Samsung S5 - USB OTG to MIDI adapter to control GR-55

Started by mapperboy, May 04, 2016, 09:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mapperboy

USB cable question:
I want to experiment with Midi Commander (or other) Android Midi controller apps.
Are there pin correct micro USB (on my Samsung S5) to USB B (the connector on my GR-55/VG-99) cables available anywhere.
Alternatively, could I safely mate a standard USB 'A' to USB micro cable to a USB 'A' to USB 'B' cable using a female to female USB 'A' adapter (if they exist).
"No such thing as spare time.
No such thing as free time.
No such thing as down time.
All you got is life time. Go!"
- Henry Rollins

Elantric

You need a "USB OTG (On-The Go) adapter" for Samsung S5
http://www.amazon.com/aLLreli%C2%AE-Micro-Samsung-Galaxy-Tablet/dp/B00J66M1I8/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1462424509&sr=1-1&keywords=galaxy+s5+OTG

That gives your Samsung Galaxy S5  a USB Host port.

The GR-55 USB requires a Driver for the OS - and is not USB Class compliant - so with only a USB cable it wont do anything with a Android phone

The VG-99 when USB Mode is set to "Standard mode" will allow your Samsung S5 Android phone to record 16 bit audio from VG-99 when used with a standard USB cable connected to the "USB OTG (On-The Go) adapter" for Samsung S5

QuoteI want to experiment with Midi Commander (or other) Android Midi controller apps.
If you want MIDI control of GR-55/ VG-99 - you need a USB Class Compliant USB to MIDI cable - like a Roland UM-ONE MkII connected to the "USB OTG (On-The Go) adapter" for Samsung S5

http://www.roland.com/products/um-one_mk2/

Above Roland UM-ONE MKII USB <>MIDI cable also works for VG-99 / GR-55 Guitar to MIDI to trigger Android Soft Synths - but not worth the expense or effort, due to the known high latency of Android Synths triggered via MIDI   

OldGuitarDude

Ive been using the two items Elantric mentions above on a Samsung tablet running Set List Maker for over a year now. It works great for patch changes on my GR-55, and the changes are quick. I tried Midi Commander and it worked as well, but SLM does a lot more, especially if you need lyrics and work with more than one group.

mapperboy

Thx to Elantric and OldGuitarDude for invaluable directions.
VGuitarForum rocks (well, certainly more than that; it jazzes, pops, countrys, classicals, new made up genres etc. Thanks for all the diligent heavy lifting to keep it alive and thirving!)
-m
- Henry Rollins

mapperboy

New question:
I bought an OTG cable for my Samsung 5 and the Roland UM-One.
The OTG with the UM-One, I can see midi being sent through the little UM-One box from the GR-55 when I play a note.
But so far am totally clueless as to how to start to learn enough to send patch control message to the GR-55. The most recent version of the trial Set List Maker immediately crashes when I run it on my Samsung S5. Found an older version which runs but don't know how to configure it.  Please point me to a good set of docs/instructions.
Another promising looking app may be Lemur? Anyone have experience using that on an Android phone to control GR-55 and/or VG-99?
Is Lemur too deep of an Midi/OSC app with all of its modular programmability?  Looks very promising but again don't know where to start as the User Manual just kinda jumps into the thick of everything and also seems to be focused on running it on a full MAC or PC machine OS not a tablet or smartphone.
Thanks in advance,
-Mike 
- Henry Rollins

Elantric

If you use Set list maker on Android, - Follow the same GR-55 MIDI control  command structure we already debugged for using SetListmaker ( IOS) to control GR-55 via MIDI
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7845.msg55520#msg55520

and here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9090.0