Review: BOSS DR880

Started by myksara, January 22, 2013, 03:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myksara

Anyone using a boss dr880 as a machine for guitarists?
does it have good guitar sounds and does it fit into a live
situation as a solo performer?..i intend to use it for solo
performances where a clean chorus,overdriven rhythm,
acoustic sim n high gain lead sound should suffice..
But having a 12 string type sound n sitar sound will be
excellent...does the 880 have all this?
Any pros and cons worth highlighting?
I think of using a compact rig of just the 880 n guitar
going direct into the PA
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

Elantric

Download and read the DR-880 Manual.

for more than 20 years, Roland has included COSM Guitar processing with Amp simulators in several products.

Many Roland product demonstrators rely on a DR-880 for backing tracks, and I understand it can also send MIDI Patch change data at specific points in the song, to help automate your live setup.

In 2011 at NAMM, In hindsight I suspect the DR-880 was supplying some of the Guitar processing, while they demoed the features of the GR-55 synth. 

Rule #1 for any product demonstrator is "mask the units flaws" - I  did not hear the Patch change "mute" during the GR-55 product demonstration, I'm sure if you review all the GR-55 NAMM Youtube Videos you will see a DR-880 sitting behind the demonstrator.

pedwards2932

I have a DR 880 doesn't have 12 string or sitar.  the memory is kind of limited as well so you have to be careful constructing your drum parts or you will run out of memory very quickly.  The drum sounds are great but I would call the guitar processing as adequate for a lot of things but don't expect a full blown processor.  I would definitely recommend a try before you buy.  I like mine for a practice tool and will eventually use it to set work on original songs an possibly use it for a duo set up but presently I play in a band that has a drummer.

myksara

Try before you buy is a big problem here in my city in india
The store don't have these niche products for demos and clearly
advise to check the reviews on YouTube n internet.. :(

On a money saving thought...is there a similar software that will
do similar stuff on ipad???...
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,

Elantric

QuoteTry before you buy is a big problem here in my city in india

Its also a big problem for me too  - since my local music stores have zero high tech gear.

Part of the reason I attend NAMM ( a 5 hour car drive for me)  - I get my "Guitar Center "fix" in one long weekend once a year.

On a money saving thought...is there a similar software that will
do similar stuff on ipad???...

Of course
(too numerous)
http://apps.createdigitalmusic.com/

nanoStudio is nice.
http://blipinteractive.co.uk/

Other IOS apps are listed here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=20.0

myksara

A question for a DR880 user out here..
Can I program the DR880 to create a song say Hotel California backing track..
I should be able to set up the drum patterns (this should be easily doable)
I should be able to program the bass pattern according to the chord progression as in the original song
I should be able to overdub basic chord progression strums..
so my end result on the DR880 would be drums+bass+guitar chord strums..

And then I would play the 12 string arpeggios and solo, lead fills over it?
Is this possible?

Also, can anyone post some Tabla sound clips on the DR880?
Being in India, I would find good use for those sounds if they are good enough..

On a different note..I found a Yamaha QY100 unit which probably can be considered instead of the DR880...yet to check out the reviews for it though..Anyone using that?

And yes- Please note, I would go for the purchase of products only if they were suitable for live use!..Can't afford to use expensive units just for practice...I already have the microBR80 and PX5D for practice at home (anything above $400 is considered expensive in India!! for a gigging musician at local venues)

Elantric

Someone else will have to answer the questions specific to DR-880, but I know it lacks Guitar modelling - so it will not allow you to use a 6 string guitar , then  hit a button on the DR-880 and make it sound like a 12 string guitar".

The QY-100 is rather old now, (first shipped in 1995) it has an XG General MIDI sound set, but tones are a bit dated, and very poor battery life.

the best Tabla sounds I ever heard were from an IOS app called  "iTablaPro"  - well worth the $24.95 - could run on iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch and get lost in the 38 taal variations.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/itablapro-tabla-tanpura-player/id337350026?mt=8

http://upasani.org/home/iTablaPro.html

If it were me, Id use the Korg PX5D for guitar processing, and let the PX5D be your iPad USB Audio Interface with the Apple Camera Connection Kit (CCK)

Another left field idea is use the iPAD+CCK  - but instead of the Korg PX5D, use a Fender Mustang Floor as your iPAD USB Audio  / MIDI interface.
Because the Mustang Floor is fully USB Class compliant - it can perform several tasks on the iPAD  like send MIDI patch change data to an IOS backing track app, like Meteor Multitrack, and if you feed the iPad Audio Output ion the MP3 Input on the Mustang Floor, it can act as a DI Box and provide  professional Stereo balanced XLR Outputs to feed a PA with sounds from your  IOS apps along with Live Guitar processed by the Mustang Floors excellent Amp sims.

In the USA - Fender lowered the price of Mustang Floor to $199 USD 
Suggest read this
http://support.fender.com/manuals/guitar_amplifiers/Mustang_Floor_advanced_manual_English_rev-B.pdf

myksara

Quote from: Elantric on January 23, 2013, 10:57:37 PM
Someone else will have to answer the questions specific to DR-880, but I know it lacks Guitar modelling - so it will not allow you to use a 6 string guitar , then  hit a button on the DR-880 and make it sound like a 12 string guitar".

The QY-100 is rather old now, (first shipped in 1995) it has an XG General MIDI sound set, but tones are a bit dated, and very poor battery life.

Ok. SO I will rule out the QY100

the best Tabla sounds I ever heard were from an IOS app called  "iTablaPro"  - well worth the $24.95 - could run on iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch and get lost in the 38 taal variations.

Completely agree on this! I have the iTablaPro and use it for my Indian Classical 'raaga' practice on guitar.
Every Indian classical musician/singer having the ipad has this installed first! It is worth the purchase..

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/itablapro-tabla-tanpura-player/id337350026?mt=8

http://upasani.org/home/iTablaPro.html

If it were me, Id use the Korg PX5D for guitar processing, and let the PX5D be your iPad USB Audio Interface with the Apple Camera Connection Kit (CCK)
For me, I found BOSS MicroBR80 guitar sounds better than the PX5D but I understand I cannot use the microBR with iPad..
On a slightly different note, do you have some convincing patches for PX5D and would you mind sharing those?
My PX5D is up for sale, and I might just end up retaining it..

Another left field idea is use the iPAD+CCK  - but instead of the Korg PX5D, use a Fender Mustang Floor as your iPAD USB Audio  / MIDI interface.

Because the Mustang Floor is fully USB Class compliant - it can perform several tasks on the iPAD  like send MIDI patch change data to an IOS backing track app, like Meteor Multitrack, and provide  professional Stereo balanced XLR Outputs to feed a PA with sounds from your  IOS apps along with Live Guitar processed by the Mustang Floors excellent Amp sims.

I already have a ZOOM G5 apart from GR55. G5 has a sweet looper with quantize function along with drum beats and fade out loop options. Will Zoom G5 work with iPad through the CCK?

In the USA - Fender lowered the price of Mustang Floor to $199 USD 
Suggest read this
http://support.fender.com/manuals/guitar_amplifiers/Mustang_Floor_advanced_manual_English_rev-B.pdf

pedwards2932

You get drums, bass, and guitar effects with the DR 880.  It doesn't record sounds so you could have the drums and bass for Hotel California but anything else you have to play.  If you synched it up with a looper then you could add the extra guitars but to get 12 string you need a modeler like the VG 99.  Also the memory space on the DR 880 is really limited so if you get into a lot of detail programming the drums it will get to point where the DR 880 will only hold 20 or 30 songs then you have to bring a laptop to upload different sets.

aliensporebomb

Quote from: pedwards2932 on January 24, 2013, 05:21:46 AM
You get drums, bass, and guitar effects with the DR 880.  I doesn't record sounds so you could have the drums and bass for Hotel California but anything else you have to play.  If you synched it up with a looper then you could add the extra guitars but to get 12 string you need a modeler like the VG 99.  Also the memory space on the DR 880 is really limited so if you get into a lot of detail programming the drums it will get to point where the DR 880 will only hold 20 or 30 songs then you have to bring a laptop to upload different sets.

The best Hotel California impersonation I've heard came from our very own Brent Flash here on VG-99 which he has kindly supplied the patches to as well.  Really great MP3, I actually downloaded his MP3 and listen to it every now and again it's so good.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

myksara

I came across this zoom rt223 drum machine and read good
reviews of it...now there are lot of other brands such aa akai,alesis
but i have narrowed down to pick the dr880 or zoom rt223
Zoom rt223 is 1/3rd the price of a dr880..
I know the dr880 has gt6 guitar processor sounds,but i dont necessarily need
to have it...
Can some one who had used both these machines help me decide
if the dr880 is 3 times better than the zoom?

pedwards2932

I have a zoom unit and the dr880 and I think the dr880 has more realistic drum sounds and is easier to program.  The dr880 has a very limited memory.  Playing the bass on the dr880 is a little easier because the pads are set up so they are like a bass neck.  With midi in to the dr 880 if you have a guitar synth you can actually trigger the bass with your guitar which makes input a lot easier.  The zoom unit is pretty decent for practice might be a bit harder to use in a live situation....mine isn't the newest unit it has the older display but I think it is basically the same unit

myksara

Is there a drum machine with expandable memory at all?
I find it ridiculous of boss to have the dr 880 priced so high and not
givegood memory!!..

Elantric

QuoteIs there a drum machine with expandable memory at all?

In this century most run a Laptop running BFD2
http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=53

pedwards2932

I like Jamstix a lot because I can try a lot of different style drummers and it adds some randomness but in a live situation you would have to build your backing tracks from it.  You can also use Jamstix to trigger the BFD kits.  I bought the DR880 because I thought it may be a bit more reliable for live performance but I use it more for practice than anything else.  If I decide to do a duo thing with my fiance then I will probably build the backing tracks and bring them on a usb stick.......just don't want to have to bring my laptop.  By the way the DR880 has a wopping 512k of memory, why they didn't add a memory slot at the price they charge for it is beyond me......

MoeSnodgrass

This has been Rolands #1 drum machine since 2004 so they did something right. Here is the U.S. they are frequently found used for $199 on guitarcenter.com. It takes persistence and I think people give up too quickly and sell them. I tried many software solutions and didn't like any of them. I  recommend the DR-880 to anyone, unless you give up easily. It takes some time to learn. There are probably some drum machines that are easier to program but those may not sound as good and have the great 880 features (see below).

Almost everything about the DR-880 sounds great. I think the ride cymbals and the hand claps are a little weak but still useable. All other drum/cymbal/percussion sounds are very good/great (440 of them).

20 pads is great, more than most drum machines. There are three banks for a total of 60 sounds at one time available with just the push of a button. The pads are a small but very useable. I use all 20 of them all for many songs. It's easy to build a custom "user kit," a kit of 20, 40 or 60 of the drum sounds you need or like the most for each song.

Programming it is painstakingly clumsy at first but the results are worth the effort. The learning curve is a little steep. The manual is not great. There is a "Roland DR-880 Training Tutorial" DVD on Amazon that helped me get started.  It gets easier with use but persistence is required.

The guitar effects/amp modeling are easy and great. The programmable bass accompaniment is good but again clumsy to use. It takes time but gets easier.

The complaints about the memory are correct; expect only 15-25 complex songs (and the associated complex patterns needed to create the songs). For me, finished songs don't need to remain on the 880. I just export each track to .wav or .flac, and convert to .mp3 to play live on an iPod or similar. I only have 3 or 4 songs and 15 or 20 patterns on the 880 at one time, only the songs I am constructing.  Then I back up the roland data for 3 or 4 finished songs at a time, clear the machine, and start new songs.

The best features are "Velocity Modify," "Ghost Note," "EQ/Ambience"and "Fills." These humanize the drum tracks spectacularly. These are (pretty much) one button fixes (3 different buttons) for making the bass and drums sound really REAL. They will need a little adjustment after the button is pushed and EQ/Ambience can get very complex but they sound good pretty much with one button.  I cannot say enough good things about these features. Outstanding. Once you get good at it, you cannot tell the difference between the 880 and a real drummer.

>Can I program the DR880 to create a song say Hotel California backing track.

Yes. It still takes a while though. You will struggle at first.

>I should be able to set up the drum patterns (this should be easily doable)

Yes but it's much easier to use the preset patterns (500 of them to choose) and just add cymbals and fills. I find a great preset pattern EVERY TIME and just add fills, cymbals and make my own user kit. Making your own kits is easy; I do it every time.

>I should be able to program the bass pattern according to the chord progression as in the original song.

Yes, but not easily at first. This too takes practice but it gets easier over time and with persistence.

>I should be able to overdub basic chord progression strums.

No, you need a looper for this. No drum machine does this.

>And then I would play the 12 string arpeggios and solo, lead fills over it?

Again, there is no overdubbing or looping with drum machines or the DR-880. It is a drum machine. There are guitar effect and amp models but it does not overdub or loop external instruments. It just applies effects to them.

The tabla sound good to my ears but ... (?) The low tabla has an automatic pitch bend up. The medium is a straight hit and the high is palm-muted. You can change/reprogram the pitch of any drum so you could build your own "user kit" and have 6 or 10 or all 20 pads filled with tabla of different pitches.

Try to find it used. The effort and persistence to learn it is worth the time because the result is outstanding.

myksara

Thanks for the in-depth info on the DR880..
I have just received my DR880 and it does seem promising..the proaudiodvd video tutorial is of great help, although the manual is also pretty neat. You just need to have the patience to go through it.

Quick observations here:
1) In the box, you get the DR880, power supply, driver CD, user manual. NO USB cable.
2) Excellent Drum and Bass kits with transpose/key change feature. You can actually move the bass 1 octave high and construct chord like sounds.
3) The drum pads are nicely structured in 4 rows and 5 columns. They actually can be visualized as the frets on a BASS with the 1st column representing open strings on standard tuning (EADG)
4) Tabla is highly disappointing and artificial- yet another instance of sheer negligence from Roland/BOSS when it comes to having good Indian instrument samples.
5) If you connect your electric guitar and audition the patches using headphones, they sound terrible-but...don't worry, you just have to hit the output setting button and change the output source to Line/Headphones. The default setting is 'amp' which makes the patches sound terrible in headphones. The guitar sounds feel dated because its a GT6 processor in there and I am now used to the GR55 sounds which sound very good to my ears though not perfect. However the guitar sounds are very usable (There were people who used a GT6 for a living a few years ago .. :-)) . I am trying to get GT6 patches on the internet and a GT6 editor. This should allow me to view those patches and settings and I should be able to program my DR880 guitar patches accordingly. A guitar tuner is also on board
6) Very nice layout (except I wish the cursor buttons and jogwheel were grouped together like a GR55 or the BR80 recorder). You get separate volume controls for the programmed drums, bass and live guitar parts with the master volume to ensure a perfect mix. nice back lit LCD display and lit buttons. The play button blinks in sync with the tempo which looks fancy..Nice one here.
7) Lots of connection options and accessories usage options available
8) Nice groove modify function that brings life to your patterns by simulating how a live drummer would make it sound. (check out youtube or BOSS demos for this)
9) No expandable storage and I have heard of MEMORY RUNNING OUT soon, but yet to experience it. Although BOSS claim 500 user patterns and 100 user songs storage, I have heard users complain that they have hardly been able to store 20 songs before the memory runs out.

This is just a quick '1 page review' so to say and there are a lot of good things to it..Looks like a keeper!!

myksara

By the way, I have not beenable to figure out a way of copying or tweaking guitar patches in the DR880 on a PC.
Is this possible?
Does anyone know of a forum that has guitar patches for DR880?
Or can someone help with some patch settings for patches you have created?

bbob

There is a Yahoo DR880 group:

http://launch.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/BossDR880/

Lots of good info there but not sure if they have patches.

Bob

Yug

The DR880 is a great little drum machine which provides fairly convincing drum tracks to jam along with. It synchronises well with loopstations and its level of programability on the fly makes it fairly easy to build up percussive layers which maintains a degree of interest. For all its good points, it is still just a drum machine so inevitably suffers being a rather repetative drummer so you have to work quite hard to maintain rhythmic interest when playing over it. Its bass line is more a novelty, better relegated to "something to jam over". However, of all the drum machines available, it represents good value and is an asset to those wishing to jam themselfes to death. To use it live is questionable as live would become lifeless - need a real drummer.

jerrycali

I have a DR 880 and use it as a stand alone drum machine and bass  player in my performance rig to play guitar over it as well as incorporating it into song arrangements  . I have just started to synch it up to an RC-300 and it works great in that mode as well . For composing and playing you should also look at the Boss Jam Station - you can program it with the rythym styles and accompniment (some what limiting ) although I use it mostly for the drums and bass  with ocassionaly some of the other instuments in the patch styles. You can grab one of these used at Guitar Center or e-bay for as little as 200.00 dollars . It is a bit confusing at first if you try to create something from scratch - but if you use the templates you can input the chord changes and the bass lines will follow along with on or off accompniement instruments . the nice thing about this unit is once you have written a song you can go into the style modes and hear what the same song sounds like in different genres ie. hard rock,blues heavy metal country jazz etc. -both of these units are midi and midi synch  compatable - hope this helps  - thanks -JC

Athelstan12

I've had a DR880 now for around 4 years, after trying Alesis SR16's and SR18's, I found them (especially the SR18) 
WAY too complicated to use, the Boss has its limitations, sure, but after I got my GR-55, found I could pair them up, and use them as recording tools, without any trouble, its very robust, unlike the Alesis range, it does me anyhow.

myksara

@athelstan12: Sounds great! Can you please add more details around how you link them up and use?

Zeebop-1

Can someone help me with understanding basic programing for the User patterns for the DR-880, regarding real time recording & step recording.  My first assumption was that you had to play an instrument and enter and save it somehow. But apparently not.  Rather, it appears that by just playing the instrument while in record mode it is remembered until further action.  Therefore you can layer the bass and drum parts, by going over it and over it.  Is there a set number of times you can layer it, before it will stop taking inputs ?

Also, this would imply that you could layer the percussion/drum parts (over the bass or separately). It would seem then, that each individual percussion instrument has a separate input/layer. Each kit contains 4 rows of 5 instruments, and there's 3 basic kits = 60 total percussion/drum sounds. so could you then have 60 layers of percussion/drum "parts".   The point is, not that I would want to do this, but, I'm I thinking about the programming the right way-the right way to build up a user pattern.  Thanks.

Elantric