the amp.

vguitarforums

Quote from: ddlooping on February 25, 2011, 09:05:31 AM
The dynamic positioning of the MOD block is very handy but a "pre/post" option would have been even better. :)
Has anybody tested whether the compressor is placed before or after the AMP?
I'd personally want it after.

I agree with ddlooping, I would like to select the compressor before or after the AMP.

OliverA

Is there any update on this?
I'm wanting to use the exp pedal for volume swells to try out ambient guitar sounds.
If I set exp to patch volume then it completely switches off the sound.
I can't see how to reorder the effects list and so have tried to workaround it by assigning the exp pedal to the pickup volume with limited success!
I've also hit a stumbling block in that when I assign the exp pedal on one patch under the master settings, it seems to affect how it behaves on other patches!
Any help would be welcome

gumtown

No update on the GR-55 firmware, it is still the same as it was 12 years ago.

Try Assigning the EXP pedal the "Preamp Level" which does the preamp output.
Delays and reverb after that will still slowly fade away.

Otherwise in the Pedal Function area, set the EXP pedal to "Tone Volume"  and select the 4 x Tone Sources to have the EXP pedal control.

If you want global control, then in the System area under Pedal Function is the same "EXP pedal Function" setting, which you can select "Tone Volume" and then select the tone sources to control (PCM1, PCM2, Modelled, Normal PU)

The effect order is fixed, except for the "Structure 1 and Structure2" setting which moves the MOD effect to before or after the MFX unit.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

sixeight

Quote from: sixeight on February 25, 2011, 10:47:21 AMI don't own the GR-55, but it should be easy to check this out. Set the distortion to a light setting, raise up the gain on the amp. Then change the level of the distortion. If it sounds like the gain on the amp is changed, it will definately be before the amp.

I actually did do this test once I had the GR55:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10809.0

The position of the MOD block is dependent on the selected Mod type!