Tripleplay won't sustain long before cutting out

Started by swasyliw82, June 05, 2017, 02:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steadystate

Quote from: Smash on November 28, 2017, 12:55:20 AM
A lot of people really rate MG2 on Mac/PC - wondering why you're wanting to use FTP over that?

Because the latency on MG2 is noticeably greater than the FTP.  And MG2 gets confused with certain polyphonic intervals.  Plus, some virtual instruments are designed for separate midi channels on each string.  For instance, there is a nylon guitar library that plays samples of the correct string at the correct fret, rather than playing, for example, an open A on the fifth string when you are actually playing the 6th string at the fifth fret.  Or, you may want to assign different instruments to different strings, or even different zones on different strings.  The FTP is far more flexible and significantly faster.  I just can't get the damn thing to sustain...which makes it basically worthless.

admin

Quote from: steadystate on November 29, 2017, 12:51:06 PM
Because the latency on MG2 is noticeably greater than the FTP.  And MG2 gets confused with certain polyphonic intervals.  Plus, some virtual instruments are designed for separate midi channels on each string.  For instance, there is a nylon guitar library that plays samples of the correct string at the correct fret, rather than playing, for example, an open A on the fifth string when you are actually playing the 6th string at the fifth fret.  Or, you may want to assign different instruments to different strings, or even different zones on different strings.  The FTP is far more flexible and significantly faster.  I just can't get the damn thing to sustain...which makes it basically worthless.

Which is unique - as my FTP sustains quite well - but I'm on older firmware

James O_Donnell

I am a new user as well. I freshly installed everything today. When I used the standalone TriplePlay app, the MIDI routing is done correctly and the playback is perfect. When I run the plug-in within FL Studio, all of the notes trunk down to the 6th string, brief sustain, then cutout. My problem was a single MIDI channel in setting. I had set the MIDI channel within FL Studio project settings, but I failed to check the plug-in settings. Within the TriplePlay plug-in wrapper, a settings dialog asked for the MIDI channel, I had not set this, it was set at '___' (blank) and needed to match the original MIDI channel selected. This took me days to figure out. Please compare results with the stand alone TriplePlay app, and the results within your DAW. mine were different. For example, patch 44 Backing Acoustic, if you open the SampleTank plug-in, should be ringing all 6 MIDI instruments. I believe you're ringing only one.

steadystate

Quote from: James O_Donnell on November 30, 2017, 03:20:27 PM
I am a new user as well. I freshly installed everything today. When I used the standalone TriplePlay app, the MIDI routing is done correctly and the playback is perfect. When I run the plug-in within FL Studio, all of the notes trunk down to the 6th string, brief sustain, then cutout. My problem was a single MIDI channel in setting. I had set the MIDI channel within FL Studio project settings, but I failed to check the plug-in settings. Within the TriplePlay plug-in wrapper, a settings dialog asked for the MIDI channel, I had not set this, it was set at '___' (blank) and needed to match the original MIDI channel selected. This took me days to figure out. Please compare results with the stand alone TriplePlay app, and the results within your DAW. mine were different. For example, patch 44 Backing Acoustic, if you open the SampleTank plug-in, should be ringing all 6 MIDI instruments. I believe you're ringing only one.
This isn't my problem.  My problem is that the Triple Play is sending out a note off command about three to four seconds after its associated note on command.  Standalone/plugin and mono/poly make no difference.

Elantric

Quote from: steadystate on December 01, 2017, 08:33:18 AM
This isn't my problem.  My problem is that the Triple Play is sending out a note off command about three to four seconds after its associated note on command.  Standalone/plugin and mono/poly make no difference.

Then you must have a problem , try changing your brand of strings - or temporarily remove any competing source of magnetic flux ( bridge PU?) which may be interfering with the Fishman Tripleplay  Mag hex PU sensitivity and proper operation

steadystate

Quote from: Elantric on December 01, 2017, 08:42:01 AM
Then you must have a problem , try changing your brand of strings - or temporarily remove any competing source of magnetic flux ( bridge PU?) which may be interfering with the Fishman Tripleplay  Mag hex PU sensitivity and proper operation
I'm in the process of removing my pickups as I type this (though they are PAF style with little pull).  I've tried stainless steel strings.  Everything else is set up optimally, both software and hardware.  I even tried using a Roland GK-3 with the FTP wart.  So far, no luck.  I'm trying to remove as many variables as possible.  I'm even going to try it in a different location across town.

I reverse mounted the hex pickup, but I also reversed the order of the cables from each pickup before the transmitter, so the high pass filters or other conditioners (if they exist) are still associated with the correct strings.

May I ask how many seconds of sustain others are experiencing, say on the 1st string?

Elantric

Quote from: steadystate on December 01, 2017, 09:26:51 AM
I'm in the process of removing my pickups as I type this (though they are PAF style with little pull).  I've tried stainless steel strings.  Everything else is set up optimally, both software and hardware.  I even tried using a Roland GK-3 with the FTP wart.  So far, no luck.  I'm trying to remove as many variables as possible.  I'm even going to try it in a different location across town.

I reverse mounted the hex pickup, but I also reversed the order of the cables from each pickup before the transmitter, so the high pass filters or other conditioners (if they exist) are still associated with the correct strings.

May I ask how many seconds of sustain others are experiencing, say on the 1st string?

I attended the release party for the Tripleplay East West sample libraries  -I saw her play long sustained notes 

check if Jennifer Batten plays notes longer than 3 seconds 

Or Burr Johnson

or Dominik Hardy

James O_Donnell

Mine rings out for long durations, sometimes over 10 seconds.

If you open the SampleTank from within TriplePlay (double clicking) it will open in a separate window and show 6 active generators. If you strum do all 6 show activity?

steadystate

Quote from: James O_Donnell on December 01, 2017, 01:55:22 PM
Mine rings out for long durations, sometimes over 10 seconds.

If you open the SampleTank from within TriplePlay (double clicking) it will open in a separate window and show 6 active generators. If you strum do all 6 show activity?
All show activity.  But the FTP will send note off commands (verified with the midi monitor in MIDIOX) about four seconds after.  Note triggering isn't a problem.  Premature note off messages are the problem.  But thanks for letting me know your sustain period.  Ten seconds would be great.

James O_Donnell

Anything to help. I think by now Fishman Customer Service may have reached out to you, they were quick to respond and offer one on one support for me. I wish I could help more. This short sustain issue plagued me for a few days, and I reinstalled the suite again, following instructions more precisely. One of their help videos for config is where I learned my mistake, specific to DAW integration. This is my 2nd day, Incredible things like I've never heard coming out of the speakers.