Celemony Melodyne

Started by jon_bondy, March 13, 2008, 04:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

germanicus

Anyone use this aspect of melodyne?

I was using Melodyne to fix some out of tune vocals on friends project and for shits and gigles used it in 'polyphonic' mode on a guitar solo track, and found its fairly accurate in converting to midi.

Theres also a very cool way to create huge sounding acoustic guitar tracks using its octave/formant shifting.

http://helpcenter.celemony.com/editor2/en/singletrack_tutorial_extractingaguitarlick.html?q=converting%20midi

Its fairly good at concerting fast passages.

Whats incredible is its capacity to do this from a single polyphonic source (single track).
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

Elantric

As an Ableton Live Suite 8 owner, I recently got the crossgrade version of PreSonus Studio One Professional V2 -(which is coded in Germany by the same folks that created Nuendo BTW), and it comes with a free copy of Melodyne Single Track - So I look forward to trying these Guitar to MIDI extraction techniques.

Elantric

QuoteI have Melodyne.  What you are talking about is a neat idea in theory, but in my opinion after all the money, time and effort you put into doing that, I really don't think your going to be happy with the results.  You also for all your trouble will not be able to play your MIDI instruments in real time.  You would be much better of using a dedicated pitch to midi system (or You Rock style controller), and using to daw to edit out any glitches afterward.  Melodyne works well on interpreting audio data, but it's just not accurate enough to convert intricate passages into clean MIDI.  I thought it would be a good replacement for a hex system, but I ended going back to my GI10.

I agree  - Melodyne is powerful - but its not a "real time Pitch to MIDi solution.

http://www.celemony.com/en/news/tutorial-solo-guitar

http://helpcenter.celemony.com/editor2/en/

http://helpcenter.celemony.com/editor2/en/singletrack_tour_keycommands.html

Elantric

Elantric

Melodyne's Plugin allows Audio to MIDI conversion capabilities from within your active Session. Once audio to transferred into Melodyne Singletrack Plugin, audio can be edited and/or accurately converted to MIDI Data for additional creative use. In this video I import a stereo guitar example and demonstrate this process. I further import the new MIDI file created from the analog guitar track, and layer it in the mix with a virtual instrument.

scratch17

I was perusing the Melodyne website to see if they had any hints as to Winter Namm news and came across this:

QuoteAdditional audio-to-MIDI functions:
Send audio in real time as MIDI notes to a plug-in (virtual instrument)

The quote is from a comparison of different Melodyne products.
I have Melodyne editor, which does a pretty good job of converting polyphonic audio to MIDI data (not in real time). I haven't tried Melodyne Studio and was unaware that Melodyne Studio had this feature. I'm intrigued.

Has anyone tried this out?
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

Vade

I use a FTP for real time MIDI generation but I do wonder what the latency of a real time Melodyne audio to MIDI conversion might be. I've not had much luck with Melodyne's audio to MIDI as of yet. Tried to convert flute to midi for synth triggering but had unusable results. I was doing an overview and I didn't pursue it though so it may well have been operator error.
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

supernicd

I wasn't aware of this feature in Melodyne Studio either.  I also have the Editor version.  I've done the polyphonic note to MIDI conversion a few times and it works pretty well for me, though more often I just like working with the material inside Melodyne - it still kind of makes my jaw drop the way you can edit polyphonic and polyrhythmic audio like that. Totally worth watching the dozens of videos on the Celemony website if you're not getting the results you want.  And even if you are, they have lots of great creative application ideas.

I use it in Studio One, where it's pretty deeply integrated.  I'm running it on one of the faster Core i5 processors on Windows 8.  Not real time, but it analyzes the material pretty darned fast, and that's not even the fastest processor available today.  I could definitely see where they're not too far off from achieving realtime, accurate polyphonic conversion.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Vade

@Totally worth watching the dozens of videos on the Celemony website if you're not getting the results you want.

Those vids are definitely on my "to do" list as is gaining a better working knowledge of Sonar X3 in general. I'm using an i5 3570k OC@4k w/8GB so it's not top of the line but still pretty capable and I just need to work with Melodyne a bit more. Every time I fire it up though I'm prompted to up my buffer size which I keep low for latency mitigation. If you guys find the sweet spot for audio to MIDI on the fly I'd love to hear about it. As for me, getting my mobile rig in better shape is more of a priority on my massive "to do" list and so I'll cheer you two along for now.
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Elantric

Ive had Melodyne Studio for a couple years, and never saw a path for real time Live performance audio to MIDI conversion  -  believe it a confusion in marketing myself

Or educate me ;)

shawnb

Hmmm...   Interesting...   Maybe it does.   

Halfway down the chart on this page:
http://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/functions

However...   I think it's "after" detection...  I.e., "real time" means during playback only, only AFTER you've imported the track...
http://www.celemony.com/userforum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2638
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

QuoteI.e., "real time" means during playback only, only AFTER you've imported the track...
http://www.celemony.com/userforum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2638

Correct - thats how it works here on my system.

Bottom line  - Melodyne is useless for live performance, without a path for  "Real Time Audio to MIDI" use.

Pin

I've looked at Melodyne in the past. Has anyone on here actually used it? How well can it convert audio to midi?

Elantric

Elantric

scratch17

There are some interesting new features in Melodyne 4.

http://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/new-in-melodyne-4

My DAW of choice is Logic Pro X. I was going to buy Studio One 3 to get ARA support. ARA support removes the rendering requirement for audio tracks to Melodyne format that is present in Logic Pro X.

However, for only $149 I can get Melodyne Studio. Celemony is offering an upgrade to Melodyne Studio 4 from any version of Melodyne Editor for only $149 through 4/30/16. IMHO that is a real bargain.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

Elantric

And Melodyne 4 now uses an i-Lok2 USB Dongle license scheme

scratch17

I just installed M4 Studio and it does not require an iLok. Possibly this is because I first purchased Melodyne Editor V2, and have upgraded since then.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

Elantric

http://www.inspiringaudio.com/new-melodyne-with-spectral-overtone-shaper/

NEW MELODYNE WITH SPECTRAL OVERTONE SHAPER

JANUARY 15, 2016 INSPIRING AUDIO   LEAVE A COMMENT
Celemony is releasing Version 4 of its legendary audio software Melodyne. With the Sound Editor in Melodyne 4, you can reach into the spectra of polyphonic sound and shape overtones.

This is not just new technology but magic. The new overtone shaper in Melodyne 4 opens endless possibilities for sound manipulation.

"Melodyne recognizes the notes and their overtones – also a decisive advantage when it comes to sound processing. While conventional equalizers only act upon fixed frequencies, Melodyne adapts to the audio material itself. Adjust the level of individual overtones within each track, shape the basic sound of each instrument, relate the timbre or envelope of each note to its pitch, bring out the character of each sound source.
The results are novel acoustically, often unique, invariably invigorating – yet the Sound Editor is intuitive and lends itself easily to creative use."

The new overtone shaper has this beautiful interface,

Melodyne_4_overtone_editor

Multitrack Editing

Multitrack editing has one very important advantage: you can see and edit the notes of as many tracks as you like simultaneously. The harmonies, melodies and rhythms of your project can all be viewed in context. And you can reach into this plastic image of the music, select notes and modify them, regardless of which tracks they belong to.

Learn more and buy on Melodyne Website

http://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/new-in-melodyne-4

Elantric

Updated today to Celemony 4.1

http://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/new-in-melodyne-4#4556

New in Melodyne 4.1
• New functions and improvements• Bug fixes
This document provides an overview of what's new in Melodyne 4.1, with links to detailed descriptions in the manual.

New functions and improvements

Multitrack Note Editing now also during ARA integration
In Melodyne studio 4.1's Note Editor, you can now also with ARA integration display and edit as many DAW tracks simultaneously as you like.
>>Working with ARA

ARA improvements for (vocal) comping in the DAW
Thanks to two new ARA modes, Melodyne's power can be optimally focused on an individual clip or an entire track, thereby providing ideal support for typical DAW workflows such as (vocal) comping: ARA Clip Mode affords access to a single clip but also to notes on either side of the clip borders. ARA Track Mode, on the other hand, shows you all the clips on a DAW track, exactly as they are edited and arranged there.
>>Working with ARA

New playback type for monophonic instruments
To enhance sound quality during the playback of soprano voices or very high-pitched melodic instruments (e.g. piccolos), the Algorithm Inspector now includes a new playback type: "Tonal (high)".
>>Editing the detection in Note Assignment Mode

The "Separate Notes as Trill" command
The Note Editor and Note Assignment Mode now feature Melodyne studio 3's familiar "Separate Notes as Trill" command.
>>The tools for note separation
The "Replace Audio" command
The "Replace Audio" command allows you to save an audio file under its existing name without having to open the Export dialog.
>>Loading and saving audio (stand-alone)

Better keyboard shortcuts
Every sub-tool now has its own independent shortcut. A shortcut has also been added for the Time Grid, and Zoom commands assigned to the numerical keypad.
>>Preferences and keyboard shortcuts

Contrast variations for the user interface
In the Preferences dialog, several new contrast options are available for the user interface.
>>Preferences and keyboard shortcuts

HiDPI support under Windows
On suitable systems running Windows 8 or later, Melodyne now supports the high resolution screen. This applies to both the stand-alone implementation and the plug-in in Studio One. HiDPI support for further DAWs is planned.
Reduced memory requirements
Thanks to internal optimization, the memory requirements under Windows in particular of Melodyne 4.1 (stand-alone, plug-ins and ARA) have been reduced.

Auto Scroll options
When running Melodyne as a plug-in, you can now save separate Auto Scroll settings for each instance.

iLok
In addition to the iLok 2, Melodyne 4.1 now supports the new iLok 3.

macOS Sierra
Naturally, Melodyne 4.1 is also compatible with Apple's latest operating system.
Bug fixes

Fixed: under Windows 7, certain MP3 files when loaded causing Melodyne stand-alone to crash
Fixed: in Cubase, the setting "Always on Top" for the plug-in window sometimes leading to a crash
Fixed: various graphics problems in the plug-in
Fixed: entered or detected tonalities reset to C Major when saving
Fixed: MAR files from Melodyne studio 3 imported by Melodyne 4 with incorrect tempo information
Fixed: sundry other problems affecting the import of studio 3 files
Fixed: shift by a few samples of audio material after a later change of algorithm
Fixed: occasional misalignment of the Time Grid after tempo learning in the DAW
Fixed: unreliable transfer to the Melodyne plug-in of information regarding changes of time signature in Cubase's Learn Tempo dialog

scratch17

Check out this video describing the Sound Editor in Melodyne Studio 4. Sound Editor is not available in any other version.

http://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/what-can-melodyne-do

This unique tool could present an abundance of possibilities for any guitar with a hex pickup sent into a breakout box.

This is much more than a fancy equalizer. Here is how I plan to use it.

I have a Brian Moore i213 and an RMC fanout box. I set up as six tracks (one per string) in Logic Pro 10.4 . I am using my current gear as an example. Note that, this will also work with my GK-3 mounted on my Hamer Duotone.

There are even more possibilities when using a Cycfi Nu Multi (V1 or V2) and a Nexus breakout box.

So where does Melodyne Studio 4's Sound Editor comes in? And what unique processes can it do? You can watch the video to get a good idea of how the EQ functions in the Sound Editor can be used to shape the sounds.

But if you skip to the 9:55 mark in the video you will see a demonstration of how the Sound Editor can copy a piano's spectrum and copy it to a guitar track. So what's the big deal?

With the Brian Moore, I get the piezo sound from the RMC pickup. Normally I send each string's base track through my UA Apollo loaded with Sound Machine's Woodworks plugin. This does a nice job of making the piezo sound more like a steel string acoustic guitar. But what if I want to make each string sound like it is nylon?

Record a nylon string guitar. Open that track in Melodyne Syudio. Open the Sound Editor and copy the nylon string guitar's spectrum. Now open each track of the hex guitar recording and paste the nylon string spectrum to the hex tracks.

Presto! You have a nylon string hex guitar. Is it perfect? No. But it is damn close. And you have the Sound Editor tools to tweak it to taste.

You could also go the other way. Copy the spectrum of a clean sound of a steel string electric and paste it to the hex guitar tracks. Now you have a steel string electric guitar in hex.

So what are the possibilities with a Cycfi Nu multi?

Let's say the Nu multi won't fit on a particular guitar between the bridge and the bridge pickup. It will only fit between the bridge and the neck pickups. That position will not work well (if at all) for your GK devices.

No problem. Use the Sound Editor to copy the spectrum of a GK-3 pickup mounted properly next to the bridge on another guitar. Bypass all GK devices. Record the hex signal through a breakout box directly into six tracks on your DAW. Then copy the GK-3 generated first string's spectrum and paste the spectrum to the track with the Nu Multi's first string.

Do the same process for all six strings. This will become a hex spectrum template for the Nu Multi.

Now you can output these six tracks back through a GK breakout box into a GK port. Plug into your VG-99 or GP-10. The GK device will not know the signal isn't coming from a GK-3.

And this will work in real time. To avoid a lot of RTL, freeze all other tracks, just running the six tracks and Melodyne.

Note that there are also synthesis and harmonic macros in the Sound Editor, so even a monophonic guitar track can be made into some guitar synthesizer tones.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

mooncaine

I like where you're going with that. I'm watching the video and thinking, too.

scratch17

Melodyne 4.2.0.020 is out with ARA 2 support in Logic 10.4.2 with no OS restrictions I can see. You must use this version of Logic to get ARA 2, however.

From the Logic Pro 10.4.2 release notes:

ARA

Region Gain is now applied properly to regions sent to Melodyne using ARA.
    Compressed audio formats now work with ARA in Logic Pro.
    Bouncing a file sent to Melodyne via ARA no longer breaks its connection with Melodyne.
    Muting regions sent to Melodyne using ARA no longer causes them to lose their ARA data if they are not first unmuted before first playback.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R