VG-99 - Help, please, with a modern metal rhythm patch

Started by Kevin M, December 28, 2012, 12:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin M

I'm attempting, not-so-successfully, at getting a more modern sounding metal rhythm sound  (think Porcupine Tree as an example) for some upcoming recording.  I understand that a lot of their sound is achieved by layering, but I need to start with a decent base.  I think if I can get a good, wide, metal crunch w/o overbearing 'noise', I might begin to have some success.  I'm attaching a test patch that I've been working on a little bit as a starting point.  If any of you patch masters would like to tweak this and/or provide pointers to me, I'd be eternally grateful!

Kevin

Kevin M

Smash

Never programmed a metal patch before in my life but I'll have a go in the next couple of days if you don't get any takers...

Any particular Porcupine track sound you're going for?

papabuss

Quote from: kmaus10 on December 28, 2012, 12:07:35 PM
I'm attempting, not-so-successfully, at getting a more modern sounding metal rhythm sound  (think Porcupine Tree as an example) for some upcoming recording.  I understand that a lot of their sound is achieved by layering, but I need to start with a decent base.  I think if I can get a good, wide, metal crunch w/o overbearing 'noise', I might begin to have some success.  I'm attaching a test patch that I've been working on a little bit as a starting point.  If any of you patch masters would like to tweak this and/or provide pointers to me, I'd be eternally grateful!

Kevin
Hi Kevin
which concrete Porcupine song/metal sound are you looking for?
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

aliensporebomb

Quote from: kmaus10 on December 28, 2012, 12:07:35 PM

Kevin

Are you thinking of something like "Blackest Eyes" on "In Absentia"?  I might not get to it until later today or early tomorrow though.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Smash

Kevin M

Quote from: aliensporebomb on December 31, 2012, 04:48:48 AM
Are you thinking of something like "Blackest Eyes" on "In Absentia"?  I might not get to it until later today or early tomorrow though.

Thanks for the reply!  Yes, I think that, or even something like the title track from Fear of a Blank Planet (heavier guitar parts) would be pretty close.

papabuss

I am not at my VG at the moment. But use the Rotary effect.
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Kevin M

Thanks for the response, but if you're referring to the Fear of a Blank Planet song, I'm actually referring to the part where the heavy guitars come in as opposed to the rotary effect part.  Hope that makes sense.

Jim Williams

Hey give this one a shot. It may not be what you are looking for but it may be a good starting place. amp A is a Metal custom amp and cab while chanel b is a clean peizo rig with effects for that scarry clean intro.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Kevin M

Thanks, I will. Bedridden with the flu right now, so might take a couple of days before I can, but I'm eager to try the hi gain patch.

Smash

Straight drop D - twin model stereo panned. Sounds reasonably big, rhythmy thingy.

Just tried Jims drop d and that's really good! The piezo clean nearly ripped my face off tho!

Kevin M

Finally back among the living. Thanks guys!  I think either of these, with just a small bit of tinkering, will get me in the right direction!