String Dampers - Improves DSP Modeling, Alt Tuning, GTR-MIDI

Started by carlb, December 12, 2008, 06:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooncaine

If I buy a damper, I'll get Batten's because it looks like it weighs less, because she's a player who has proved its use, and because she's a player, period. Support a musician, etc., know what i mean? I wish she sold the 6-string individual damper b/c that looks useful.

admin

Quote from: mooncaine on April 21, 2017, 07:19:32 AM
If I buy a damper, I'll get Batten's because it looks like it weighs less, because she's a player who has proved its use, and because she's a player, period. Support a musician, etc., know what i mean? I wish she sold the 6-string individual damper b/c that looks useful.

Jennifer is a great musician , but the guy selling the UltraMute is hardly a slouch

Elantric

Tony Raven

The times I've muted at the nut, I've gone Chapman-style, but downtuned a half-step so that I could still keep up with (down to?) the other instruments.

I've long wondered if the string ends inside most vibratos might be adding ring, but have yet to actually check it. And then there's the vibrato springs... ::)

In any case, definitely kill the wolftones at headstock & tailpiece.

admin

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22178.msg177955#msg177955
Quote from: DLC86 on January 19, 2018, 06:50:37 AM
Anyway I have an issue: when palm muting or strumming hard causing some fret buzz I hear a pretty nasty high frequency noise, it's also present with atg off but it seems the atg boosts it quite a bit, and it's annoying especially on the low E string.
I tried to play a bit with saddles distance settings and that changes the tone of that noise but couldn't find a setting that make it tolerable.

I think the cause is the comb filtering correction the ATG makes to flatten the response of the hex pickup (based on its position), probably fret buzz and palm muting introduce frequencies that shouldn't be captured by the pickup in that particular position revealing the eq correction.
After almost one year I finally identified what was causing this issue, thanks to a discussion about variax on the line6 forum.
Basically the little portion of string between the saddle and the ball-end was vibrating simpathetically every time I plucked the string and the note it produced was being emphasized by the ATG comb filtering. A bit of plumber tape wrapped around that portion of the spring completely solved the problem, both with mag and piezo.

Writing this for anyone who may face the same issue in the future.

admin

gearhound22

This helped me bigtime

Poly tubing and an ebony block (idea stolen from Tesla!)

Elantric

Matteo Barducci

Quote from: Elantric on July 24, 2023, 02:11:23 PMThese will be #1 accessory for all GM-800 owners

True, but nowadays only GruvGear seems to be available
--

---> Matteo Barducci

Elantric

shannonrichards

Quote from: carlb on December 12, 2008, 06:05:13 AMhttps://www.gekite2.com/archives/14702?fbclid=IwAR2TeCCKT5f0ZhtyZtwzyZy8nhQbuS1Bajb5aOk6Q-GXMy9VujCqGU_8-U0

FretWraps Wild Guitar String Muters

https://www.amazon.com/Gruv-Gear-FW-3PK-SM-FretWraps-3-Pack/dp/B00FNEB9XU/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=FretWraps+Wild+Guitar+String+Muter&qid=1615503954&sr=8-8

----

ChromaCast Michael Angelo Batio Signature String Dampener (CC-ST-DAMP-MAB)

https://www.amazon.com/ChromaCast-Michael-Signature-Dampener-CC-ST-Damp-MAB/dp/B018IRSRMO/ref=pd_sbs_4

Hi all,

As RMC & Elantric note, the string string runs between the bridge and the tailpiece should be dampened/muted with foam, felt, etc. - primarily true for piezo bridge pickups.

If you're wondering how much difference this makes, try strumming between the bridge and the tailpiece. It's as loud as strumming where you're supposed to be. Those off-key pitches will mess up any synth tracking you're doing, and just sound bad for anything else.

Here's something else I've found: strum between the nut and the tuning pegs: loud as anything there too, comes through the pickup quite nicely. Blech. Mute there as well.

Do they work in the same manner as a capo?