Guitar Bridge String-to-String Spacing Reference

Started by Elantric, May 17, 2013, 09:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

https://www.callahamguitars.com/tech_compatibility_strat.htm

Many folks mounting magnetic Hex Pickups for the first time wonder why their new Mag Hex pickups's  magnetic Pole pieces do not align directly under the strings.   (Roland GK-2A, GK-3, Yamaha G1D, Axon AIX-100, PU-100, Fishman Tripleplay, etc)

This is due to the various different String Spacing (aka String Spread) dimensions used on different brands of guitars.

Below is a handy String Spacing reference guide to know which Magnetic hex bridge works best for your guitar type.

Guitar "E" to "e" String Spacing at Bridge (Narrow  to Wide)

Rickenbacker = 1.98 inches (50.29mm)

Import Gibson Tune-O-Matic Bridge  = 2.046 inch (52mm).

Gibson Tune-O-Matic = 2.0625 inch (52.45mm)

Fender Import Strat  = 2.0625 inch (52.45mm)

Floyd Rose  =  2.070 inch (52.58mm)

Fender Jaguar / Jazzmaster / Mustang = 2.1875 inch (55.56mm)

Fender USA Strat  = 2.21875 inch (56.35625mm)

Observe there can be nearly a 1/4 inch difference between the center of High E string to the center of low E string at the bridge from guitar to guitar.

The manufacturers of mag hex pickups try to compromise, and create a "one size fits all" pickup - but the reality is one make/model mag hex pickup may be better suited for a particular guitar than another.

Mag Hex Pickup Guitar String Spacing at Bridge (Narrow  to Wide)

Yamaha G1D/Axon AIX-100/PU-100 (narrow string spacing suitable for Rickenbackers, Gibsons )

Fishman Tripleplay

Roland GK-2A/GK-3 - (widest string spacing suitable for Fenders)

Callaham / ToneShapers -
http://pdf.toneshapers.com/ToneShapers-General-Callaham-Strat-Bridge-Spacing.pdf

More here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=41

https://www.callahamguitars.com/tech_compatibility_strat.htm

Mrchevy

In reference to the GK3 on a Les Paul Tune-o-matic bridge, I was considering the possibility of purchasing a new bridge ($50 to $80 US) with un-notched saddles, and adjusting the spacing on them to fit the GK3 pickup spacing. It is only off a smidgen and looks to still be adequate given the fret board width. Not sure though that the spacing over the pickups is as much an issue as the radius. Thoughts ?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Elantric

QuoteIn reference to the GK3 on a Les Paul Tune-o-matic bridge, I was considering the possibility of purchasing a new bridge ($50 to $80 US) with un-notched saddles, and adjusting the spacing on them to fit the GK3 pickup spacing. It is only off a smidgen and looks to still be adequate given the fret board width. Not sure though that the spacing over the pickups is as much an issue as the radius. Thoughts ?

Every guitar has a unique geometry of crucial dimensions - besides the basics like intonation and string height at Nut and 21st fret.
Things like  Nut Width, Bridge Width, Fretboard Width, scale length, Fretboard Radius -   all work together to play a role in how a specific  guitar actually plays 

The problem is on a Gibson if you re-notch the bridge saddles to widen things up so the strings sit directly over the GK-3 pole pieces , on most Gibsons you will discover both E strings will now sit closer to the edge of the fret board, and this impacts the basic playability of the guitar. You may discover after making the bridge mod, both high E and low E strings will  tend to fall off the edge of the fingerboard in the upper fret areas, when playing hammer ons or tapping techniques.

You do not want the pain of creating an unplayable guitar.

For example, here is a typical example of measurements comparison of String to String width at Bridge vs Nut 

In my opinion the JTV-69 has really odd geometry. With the wide E-E spacing of 2.1055 inch at the bridge, this leaves only 0.116 inch between the string and the edge of the fretboard at the 12th fret.
When playing, the JTV-69 has a tendency to have the E strings fall right off the edge of the fretboard, making basic hammer on riffs nearly impossible because the string to string spacing at the Bridge is too wide, for the Neck IMHO.

Compare the dimensions to the Jay Turser Strat - which is actually a great playing guitar with ideal geometry with more available fret under the string  - .15875 inch between the string and the edge of the fretboard at the 12th fret.

Another issue is muscle memory - if you are like me and grew up playing fast cross picking riffs on a stock Les Paul / SG, - then a guitar with a wider E-E spaced bridge that is up to 0.1 inch wider than the Gibson can impact your technique and leave you a few missed notes at the gig if you don't adapt your playing style to the wider bridge.

Mrchevy

As far as the E and E string being close to the edge of the fret board, I agree with the possible issues. On my Schecter C-1, I made a new nut for it to specifically widen the spacing for my fat fingers and there was plenty of room to work with as the factory spacing was actually quite far from the edges of the fret board. It is now a very comfortable guitar to play ( for me ). I find my style of playing and fingering lends itself to strings being somewhat close to the edge but have experienced this issue on other guitars. Careful consideration is a must for the reason you mentioned. Do you know if the string being directly centered or slightly offset ( not centered, but still over the pickups ), has a significant effect on the tracking or is the spacing "close enough" to not really make a difference. 
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Elantric

Its not a perfect world, and once you understand all the different E-E string spacings that exist on popular guitars, you can begin to understand Roland's challenge to deliver a "one size fits all" hex magnetic pickup

Essentially if your string is near the pole piece its good enough, and you can adjust the string sensitivity on VG-99/GR-55 by boosting those strings which are not centered directly over the mag pickup pole pieces (aka "Yokes")

This thread covers more of this

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5605.0

and the similar Yamaha G1D install guide covers the same physics of the Roland GK-3

Pay attention to the string centering over the pickup yoke detail above.
"OK" vs "NG" (No Good)

If you look down at your strings, if any string does not have a pickup yoke directly under the string - its time to remove and re-align the GK-3 !

Elantric

Download the attached file for a report with pics of measurements of most popular types of mag hex pickups
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=41

admin

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/22899/

QuoteNeck, bridge and tailpiece locations on the Jag and JazzMaster bodies are slightly different AFAICT, so if you tried to put a 25.5" scale JazzMaster neck on a 24" scale Jag body, don't think it would work without some mods.

Elantric

admin

Quote from: metropolis_4, post: 33596774, member: 89989

I just roughly measured the distance between low E- High E at the nut - 12th fret - bridge on 4 guitars and this is what I measured:

Gibson:

36mm - 44mm - 52mm

Epiphone:

36mm - 44mm - 52mm

Tele:

36mm - 46mm - 56mm

EJ Strat:

35mm - 46mm - 56mm

Looks like the width at the nut is actually identical between Gibson and Fender, with the wider spacing at the bridge on the Fenders causing a bit more spread across the neck