External CTL Pedals

Started by Luke, July 27, 2009, 01:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

QuoteWhat about for the GP-10 itself though? . .   .  I still can't figure out (how on to enable CTRL Status LEDs) for CTRL 1 or 2 either?

Use the Boss Tone Studio  - look for the LED ON/OFF assignment ( see far left)

greekjgg

Just missed your pic you posted....Looks like I have to assign the led then go into the assign function to tell it the pu switch 2nd

Setup:
Homemade EVH Frankenstrat with built in GK3
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

Headless68

Ordered mine beginning of December but still no UK stock yet

Threeleggedyoyo

I want to get a Boss FS-7, but I'm not sure what kind of cable I need. I'd really like to get a red / black one like the one pictured here:

http://c1.zzounds.com/media/fit,2018by3200/quality,85/FS-7_image1_600-c931dfe5eb7f18154e6a5f52edb7d8ff.jpg

Loving that it's a combined cable with right angle heads (it's a space-saving device, afterall).

I don't think any of the websites include one. Does anyone know which to get or where I can find one? The product description is confusing:

----
Connectors

A jack: 1/4" TRS phone type (*)
B jack: 1/4" phone type

DC IN jack
* You can also connect a 1/4" phone plug.
Indicators
---------

On the other hand, one of the jacks is labeled "A&B" so maybe I don't even need to plug into both those jacks... totally lost.

http://www.musicalstore.net/images/B_BOSS_fs7.jpg

Anybody?

Headless68

Depends what you are using it with
You can use a stereo patch lead into 'A' same as an FS6 works with GP-10 VG-99 RC etc
Or it can have a mono patch to A and B and this will work like 2 FS5U / L's

Threeleggedyoyo

Thanks Headless... Ok... yeah I want to use it as a two-button footswitch going into a single jack on an RC-300. Can you point me in the direction of a good right-angle connector cable to do that?

Headless68

As this is only a switch (no audio goes through this) it's not really worth shelling out for an expensive lead - I use a couple of cheaper patch leads (one as a spare) & this works perfect with my VG99

guitarno

:( I ordered one of these several weeks ago to use with my GP-10, and so far hadn't used it a lot. I went to set it up for a patch the other day, and the microswitch for "Polarity" broke off in my hand when I was setting it. I then noticed the other one was gone too! :o Now I have to use a bent paperclip to reach in and change these two switch settings if I need to! >:( Not good, and definitely not what I'm used to from Roland/Boss gear. Their products are generally build like a tank and last for years.

Anyone else have these switches break? I ordered this switch from Zzounds. I normally don't use them as a vendor, but just happened to this time. I have a return request in to them for this, but I don't know if they will honor a return on this yet.

Bummer! :-[
Suhr Classic Pro SSS, PRS Hollowbody II Piezo, Breedlove Oregon Concerto E, Fractal FM3, Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special

Elantric

My FS-7 is still like new  - no switch issues, but I use padded cases 

guitarno

Maybe mine took a knock inside of a gig bag. Some extra padding probably would have been helpful. I didn't really think that would be an issue. I guess if no one else has seen this it's just happenstance. I think if I do replace it I might get an FS-6 instead.
Suhr Classic Pro SSS, PRS Hollowbody II Piezo, Breedlove Oregon Concerto E, Fractal FM3, Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special

Headless68

I have just used an off cut of scratch plate material double side tape to my EV-5 so it doesn't get bashed on the side where the switches are

jwhitcomb3

Really enjoying using my FS-7 with my GP-10. Anybody know of a source for a 12" cable with two male TRS ends?

Elantric

QuoteAnybody know of a source for a 12" cable with two male TRS ends?

MonoPrice
Straight 1.5ft 1/4" TRS Male to Male cable
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150901&p_id=4791&seq=1&format=2

or

Right Angle

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150901&p_id=9439&seq=1&format=2

jwhitcomb3

Fluke

Quote from:  CodeSmart on December 28, 2014, 11:20:48 PM
My problem with the LED has been that the state is invalid when you switch patch. Example: in patch #5 you turn on echo and the LED (and echo) is ON. Then you change patch to #6 and the darn LED is still on without the effect associated to it is on. That is confusing.

Hi CodeSmart

Using the GP10 live for the first time I had a lot of confusion with the same FS6 issue.
It was great to find it was possible to have the FS6 leds indicate state in momentary mode, but when moving patch the flippin things stay lit...grrr!
Did you find a solution?

CodeSmart

Quote from:  Fluke on April 15, 2015, 01:05:37 AM
Did you find a solution?

Nop, I don't think there is a solution. The latch circuit in the footswitch can't know that you changed patch and can't know the actual state of the GP-10 / GR-55.

A better footswitch and Roland synth would use bi-directional communication allowing the external footswitch latch to be reset or set by the synth unit to the actual state of the feature controlled.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Fluke

Yes, that seems to be the way of it.
I've gigged the GP10 a few times now, am starting to get the hang of remembering to quickly tap the lit switches after a patch change, or tap twice to re-engage in the new patch.

It is a wee bit frustrating Roland hobbled it somewhat, but I'm grateful such a device exists and for such a low price considering what you get.
Despite it's compact size, it wouldn't need more than a handful of modifications, to make it's live use much much simpler.

Roll on the GP10 MkII :)

TiagoReil

I was going to get an FS-6 for my VG99, and just realized about this footswitch. It looks great, and obviously it has the size advantage.
But I see only one thing that may be best in the fs-6. It seems to configure polarity and latch/unlatch for both at the same time, while the old fs-6 did it separately. Is this correct? I don't care about polarity, as I would be using it with the same machine, the vg99, but the other one, I may want to have one latch, and the other unlatch. Is that something lost in the new pedal. And I don't have that much experience to tell you the truth with footswitches. Is it logical to want to have them do different things? One Latch and the other unlach? Again, this is new for me and would want the opinion of more advance users.

thanks.

Headless68

I use one on a VG-99 - you set the pedal to unlatch then set the parameter in the 99 to make it actually latch or unlatch - works great

Headless

TiagoReil

tpandela

I must have missed something. I notice when using my GP-10 with the FS-7 in latching mode (so the LED's stay on) that the LED's don't shut off when I change the patch. They just stay lit but do not affect the following patch. I can scroll through patches that don't make use of CTL 3&4 but the LED's stay lit. They stay lit when I switch the unit off. This tells me these pedals have no smarts. Yes?
Anybody else have this problem? How does one get the LED's to reflect the actual state of the GP-10?

Thanks,
Tom

thebrushwithin

No power - use as momentary (FS-5 mode) - assign as either momentary or toggle. The LEDs mean nothing to me cause I hear the status, and it works for me.

tpandela

I can learn to hear the status too. Thanks for the reply.

Tom

stevesilk51

Quote from: Elantric on January 23, 2008, 06:34:25 PM
There are many pedal options besides the Roland offerings.

In the UK,  Red Onion Switches are cool
http://www.redonionsolutions.co.uk/General/TripleMom.htm

Hi Guys,

Update to Elantrics posting about roland/boss compatible footswitches:

Red Onion are now called Bright Onion:

http://www.brightonion.co.uk/roland-boss/

I have a couple of these and the small imprint is great if you want a compact board/

e,g, for £20 uk I got a great, robust little pedal, basically a simple FS6 clone for switching patches up/down on my GT-001

admin